Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:59 AM

3 posts, read 4,950 times

Advertisements

We first visited HSV in 2014 and have been back three times since on retirement recon. Beautiful area but IMHO, poorly managed. Have followed all docs and debates and have concluded the POA is in dire straights.
1. They are carrying a $14 million dollar debt (unpaid and uncollected dues), which continues to escalate at 3 million/year.
2. They are using POA dues to subsidize failed revenue from golf courses, restaurants & to fund pipe dream projects.
3. They have entered agreements with Troon (Golf Management Grp) for golf [and soon to be restaurants], without disclosing agreement financial details or costs to HSV.
4.The POA forced a second election (after it was defeated the first time) to raise POA dues from $37 to $65 (for home owners [water metered properties only]). All agree increased revenue is needed, but the way the election was handled pitted home owners against (unimproved) lot owners.
5. They continue to talk about funds for 'dressing up' the community and marketing, at the expense of 30-40 year old infrastructure needs; Failed culverts, damaged trails (from storms), needed road repairs, sewer lines issues, crumbling recreational amenities, et al.
6. We have followed HSV properties on Zillow for 18 months and have worked with realtors with every visit. The ratio of listings-to-sales is consistently two-three dozen per month to a handful of closings. This pattern does not bode well for home values.
7. An agreement btw the developer and a corporation to build a RV/home section is going forward despite concerns of nearby current home owners.
8 All future POA fee increases will fall on the backs of home owners (w/water meters) only, due to the changes made in the
by-laws by the POA Board.

All this information I read in HSV docs, by following their POA board meetings, and from their weekly online newspaper (Village Voice). My wife loves this area and still we go every six months to look, however, I see no way out of their dilemma except to raise POA fees enough to balance their operational budget or to incorporate as a city.

We continue to watch, hoping they will get their 'house in order' and address funding infrastructure needs more and costly collusion agreements less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 08:50 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
It seems to me that the guarded gate would be logically the first amenity to be cut if they had to cut any. What do residents think of that idea? Is that something they really feel they need, or could they do without it? It seems it would be rather inconvenient for having visitors.
The manned gate is one of the features I like. I'm considering buying there and the manned gate is key for me. I also have concerns about how long many of the homes sit on the market with multiple price decreases and still no sale.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,175 times
We were looking at homes in Hot Springs Village but saw that alot of the amenities had been closed for various reasons. Also, alot of the homes we looked at were really outdated and looked like they hadn't been lived in in many years. The whole village just had a weird vibe to it- kinda of a Stepford Wives kind of feel. Not welcoming or warm- kind of eerie. We also hear there had been 2 murder's in the village and that there were meth houses. They said the HOA was going up to $68 too. We decided to look elsewhere.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:50 PM

5 posts, read 12,281 times
Default Housing situation

Anyone else who is a HSV resident have an opinion about Marilyn's post? I, too, was thinking about looking in HSV, but the housing situation, for sure, is very concerning. I have been studying realtor.com for quite some time and you are right about houses sitting and sitting without selling... Plus, the age of many of the homes is concerning as well... In the marketing materials, they tout one of HSV's selling points as being a "private" community with no "government" influence and I guess that's why the POA fees are now at $65 per month...I'm afraid if I bought a home down there, I'd have a lot of problems selling it and then would be stuck there if I wanted to leave...

Marilyn, curious as to where you ended up if you have moved yet?

Last edited by southernsongbird; 11-12-2016 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: needed to add a question

Old 11-13-2016, 12:48 PM

340 posts, read 516,133 times
Come see for yourself. I find very little truth in Marilyn's post.

We have neighbors that moved here this spring. They have said more than once that they love it and are happy to be here.

We have friends that lived here and decided to move nearer the VA hospital (disabled vet) and they had no problem selling their home. There are some homes that have been for sale for a long time, one near us is priced at $350K, which is probably at least twice what it would realistically sell for. That house is sitting empty, but is certainly not neglected, looks very nice.

As far as things being fixed ...

- The DeSoto center has reopened with a very nice restaurant and a golf pro shop
- the damaged gas station has been renovated and converted into a HSV Police training center
- the DeSoto Marina has been revamped and is now called "Waypoint". They are listed as a "destination" outfitter
- Tanner's restaurant that closed in the village has reopened just outside the east gate and is a very nice restaurant. The old location inside the village has reopened with new owners, but we have not been there.
- the Cranfords grocery store near the west gate is being remodeled
- Dollar Tree opened a new store near the west gate
- new Hibachi/Sushi restaurant near the west gate

Now the bad ...
- The Cranfords grocery store near the east gate has closed, but there apparently is interest in reopening under new ownership.
- the restaurant near the Coronado center has closed
- the boat ramp on lake Balboa is closed while the POA works to eradicate an invade weed.

Last edited by jimnelson1; 11-13-2016 at 01:11 PM..

Old 11-13-2016, 03:58 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Manned gates in most of Texas means the community owns the roads and maintains them. This is huge cost wise. What kind of protection does a guard provide? Looks secure but is it. If any serious threat attacked the gate I doubt the guards could do a thing to stop them or slow them down. Looks good but smells bad

Old 11-13-2016, 06:19 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Manned gates in most of Texas means the community owns the roads and maintains them. This is huge cost wise. What kind of protection does a guard provide? Looks secure but is it. If any serious threat attacked the gate I doubt the guards could do a thing to stop them or slow them down. Looks good but smells bad
You're missing the ...reason... for having a gate.

Not to keep out thugs from " attacking the gate but to keep out people who don't live there and have no business entering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas