Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM

23 posts, read 64,288 times

Advertisements

I am trying to locate an internet service provider. I'm in a remote area east of Little Rock. So far I have HugesNet and Starband . Any other suggestions would be welcome. My daughter also mentioned that I should look into wireless but isn't that just for laptops. I've not heard of a wireless card I can use for my desktop I spoke with the phone company and neither broadband or dialup is available thru them, I was hoping to get a bundled deal on services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 01:16 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
IMO, the cost of satellite broadband is not worth what you get. You still have to have a landline connection of some form for your uplink. Performance wise, You're downloads will be quick and you might never notice the upload difference unless you upload big photos to share or something else. I love my satellite TV but the cost for internet (around $100/month when I looked a couple of years ago) made it just not an option for me. I stuck it out with dialup until we moved to an area that had DSL available. Are you so remote you don't have cable? You can get wireless cards or USB adaptors for a desktop but without a network nearby it'll be useless and if you're too remote for DSL then no one's going to be running a wireless network closely enough for you to reach. Sounds like you either pay the exorbitant prices for satellite or stick with dialup for now.

Last edited by Stormcrow73; 01-08-2008 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: wanted to clarify something that might have been confusing

Old 01-08-2008, 05:59 PM

23 posts, read 64,288 times
I was told by numerous people that I didn't need a landline with satellite. They said dialup wasn't available I'm guessing the phone lines are maybe too old for anything but voice. The phone company said "The address is 25.235 feet from the DSL remote. " Whatever that's suppose to mean I have NO idea.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:44 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desederada View Post
I was told by numerous people that I didn't need a landline with satellite. They said dialup wasn't available I'm guessing the phone lines are maybe too old for anything but voice. The phone company said "The address is 25.235 feet from the DSL remote. " Whatever that's suppose to mean I have NO idea.
Just checked and you are right! You no longer need the landline for uplink!! When I priced it you still did need it. It's rather amazing that such a small transceiver can actually uplink.

As for dialup, I'd bet it's only that your local phone provider does not offer the service. You could still purchase dialup from any of the national IPs, MSN, Earthlink, yada yada.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:54 PM

93 posts, read 417,819 times
WINDSTREAM is another company that may be available for you.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Keep in mind that on a satellite Internet connection (at least through Direcway/Hughesnet), you are limited to 168MB per day. Once you go over your 168MB threshold you are dropped to 28kbps (very slow dialup) speeds for 24 hours. If you do any large file downloading or streaming video, you want to stay away from satellite Internet.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:42 PM

11 posts, read 38,471 times
I just spend a WEEK researching this topic and concluded that Alltel wireless broadband access is the way to go. I signed up for and am VERY pleased. (NE AR for me too) see my report and others at
DSL · Cable · VOIP · Security · Satellite · Fiber · News · Tips · Reviews · Community · Tools - dslreports.com

Review of Alltel Axess - dslreports.com

let me know if you have more questions.

Satellite service and restricitons seem horrific.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 PM

11 posts, read 38,471 times
PS. Alltell sells a UT STARCOM card that fits in teh USB port of your PC. No laptop necessary. (that's what I got)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas