Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:16 AM

7 posts, read 26,371 times

Advertisements

A couple of quick questions

My wife and I are 40, and our son is 9, realtors have been telling me that the age of residents has gone down, and it is no longer all retired folks. Is this true?

I see Lake Balboa lakefront homes are the most expensive, how do the other lakes compare for a water sports family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 11:40 PM

288 posts, read 1,080,396 times
Yes, the Village is getting younger, it is not just retirees anymore.

The Hot Springs Village website has information about the lakes:
Hot Springs Village, AR - Recreation - Lakes, Pavilions, Marinas, Beaches (http://www.hsvpoa.org/Recreation%20Lakes.htm - broken link)

Old 09-23-2009, 12:49 PM

506 posts, read 651,695 times
Red face Village Lakes, Kids

98% of the homeowners have no kids. My grandson who lives with us has ONE kid to play with and we have to either drive or go pick up. Yes, there are school busses with kids in them driving through the village but to see kids OFF the bus is something unusual except at the pools during summer. EVen the big church we attend has no more than a dozen kids of any age.
If you move here wanting to fish, forget it. We have never heard of one person catching a fish here and to SEE a boat on a lake fishing is Very rare. The boats and barges stay in the dock.
This is a retirement community; trust me on that. We've lived her 9 years. It takes me 22 minutes to get to Walmart driiving 50mph. But, then, we live on the opposite end of the village. That gets so old.
I have never seen a fence at anyone's home. I wish we had one; we have 2 dogs in the house.
If you crave peace and quiet and no traffic? You'd like it here; we do.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 AM

(1) Most of the kids live on the west end of the Village (closer to the schools). It sounds like Susan is on the east end and there aren't many children on the east end.

(2) I used to drive 22 minutes to get to a Walmart in Little Rock, the difference was that it was only 5 miles!

(3) I have a friend who fishes the lakes all the time, he isn't there to get a sunburn! There are pictures in the local newspaper all the time "showing off" the local catches, and there are active fishing groups.

Examples from the the local newspaper (there is something almost every week):
http://www.hsvvoice.com/news/2009/08.../B_Section.pdf Page 5 - Bass Seminar
http://www.hsvvoice.com/news/2009/08.../B_Section.pdf Page 3 - Bass Tournament Results
http://www.hsvvoice.com/news/2009/08.../B_Section.pdf Page 3 - Picture of 6# Bass
http://www.hsvvoice.com/news/2009/08.../B_Section.pdf Page 5 - Fishing news

And if the HSV lakes aren't enough, its a short hop to Lake Ouachita (a huge lake, and one of the cleanest lakes in the world), and another short trip to Lake Maumelle (NE of HSV), Lake Catherine or Lake Hamilton (South of Hot Springs), or DeGray Lake (further South of Hot Springs).

Susan is right, there are no "privacy fences", the maximum height allowed is 4 foot, no chain-link unless vinyl coated.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Like Bella Vista Hot Springs Village is changing rapidly but yes, there are still a majority of residence who are seniors. This doesn't mean you will have no kids for your son to hang with. If there are no kids, why would there be a school? We have the same thing here, the west side is newer with more kids. If I had any complain about HSV is would be the restrictions which are a little stricter than what we have but the lack of kids would not be one.

Nita

Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,617,748 times
I will try to give new life to this old thread since we are interest in HSV. We are thinking about a vacation home there, since we love it although it's been almost 10 years since we've visited. We wouldn't mind getting one and perhaps renting it out on a part-time basis, by the weekend, etc.. We know people who have done this with some success. I think the realtors up there might be a bit biased in their opinions (?), but would love to hear from anyone who has done this recently or from a realtor who would give us a realistic opinion. I'd prefer a single family (detached) home, probably less than $120K. And we probably would want to put up some type of fence even if it's a vinyl covered one since we have a couple of dogs who tend to travel with us.

Last edited by ETex2; 01-04-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 AM

ETex2, no problem finding homes in that price range. For the fencing, vinyl coated in a natural color (dark green, brown, etc) is preferred. There are no "privacy fences" in HSV and usually the fences are 4 foot. I currently own 3 homes here, 2 are leased out (long term unfurnished). I've never done short term furnished rentals, but I've considered it. mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-09-2013 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Sorry, that's considered advertising and isn't allowed.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:43 PM

340 posts, read 516,497 times
Jeff, What are the rules on boats? I have seen some covered boats parked behind houses in the Village, some in carports, but from reading the POA regs it seems like the boat parking would have to be approved by the POA?

I have a bass boat and ideally would park it in the garage, but we are finding a distinct lack of homes with a 3 car garage.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Jim,

Boats aren't supposed to be stored outside for extended periods (including boat trailers without the boat). I can check on the "screening" requirements. Most of the 3rd bay garages here are golf-cart sized, but I am seeing more 3-car being built.

Jeff

Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 AM

382 posts, read 588,821 times
I don't have a problem with kids living in the Village, but I hope they do not lose the high quality. Its got low crime and a great place to live. I know people do not love the restrictions but if you don't have them billy bob moves in and has a truck up on blocks with the eng. torn apart in the front yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas