Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-27-2016, 03:56 AM
 
Location: Chisago Lakes, Minnesota
3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Reputation: 6567

Advertisements

Been doing research on the Arkansas gator population. As most of you in the AR forum know, we are frequent visitors and also have serious aspirations about relocating to AR at some point, but with small kids who love water the gator thing always makes me nervous. I wanted to get some local takes on how prevalent they actually are. I'm aware that numbers will be higher the further south you are in the state, but are there actual gator populations in places such as Lakes Ouachita and Beaver Lake in NWA?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2016, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Reputation: 49248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Been doing research on the Arkansas gator population. As most of you in the AR forum know, we are frequent visitors and also have serious aspirations about relocating to AR at some point, but with small kids who love water the gator thing always makes me nervous. I wanted to get some local takes on how prevalent they actually are. I'm aware that numbers will be higher the further south you are in the state, but are there actual gator populations in places such as Lakes Ouachita and Beaver Lake in NWA?
Lets just say, people around here who love Gatter meat go to LA to get it. They do not go to Beaver Lake. I never even heard a report about one here. I do remember living in No. Texas, near Lewisville Lake and they had a couple one year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Reputation: 33509
When I lived in south Arkansas they were pretty common to see from time to time. Never heard or saw of any north of Little Rock.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 11:12 AM
 
1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
Reputation: 2725
if i remember correctly, the ark game and fish relocated gators to south ark in the 70's. the ones that they found in lake hamilton over the weekend were stolen from a gator "petting zoo" in downtown hot springs last year. they are small in size at the present time. hopefully, they will not repopulate in the area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 12:43 PM
 
Location: The Natural State
1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Reputation: 1190
Stay out of south AR and don't worry about it. In my archeology work I have bummed around all over Arkansas and have never seen one and have never heard of anyone being attacked by one. They do have a known habitat though so just learn what that is and stay out of it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 01:47 PM
Status: "81 Years, NOT 91 Felonies" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Dallas, TX
5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Reputation: 5696
Agreed with old fossil, speaking as a LA resident who grew up just 15 miles from the AR line. South Arkansas, and perhaps E. Central Ark. too - would be a no-go for you. I don't know about the Ouachita Mtns. - Esp south of a Hot Springs to Mena line, but NW Arkansas for does not have gators. I'd check with Arkansas Game & Fish Commission and Arkansas Wildlife Management for more details.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Chisago Lakes, Minnesota
3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Reputation: 6567
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
if i remember correctly, the ark game and fish relocated gators to south ark in the 70's. the ones that they found in lake hamilton over the weekend were stolen from a gator "petting zoo" in downtown hot springs last year.
Haven't been to it, but I did watch a YouTube video featuring that "petting zoo" in Hot Springs, and it looked kinda nasty. The gators were all piled on top of each other in a very small, cramped pool, and the animals there looked somewhat malnourished. We love zoos, but don't think we'll be frequenting that particular establishment.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Chisago Lakes, Minnesota
3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Reputation: 6567
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do remember living in No. Texas, near Lewisville Lake and they had a couple one year.
Yes, I have seen many reports of them since we've been in N. Texas. Some of the ones they find are quite large, too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 05:38 PM
 
Location: The Natural State
1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Reputation: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Agreed with old fossil, speaking as a LA resident who grew up just 15 miles from the AR line. South Arkansas, and perhaps E. Central Ark. too - would be a no-go for you. I don't know about the Ouachita Mtns. - Esp south of a Hot Springs to Mena line, but NW Arkansas for does not have gators. I'd check with Arkansas Game & Fish Commission and Arkansas Wildlife Management for more details.

Phil, you gotta watch the AGFC because for years they said there were no mountain lions/cougars in Arkansas. When I saw one near Pine Ridge while working an archeology contract for the Ouachita National Forest and reported it to an AGFC Officer, he said it was a "house cat" and I said "it was one of a house cat then because when it's nose crossed the highway shoulder stripe, it's tail was still over the center stripe". Then a friend got the photo of one on his game camera, but the AGFC said it was not a native, it was just passing through .
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2016, 09:25 AM
 
124 posts, read 219,169 times
Reputation: 136
This month 2 sightings in north Mississippi. One in Tunica County. The other, an eight footer, in Marshall County (20 miles south of Memphis, TN), was captured and relocated by state game and fish.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top