Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 05:39 PM

5 posts, read 16,794 times

Advertisements

My parents are looking into moving to arkansas around june 2007 from daytonia beach,fl. With all the huricanes in the past 5 years everything has skyrocketed in prices down there. Can anyone suggest a small town that would be fairly cheap to move there? They are looking into renting a apt for one year unless they could find a house right away.
they both are in very good health for there age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 05:48 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
I lived in Danville, Arkansas waaaay back in the early 80s. It's a nice town, nestled in the Ouachita Mountains of Western Arkansas about 20 miles from Russellville. Nice town, nice people. It has a hospital, some apartments, but as far as I can recall, not much in the way of employment. But, if they are retirees that wouldn't be a problem.
I think Danville has somewhere between 1 or 2000 people. Best of luck to your parents!

Old 11-24-2006, 06:22 PM

thank you for your help. employment is not a problem. They are just looking for a cheaper place to live rent wise,ulities,taxes,grocerys. From everything that i have read about the state it sounds like a great state to move to.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:39 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Arkansas is a nice place, with nice people. The one drawback in certain rural areas are the laws having to do with alcohol and such. If you want to have a beer or go get a beer every now and then you'll have to drive maybe 50 miles to a "wet" county to pick up a six-pack. A small price to pay, especially if you don't drink alcohol!

Old 11-26-2006, 10:18 AM

they have lived in dry areas before.that has not bothered them.one great thing about my parents is that they love to travel,and are in great health considering there age.
years ago my father had the state as part of his terriorty when working full time. i remembering have dinner at the "Coke Mansion" i belive in hot springs.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:50 AM

288 posts, read 1,079,905 times
I have visited Cherokee Village in Northern Arkansas, it could be something they would like. It was a bit too rural for me, but it seemed like a nice place to live.

I live in Hot Springs Village which is about 20 miles from downtown Hot Springs. No apartments, but plenty of long-term rentals (houses / condos) at the same price.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,581 times
Hi, Bella Vista would be a great place for your parents.
They have club houses with activities, golf courses and lakes.
Very close to Bentonville, Rogers, area all within 10 min. We have all seasons so now it is cooler, but it gets hot in the summer. Nice place to live.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:00 PM

19 posts, read 103,482 times
Hot Springs Village....very safe gated community with lots of recreational opportunities and about a 20 minute drive from Hot Springs.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:40 PM

27 posts, read 189,769 times
Hot Springs and Bella Vista are the two top choices, I'm sure. Good healthcare, proximity to beautiful parks, lakes, pools, tennis, golf, etc.... lots of retired people from up North, mostly friendly! Housing is reasonable EVERYWHERE in Arkansas except a few neighborhoods in Little Rock and suburbs, and even those are limited compared to FL, MA, CA, or NY.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:29 PM

96 posts, read 751,155 times
My parents retired to Arkansas a little while back and they absolutely love it there. They moved to a small town of 12,000 called Mountain Home. It is said to be one of the best retirement places, so I'm told. They say the town is gorgeous and the people are very friendly. And, yes, property is cheap there. It's located in the Ozarks, right by the border of Misourri, but they don't get too much snow or weather issues. Good luck to your parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas