Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 09:27 PM

134 posts, read 192,360 times

Advertisements

I also posted this in the MO forum.

Recently work had me make a much longer drive than normal from my home east of Columbia, MO to Alma, AR. Being originally from Joplin I can remember as a kid making trips south into SW MO and NW AR (as far as Ft. Smith). I remember how scenic it was but since I didn't drive at the time didn't think about how dangerous some sections were to drive. I remember as a late teen (and driving) seeing a sign somewhere around Neosho about how many people had died on that section of US-71 or something similar.

My trip this time down I-49/US-71 was much quicker, obviously. I forgot how beautiful that area is, esp. once you get south of Fayetteville.

Anyone have any stories, history, or old map pics of the area they'd be willing to share? Going to cross-post this in the AR forum, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 10:03 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
Oh yes, I-49 between Fayetteville and Van Buren is something else! Just beautiful.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
I remember there were signs at the beginning of 71 near Mountainburg. Huge signs that said something to the effect of "20 People killed on this highway, don't you be next". Boston Mountain was a thriving tourist area, with shops, and a tower you could walk up for views. I remember driving this in a snowstorm taking 3 hours to make it from Fayetteville to Alma.

The bypass made travelling a lot faster, but the old 71 route is just beautiful.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:46 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,366 times
Drove Tractor Trailer many times on this Highway in the '80's. Always interesting. Figured I made it I was doing good.

brushrunner

Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,349 times
I've been up the tower a few times. There is still one gift shop open, I was taking it once a week recently and it looked like they probably get a decent amount of business. The grocery store in Mountainburg had a sign up for a going out of business sale a month or two ago though and it looks empty now.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:02 PM

950 posts, read 923,773 times
hwy 71............one of the few highways that ran from Canada all the way south

Old 04-03-2015, 05:31 PM

176 posts, read 419,857 times
When I was 7 years old in 1974 my dad moved us to Mountainburg AR from Iowa.
We lived in an old log cabin that is still there that was just north of the Artist Point gift shop on the other side of hwy 71 for about a year.
You could actually hear the trucks roll over on the corner just south of Artist Point real often there was several deaths there.
In 1974 most of hwy 71 south of Kansas City was all 2 lanes and there was a lot of narrow bridges that were barely wide enough for 2 trucks to pass on.
We ended up moving to the Rogers area where I grew up and lived until 1991 when I moved to MN.
I just moved back to the Rogers area in 2013 it is amazing how much better the roads are here now.
If you look up the Mountainburg AR face book page there is a lot of very interesting pictures and stories about hwy 71 in that area.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:59 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,747 times
We have driven 71 a few times. There are some amazing overlooks in that area. I found it disappointing, though, the condition of some of the properties along the route. A few places in particular were very trashy and run-down. I guess some of it is due to the transition from being the "main drag" to being an alternate route. Some of it just showed a lack of pride in ownership. Its a very scenic road, otherwise. I can't imagine driving it with 18-wheelers. Some of those hairpin turns are crazy.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:20 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,847 times
I have made several trips up US 71 in my life. I had family in Fort Smith,and we have also gone to a few Razorback basketball games over the years. We go up Arkansas Hwy 8 to Highway 27 at Norman,and then pick up 270 at Mt. Ida,and the 71 from Y City up to Fort Smith and beyond. I've only been up 540 once or twice. It's a nice road,and the tunnel is cool. I still prefer US 71 though. Interstates make me feel like I'm in a hurry. I like to slow down and look at stuff!

The first trip we made to Fayetville after 540 opened up was for a basketball game. The road was maybe a year or two old. We went on the interstate going up,and came back down 71 on the way home. This was on a Sunday when students would've been coming home mind you. I think we met a grand total of ten cars from the south part of Fayetville to Van Buren. For real. I think we went 20 miles without seeing another car. There were kids playing football in the middle of the road in one of the little towns! They looked at us like we were from MARS. It was like "Hey look a car." I couldn't believe the difference. It had only been a couple of years since our last visit,and the interstate wasn't opened then. It was like a 50 mile ghost town.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:59 PM

971 posts, read 1,452,742 times
In the olden days US 71 went through Carthage about four blocks West of the city square. 71 followed Garrison all the way through Carthage. My grandmothers home was midway at the top of a slight grade. I could hear the semi’s powering up the grade and rattling the curved glass of the windows. Around 1955 a bypass was built around Carthage.

US 71 and Route 66 joined at the first stoplight North of Carthage. The two highways ran South to Oak street where they split passing The Boots Motel and café. That was at the third stoplight. The city added a fourth stoplight at the bottom of the grade which caused more noise from the semi’s as they shifted up the grade. 71 continued South to I44 which was known as Fidelity Corner.

In September of 2007 I drove through Berryville to Mena for a genealogy trip. On the way North I drove up US 71. Keep in mind that I am a country boy in my 8th generation. I have never in my life seen such beauty in the countryside as I saw on that drive up 71. The leaves were breathtaking. IMO

Last edited by Bluff_Dweller; 04-21-2015 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas