Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:51 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
small town rural life in the delta is different, it is just not a "bad" different.

luvvarkansas, i respect your opinion, i am a little overprotective of an area that raised me, my kids and now raising my grandkids. (and we are all still here by choice)
latunafish, I respect yours also. You are correct, there are positive aspects and beauty to be found in the delta, but I've had 50-something years of it and I'm done with it. I was born to live in the mountains! I like cool, clear waters, not warm, muddy, brown sludge, which is what the majority of our creeks, rivers, and lakes are around here.

One positive of the delta is the ability to see the sunset without having to find a mountain top. I don't personally enjoy watching cotton grow, though. I do enjoy looking at live oaks, though. Beautiful, beautiful trees.

Oh, another positive is the straight roads. It does take longer to drive a mile in the mountains than in the delta!

AND the topsoil....rich, black, earthy.

To each his own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 01:24 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,403,751 times
^^^ 10-4 my friend!

if i had to say what my biggest complaint of the delta is, it would be mosquitoes. but, at least you can see them, those pesky ticks and chiggers (in them thar hills) are sneaky.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:00 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
The difference is that rice fields are flooded most of the summer and mosquitoes breed in that stagnant water. If you live in the country next to the fields you definitely noticed the difference when there is rice next to your house vs another crop.
My wife grew up with cotton fields less than 200 feet from her house. As the sun goes down you can hear a faint buzz as the insects make their way out of the fields.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
^^^ 10-4 my friend!

if i had to say what my biggest complaint of the delta is, it would be mosquitoes. but, at least you can see them, those pesky ticks and chiggers (in them thar hills) are sneaky.
I was eaten up with chiggers this past summer. The first time in Eudora and then the outskirts of Portland about 2 weeks later.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
latunafish, I respect yours also. You are correct, there are positive aspects and beauty to be found in the delta, but I've had 50-something years of it and I'm done with it. I was born to live in the mountains! I like cool, clear waters, not warm, muddy, brown sludge, which is what the majority of our creeks, rivers, and lakes are around here.

One positive of the delta is the ability to see the sunset without having to find a mountain top. I don't personally enjoy watching cotton grow, though. I do enjoy looking at live oaks, though. Beautiful, beautiful trees.

Oh, another positive is the straight roads. It does take longer to drive a mile in the mountains than in the delta!

AND the topsoil....rich, black, earthy.

To each his own!
About 10 years ago my mother-in-law was helping my wife with landscaping our yard. After seeing how well some special Crepe Myrtles looked in our front yard, my mother-in-law bought some as well. Our house is about 15 miles east of the delta in northwest MS. I'd say we are about even with Conway on a map. My mother-in-law lives very close to the Ashley / Chicot county line in the middle of the delta. Our trees are about 8 feet tall now. Hers are about 20 feet tall. We constantly fertilize them to help them grow. My mother-in-law hasn't touched them since they were planted.

If you can't grow something in the rich, delta soil then you definitely have a brown thumb.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:50 PM

119 posts, read 244,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Granted, I only drove through Arkansas, many of the backroads as well. But, Western Arkansas felt like a completely different world. Few people, lots of hills and mountains, very 'out there' in an almost 'Out West USA' kind of way. Sort of, I mean, the driving along major highways for awhile without seeing much stuff all over the sides of the road.

But when I entered into Eastern Arkansas, it felt much more Missisippi Delta through and through.

They felt like really different places, but I've never heard or had a sense from anyone from Arkansas that they were like that. What dyall think?
the state is essentialy split in half from southwest to northeast. the nw part is "upland", including ozarks and ouachitas and se is lowland or delta

Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Granted, I only drove through Arkansas, many of the backroads as well. But, Western Arkansas felt like a completely different world. Few people, lots of hills and mountains, very 'out there' in an almost 'Out West USA' kind of way. Sort of, I mean, the driving along major highways for awhile without seeing much stuff all over the sides of the road.

But when I entered into Eastern Arkansas, it felt much more Missisippi Delta through and through.

They felt like really different places, but I've never heard or had a sense from anyone from Arkansas that they were like that. What dyall think?
You would be correct. They are completely different. The Ozarks and Ouachita mountain regions are culturally more closely aligned with the Appalachians regions. Southern Arkansas and the Delta region is more "deep south." You'll even notice a difference in the accents if you listen carefully.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:05 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Does the rice get in any local cuisines? I would imagine that rice farmers have got to be making rice dishes for their families, for example?

Or is it mostly for export?
Not so much in the traditional ozarks dishes.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:36 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times
I think Arkansas is almost like two different states. The western side identifies more with Texas and the west, while the eastern side is very much "deep south" in culture. I'm not exactly sure where the dividing line is, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas