Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,320 times

Advertisements

i got a freind that lives in fayetteville,ar. and she works at the university by what she tells me it's a multidiverse area,and there seems to be a a night life ,how big is my guess but i can get in touch w/her to see if can get some more info or refer her to this sight so she can give you the most info on the area if you'd like she's resided in the area for the past 10 years and he area is growing at a fast rate

Old 03-29-2008, 06:42 AM

27 posts, read 140,929 times
Default Interracial dating in Arkansas

I think most of Arkansas is more broad minded than most people think of us. My daughter lives in upstate NY and I have spent a lot of time there and I did not see a lot of differences from there to here. Sure we aren't Dallas or NYC but we have a lot going for us. Besides if we really wanted Dallas or NYC I imagine we would be there. I think both Central AR and NWA have a lot to offer that the bigger cities have without some of the issues. There are alot of interracial couples here. So I don't think that would be a problem. I do believe you would find a partner of your same education level in Little Rock or NWA just because of the job availability so there would be more appropriate men. A lot of outlying areas of AR don't have very high paying jobs. They are more of the service type. With your education and intelligence you would want someone of your own level there instead of thinking along racial lines. That part won't matter in Arkansas. Hope you find what you are looking for. Also a female social worker in Arkansas. PineHollowgal

Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 18,680 times
Fayetteville is a very "open minded" area. I think you will enjoy it. As for men, good luck. I think they are all married already. (Just my opinion)

Old 03-31-2008, 10:03 PM

350 posts, read 1,287,936 times
LR would probably be the most permissive, followed by Fayetteville and Hot Springs. If you go to NWA I would avoid the other parts (Springdale, Benton Co) in favor of Fayetteville.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:28 AM

12 posts, read 35,650 times
Come one people, we don't live under Jim Crow like our parents or grand parents. People will either accept you or they won't - Just be yourself and do your thing. Moderator cut: EDIT

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-01-2008 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: completely inappropriate

Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 10,482 times
I live in the NWA area. I lived here most of my life. I moved away to the Chicago area, got married and had a bi-racial child and then divorced. I moved back here 2 years ago. I am a 30 year old white woman and I really haven't dated since I moved back here mostly due to the fact that there isn't a good selection of black men here. As for acceptance, I have experienced alot of acceptance and a few times it was not. I live in my hometown that is small, Prairie Grove. I found that some churches(not all) are not accepting. Some of the older folks aren't either, some including my own family. But, as my Dad always says, they will all eventually die and take their bigotism (sp?) with them. I did have an incident this year with my daughter not being invited to a Birthday party because she was brown. A short simple phone call to the parent and they felt pretty stupid considering I grew up with them! But, Fayetteville is more accepting. I would place your bets on that. As for finding a eligible white bachelor, you may have alot more luck than I. One that likes to date black women? I have no idea. But as for me..... I want to get out of this hell hole. I miss having something to do and a large selection of real men that have an education and their heads on straight.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
carrcoy,

Sounds like maybe you have an attitude problem. Of course all of us see some predudiice, this will always be with us, certainly in our life time but I also beleive many have come along way in the past 30 or 40 years. Of couse living in a small town isn't going to produce a huge number of elegible anythings, black, white, short, tall, regardless. Idoubt your problem finding men to date has to do with your child's color as much as just not many around plus maybe you need to lighten up. By the way: many educated men do not have their heads on straight and many uneducated do.

Nita

Old 04-19-2008, 10:02 AM

15 posts, read 47,401 times
CESpeed,

I hope I am not too late to chime in on this subject.....

When I lived in Arkansas up until 2000 or so, it was not uncommon to see interracial relationships of all sorts. I myself dated both a Hispanic woman and an African-American woman (though, not at the same time, mind you) and though some people did stare, it was only because of the initial shock value (and I don't even like the term "shock." It was more or less because we were not the norm). However, once people saw us happy and oblivious to the world, they went on with their own activities.

The key, I think, is to live in a more populated location, instead of some rinky-dink podunk town where they hate anyone who isn't like them. No one, that I have found, has mentioned Hot Springs. You may want to consider this area for it's cultural appeal and proximity to both Little Rock and its urban metropolis and the natural beauty of the Ouachita Mountains. The area is also a polyglot, with plenty of different ethnicities and cultures (relatively speaking, of course).

The one thing about Arkansas is that once you're "in," you're in for life. I found it to be like an initiation ritual, of sorts. But once everyone around you knows and loves you, they'll be the first ones by your side when you are in need.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:27 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Thank you for your supportive words.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:57 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Harrison ,AR, (which I live close to) has a very bad reputation for racism, but not long ago I saw a picture of a newly married couple in the Harrison newspaper. One was black and the other was white. I don't remember which was which. I believe this is a first for Harrison. Times are a-changing. Good luck. I hope you find a compatible place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas