Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 05:33 PM

29 posts, read 37,952 times

Advertisements

I delivered mail in the Bentonville/Bella Vista area starting in 1983. I watched all of NW Arkansas grow. I remember when there was 8 miles of farm land between Rogers and Bentonville. Not today. From the time you cross the state line into Bella Vista town does not stop until you get south of Fayetteville. That being said, I would rather live in the NW Arkansas area than most anywhere else. I have lived just across the state line in Missouri most of my life. Spent time in Kansas City and Chicago. Would rather be here. Everybody has their opinions, as everyone is entitled to, but I would rather live in the Bentonville/Bella Vista if I were moving to NW Arkansas. I like Missouri because taxes are cheaper and, for me it is a 20 drive to what I need. I also work in Rogers and it is just a short drive. Visit the area and see for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 06:12 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Nmnita,
I will be living on Social Security & investments. I am hoping to find an inexpensive mobile home or reasonable apartment. After all the deductions, I receive $1074 per month. My rent is currently based on my income, although they did include the investment but it is still affordable. I have had to transfer some money but would rather put that into housing and use my SS check for living; food, heat, ac, etc.
Can anyone direct me towards that end?

Old 06-06-2016, 04:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildridge View Post
That's your opinion. Again, unless you have walked that path, you don't know what it feels like to be told not to flaunt. Some men are feminine by nature and some women are masculine by nature. Whether they're gay or not, just being different is usually all it takes for a bigot to assume someone is flaunting.

As far as political candidates go, it's no secret how Bart Hester and Bob Ballinger feel about LGBT folks. Keep in mind, the majority of their constituents voted for them and they represent the mindset of the majority of people who live there. As for individual towns, Fayetteville is split down the middle. Voters repealed the LGBT civil rights ordinance by a 52% vote. Later, the voters passed another, similar ordinance by 52.74% vote. So half the town wants one thing and the other half wants something else. Asking me to compare NWA or the rest of AR is like trying to get me to choose between a cow patty and a horse apple. NWA is a more desirable place to live because of better roads, schools, jobs, etc. However, It's only diverse because people move there and water it down a bit, not because the natives want it to be.
Go back and read what you are saying: especially the last sentence: you are not getting the entire picture. No one is claiming there are those who have lived here their entire lives that do not have prejudices, but the diversity of the region , is well known because of the number of people, from all over the world living here now. And yes, comparing it with the rest of the state is not possible, but my point is simply: it is very diverse. I am not saying why. It also was very blue until about 10 years ago:

I am and most of us are aware of the break down of how LGBT votes went: I think what you are saying is a good thing: it shows a balance which is what most of us want. It doesn't show a leaning toward extreme candidates as you put it. You were able to name two candidates you totally disagree with, does that indicate all of our elected officials are extreme as you mentioned earlier? Of course not. You know a better place for this topic might be the political forum.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Nmnita,
I will be living on Social Security & investments. I am hoping to find an inexpensive mobile home or reasonable apartment. After all the deductions, I receive $1074 per month. My rent is currently based on my income, although they did include the investment but it is still affordable. I have had to transfer some money but would rather put that into housing and use my SS check for living; food, heat, ac, etc.
Can anyone direct me towards that end?
Here are just a few suggestions as to areas that might work for you plus you may want to contact the Benton county and Washington county dept of social services. I have a friend from our church who has more information. I will see her today as we water walk every other day together. I will ask her for who to contact. There are lots of places that would probably work for you. I can think of a couple of them, but don't know how to go about getting information. There are places in Bentonville, Gravette and here in Bella Vista. When I get the info I will try and remember to PM you.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:16 AM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Thank you.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:45 PM

141 posts, read 171,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Go back and read what you are saying: especially the last sentence: you are not getting the entire picture. No one is claiming there are those who have lived here their entire lives that do not have prejudices, but the diversity of the region , is well known because of the number of people, from all over the world living here now. And yes, comparing it with the rest of the state is not possible, but my point is simply: it is very diverse. I am not saying why. It also was very blue until about 10 years ago:

I am and most of us are aware of the break down of how LGBT votes went: I think what you are saying is a good thing: it shows a balance which is what most of us want. It doesn't show a leaning toward extreme candidates as you put it. You were able to name two candidates you totally disagree with, does that indicate all of our elected officials are extreme as you mentioned earlier? Of course not. You know a better place for this topic might be the political forum.
I'm sorry, I thought your comment about homosexuality not being frowned upon as long as it isn't flaunted was a statement partially supporting why you think NWA is very diverse.

Voter's mindset is important when I think about diversity. I didn't say all NWA candidates are extreme. The two I mentioned are a state rep and senator, whose districts include a sizable chunk of NWA. If you're only talking about the city of Fayetteville, then I'd say it's 50/50 as I stated earlier.

Would you say that you pretty much speak for the majority of NWA when you say it's diverse?

Old 06-06-2016, 03:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I thought your comment about homosexuality not being frowned upon as long as it isn't flaunted was a statement partially supporting why you think NWA is very diverse.

Voter's mindset is important when I think about diversity. I didn't say all NWA candidates are extreme. The two I mentioned are a state rep and senator, whose districts include a sizable chunk of NWA. If you're only talking about the city of Fayetteville, then I'd say it's 50/50 as I stated earlier.

Would you say that you pretty much speak for the majority of NWA when you say it's diverse?
I don't think anyone has to speak for "the majority of NWA" when describing its diversity. The census figures speak to that. In terms of Arkansas, the area is very diverse. The area has dealt with the diversity (which was virtually non-existent 50 years ago with the exception of the U of A), and the changes that have come with the growing diversity pretty well. Are there still some people resistant to change? Of course. But in truth, the number of people who've always lived in Northwest Arkansas are significantly outnumbered by the people who have moved into the area.

Of course, you seem centered on the LGBT issues, and I would point out that there has been a seismic shift in attitudes towards those issues only in the past decade. Even President Obama started his administration opposed to same-sex marriage. Arkansas is a red state, a conservative state dominated by Baptists, so it might not have shifted as much as the nation has, but it has definitely shifted.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:32 PM

141 posts, read 171,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think anyone has to speak for "the majority of NWA" when describing its diversity. The census figures speak to that. In terms of Arkansas, the area is very diverse. The area has dealt with the diversity (which was virtually non-existent 50 years ago with the exception of the U of A), and the changes that have come with the growing diversity pretty well. Are there still some people resistant to change? Of course. But in truth, the number of people who've always lived in Northwest Arkansas are significantly outnumbered by the people who have moved into the area.

Of course, you seem centered on the LGBT issues, and I would point out that there has been a seismic shift in attitudes towards those issues only in the past decade. Even President Obama started his administration opposed to same-sex marriage. Arkansas is a red state, a conservative state dominated by Baptists, so it might not have shifted as much as the nation has, but it has definitely shifted.
Obviously, I see things differently, so my opinion will be different. When someone requests information for an area, I believe it's helpful that they hear everyone's opinion, even if it's different from the popular opinion.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Obviously, I see things differently, so my opinion will be different. When someone requests information for an area, I believe it's helpful that they hear everyone's opinion, even if it's different from the popular opinion.
And I agree with you. It is helpful for someone seeking information to hear everyone's opinion.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:34 PM

16 posts, read 24,216 times
Thank you for all of the helpful comments. This move is looking likely. I'm now interested in Benton/Saline County, Maumelle or Greenbrier. He will work in NLR, so we need to look into the commute. Need either GREAT public schools or close access to a very reputable private school. Houses are so inexpensive that think we will be able to swing private school. We are so spoiled with our amazing public education here in MN and it saddens me to be leaving it with the ages that our kids are (11, 9, 7, 4). We are Christians and will get plugged into a church for sure. Up here we attend a Baptist church, which isn't a super common denomination in MN. There are about a quadrillion of them in every town in AR though! I saw there's an Acts 29 church near Benton whose website looked intriguing. Anyway, thoughts on Benton schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas