Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:48 PM

45 posts, read 154,965 times

Advertisements

I have been glued to CNN every since the Iowa Caucuses trying to follow all of the presidential candidates campaigns! I am very curious to see how Arkansans will vote. What do you think about all of the candidates??? We probably don't need to argue about the candidates and their issues, but I would just like to know who everyone is considering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 PM

19 posts, read 129,716 times
I won't try to persuade you to my candidate, but will instead answer the question of how I think Arkansas will vote. It will be for Huckabee, especially in the Republican stronghold of northwest Arkansas. I don't think that there is much nostalgia for Hillary Clinton, and I think that the state is still too racist to vote for Obama, so I think the Democratic portions of the state will go for Edwards, as the public here is too lazy to look for information about any other candidates. The final majority of presidential ballots will go Republican. (BTW, I am not a Republican.)

Old 01-09-2008, 07:52 AM

Good Insight

Old 01-09-2008, 08:06 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
I think fulluvit may be on target with regards to Northwest Arkansas, but get out of the Republican strongholds around NWA and Little Rock and you run into Democrats. Which is why so much of our Congressional delegation is Democratic. So while Hillary isn't popular in NWA and around LR, there may be some residual loyalty to Bill that will rub off. In the south part of the state and along the Mississippi, Obama may be able to create some excitement. I wouldn't vote for Huckabee if you paid me to; some of the local Republicans I've spoken with are actually behind McCain. A lot can happen between now and February 5th. I think it's going to be an interesting day.

DC

Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 AM

Why do they prefer McCain over Huckabee? Also, is the Feb 5th primary JUST a democratic primary?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Some people didn't like Huckabee as a governor. Some people liked Huckabee, but don't think he has the experience or knowledge to adequately deal with the foreign policy issues facing the country. Some people are concerned about Huckabee's style of legislating lifestyle choices. As for the people I personally know who are supporting McCain, some favor his political positions, but mostly I hear that he is a man of strong character and they admire the integrity and honesty he seems to have. They admire his military record and they want a President they can respect.

As far as I know, the Republican and Democratic primaries are held in conjunction in Arkansas. In my precinct, you go in and present your ID, then tell the poll workers which primary you wish to vote in. They give you a ballot and you vote. Last year they added the electronic voting machines as well as the punch-card votes. If you vote with the punch-card, there are separate boxes (Republican/Democratic) to put your ballot into to be sure it is counted correctly. Even if you are registered to one party, you can vote in the other party's primary if you are so inclined.

DC

Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 AM

Great info! Thanks.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:06 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulluvit View Post
I won't try to persuade you to my candidate, but will instead answer the question of how I think Arkansas will vote. It will be for Huckabee, especially in the Republican stronghold of northwest Arkansas. I don't think that there is much nostalgia for Hillary Clinton, and I think that the state is still too racist to vote for Obama, so I think the Democratic portions of the state will go for Edwards, as the public here is too lazy to look for information about any other candidates. The final majority of presidential ballots will go Republican. (BTW, I am not a Republican.)
O please leave the race card in your pocket where it belongs.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:27 PM

635 posts, read 1,746,403 times
I was curious to know an estimate of how many blacks of the total A.A. population are registered as Democrats in AR!

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2008, 03:07 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
I was curious to know an estimate of how many blacks of the total A.A. population are registered as Democrats in AR!

Thanks!
Most are registered as Democrats no matter the state they are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas