Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 12:36 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,402,902 times
we really are ok down here, we have shoes, and 4 lanes roads, with a macdonald's here and there. we have doctors, lawyers, hospitals and manufacturing plants ranging from secret military stuff to sewing up underwear. we have churches and bars, courts and cars, schools and theaters, we also have people that get up everyday and staff all the aforementioned institutions and industries. in the last few years, we have had an influx of new young families moving into south arkansas and loving the laid back and safe area to raise a family. we have some of the best food in the state, and that is my opinion, as i travel the state and i eat. we have some of the best farmers in the world, that are raising and harvesting record yields year after year.

so, before you make a blanket statement about an area, any area, go there and see for yourself.

and speaking of tourist, just come to south arkansas during deer or duck season. stay in one of our many lodges and have a first class hunt or camp out on some of the public land and enjoy the hunt. all the area motels stay pretty full for hunting season. hunting is an industry for our area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 09:37 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
we really are ok down here, we have shoes, and 4 lanes roads, with a macdonald's here and there. we have doctors, lawyers, hospitals and manufacturing plants ranging from secret military stuff to sewing up underwear. we have churches and bars, courts and cars, schools and theaters, we also have people that get up everyday and staff all the aforementioned institutions and industries. in the last few years, we have had an influx of new young families moving into south arkansas and loving the laid back and safe area to raise a family. we have some of the best food in the state, and that is my opinion, as i travel the state and i eat. we have some of the best farmers in the world, that are raising and harvesting record yields year after year.

so, before you make a blanket statement about an area, any area, go there and see for yourself.

and speaking of tourist, just come to south arkansas during deer or duck season. stay in one of our many lodges and have a first class hunt or camp out on some of the public land and enjoy the hunt. all the area motels stay pretty full for hunting season. hunting is an industry for our area!
(1st paragraph).........and you , in south Arkansas, even have something us in the Ozarks don't have......

Mosquitos !....lots and lots of mosquitos !

Old 11-05-2016, 09:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
(1st paragraph).........and you , in south Arkansas, even have something us in the Ozarks don't have......

Mosquitos !....lots and lots of mosquitos !
didn't know about the mosquitos there but certainly know how bad they are in Tunica which isn't far away. shihict

Old 11-05-2016, 10:04 AM

any area of south Arkansas that promotes duck hunting has many,many acres of rice farms.

rice farms= flooded fields=mosquitos.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:04 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
didn't know about the mosquitos there but certainly know how bad they are in Tunica which isn't far away. shihict
Actually, Tunica isn't nearly as bad as SE Arkansas. We would ride our bikes behind the mosquito truck because the mist kept us cool and it was the only place outside with no mosquitoes.

When I moved to Monticello to go to college it was great. Right now I'm about 20 miles east of Tunica and the mosquito population is similar to Monticello.

On the topic of brain-drain, I'm one of them. Out of all of the honor grads from my high school, I know of 1 that still lives in the area.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:13 PM

536 posts, read 822,571 times
I would like to defend southern Arkansas but when you bring in the mosquitoes... There is no retort for that. They're horrible. I don't know if they've gotten worse or not but it seems like it. Maybe growing up there I just thought it was "normal" so it didn't bother me as much, but going back now in the summer the mosquitoes are awful. I guesss mosquito repellent makes it bearable if you don't mind smelling like mosquito repellent.

Oh, you don't have mosquitoes in northern Arkansas?

Old 11-07-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
I would like to defend southern Arkansas but when you bring in the mosquitoes... There is no retort for that. They're horrible. I don't know if they've gotten worse or not but it seems like it. Maybe growing up there I just thought it was "normal" so it didn't bother me as much, but going back now in the summer the mosquitoes are awful. I guesss mosquito repellent makes it bearable if you don't mind smelling like mosquito repellent.

Not where I live !

I go for my daily walk in summer bareback and have never been bitten by a mosquito.

I sit on my back porch from sunset until dark and don't get bothered by mosquitos.

I don't even have mosquito repellant in my house and never heard of communities up here spraying before ball games etc.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Actually, Tunica isn't nearly as bad as SE Arkansas. We would ride our bikes behind the mosquito truck because the mist kept us cool and it was the only place outside with no mosquitoes.

When I moved to Monticello to go to college it was great. Right now I'm about 20 miles east of Tunica and the mosquito population is similar to Monticello.

On the topic of brain-drain, I'm one of them. Out of all of the honor grads from my high school, I know of 1 that still lives in the area.
wow, all I can remember about those devils in Tunica was going to valet in Aug. one year to get our car as we were headed back to Texas. It was about 7am and the creatures were everywhere. I guess I am happy the few times we have been in SE AR we have just been passing through and haven't experienced the guys.

BTW: it is sad the gambling industry in Tunica seems to be drying up. It was such a financual dounce for the state. We are not big gamblers, but used to enjoy driving over once a year and spending a couple of days. Maybe if they could have added a sports and race book it would have helped. Who knows?

Old 11-08-2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post

no we do not have them or not many. In fact we had more, growing up in So. Ca. believe it or not. That isn't saying we have none, but certainly they are not a concern. We have our share of chiggers and ticks for sure. You see mosquitoes near the lakes some, especially early mornings.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:35 PM

92 posts, read 57,978 times
Its usually the younger generation that wants to leave the nest and "go west." The grass in not always greener on the other side. With the bigger cities comes more crime, traffic and a higher cost of living. Daughter #1 lived in Dallas as an RN, where the rent for 2BR decent apartment, car payments, etc. took all she earned. Car insurance went up because of the dare devil fender benders and the moving violations. It takes a lot of concentration to drive in Dallas during the rush hours, really not worth the stress. She made money but did not/could not save any so she faced reality and moved to Monroe and is doing better. I see people driving new vehicles with seven year loans and living in nice homes in hock up to their eyeballs and they seem to be happy, it's all in what floats your boat. I am retired and have my little shack paid for with zero major debt(#peace and calm) which is priceless. I have health insurance, a good used car and truck, I feel blessed to be alive, living in boring warm sunny south Arkansas where we can see spring coming after February. Most real pleasure are not man made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas