Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,065 times

Advertisements

I just want you all to know, as we sit here in Pennsylvania and see the destruction the storms have caused, we feel for each and every one of you. Our family and other families in our area are keeping all of you in our thoughts, praying for God's best angels to come to the aid of anyone affected by the storms.

You are not alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 01:07 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times
All I can say is bless ya'll's hearts; our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Thank you both for those thoughts.

I have had many friends call and marvel at what has been goung on here, first we had an ice storm, followed by 60mph sustained straight line winds which knocked over trees, damaged houses, and knocked out power, then an F4 tornado, then the flooding...........

I tell them, "yup, it's been a unique spring".

I'm very close to the tornado that went through and did the worse damage in our area. I was in a hidey-hole (what y'all call a storm shelter) 100 yards from it when it went through. It left a landscape that looked like a battlefield.

The towns of Sage and Zion, about 10 miles from me, were all but wiped out. I believe the paper said that of 18 houses in one of the towns, only two were left. Damaged, but not just a bare foundation.

We *all* know at least one person who was badly hurt or killed in that twister.

Along with it came amazing stories.

About 6 miles from me was a very large chicken operation. Multiple gigantic chicken houses with the family's house siting on a small hill. The family was in a cinder block "egg house", tending to eggs when the lights went out. They heard a loud rumble and thought the generator was kicking on.

When the lights didn't come on, they went outside to see what the problem was, and found everything gone but the egg house. Yes, everything, the huge hen houses, their home, the vehicles, tractors, were all gone. Pieces found miles away.

Vehicles were recovered in the area that were brought from as far as 50 miles away. Up in trees, found in the woods during helicopter searches, etc.

Tales of bibles being found, pages opened to relevent passages.

Another round this morning killed 6 in the state, and we just got our power back on an hour or so ago.

We're working hard to get things cleaned up and folk's homes fixed up and the local fire station rebuilt.

We're gettin' there.

Thank you again for your thoughts, I'll pass them on.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Thoughts and prayers to all from us here in MN-what devastion you have suffered.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:50 PM

20 posts, read 73,577 times
We appreciate all the thoughts. We had one death in our town due to the weather damage. Schools were closed because of the damage through the town. It ws not a safe place to go through until some of the debris was cleared.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyjack View Post
We appreciate all the thoughts. We had one death in our town due to the weather damage. Schools were closed because of the damage through the town. It ws not a safe place to go through until some of the debris was cleared.
Certainly hasn't been boring.

I'm still amazed at the height of the debris in the trees from the flooding when I drive into town.

These FEMA people hang around any longer, they're gonna be marrying into the family.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
What I thought was really sad was the looting that seemed to start immediately in the little town of Earle. Everyone hadnt even been accounted for yet and already they were looting. Some people have no soul I guess!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:19 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,462,138 times
Default I feel for you all.

Although a flood that I remember in CA in January of 1982 was nothing in comparison, it may comfort you to know that one looter was caught by neighbors who stripped him naked in 18 degree weather, until the police arrived.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
What I thought was really sad was the looting that seemed to start immediately in the little town of Earle. Everyone hadnt even been accounted for yet and already they were looting. Some people have no soul I guess!
That is unforgivable.

There is no punishment harsh enough for those who prey on victims like that.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:09 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecam222 View Post
Although a flood that I remember in CA in January of 1982 was nothing in comparison, it may comfort you to know that one looter was caught by neighbors who stripped him naked in 18 degree weather, until the police arrived.
I sometimes think "citizen justice" works the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas