Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 09:38 AM

62 posts, read 151,980 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm looking for info on where to dispose of old furniture in the Mountain Home area. I'm visiting elderly parents who live here, and while we have strong, able bodies on hand, I'd love to help them clear out some heavy furniture they don't need anymore. It's not in good enough shape to donate to a thrift store; it really is garbage. They live outside the city limits, and their garbage pickup is limited to a couple bags a week, as far as I understand. We can haul it away, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where to take it. (Most google searches turn into articles about recycling, and then tell you to google for what's available in your area.) If I can find where the landfill is, can I just take it there? If not, is there some other option available? Any reasonably-priced service that could do pickups if we can't find a place to take it ourselves before we leave? Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 01:31 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Have you called the city and county governments to inquire about this? Some communities offer special pick-ups of unwieldy items once or twice a year, or by special arrangement.

There are also people who specialize in removing unwanted junk and other items in some cities - you may need to find someone in one of the larger towns in AR to help you. Check Fort Smith and/or Fayetteville.

Also, if that heavy furniture is old, make sure it's not antique - if you are not sure, see if a local antique dealer can take a look and advise you. If so, it may or may not have some value.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2016, 01:45 PM

340 posts, read 515,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcg37 View Post
Hi all, I'm looking for info on where to dispose of old furniture in the Mountain Home area. I'm visiting elderly parents who live here, and while we have strong, able bodies on hand, I'd love to help them clear out some heavy furniture they don't need anymore. It's not in good enough shape to donate to a thrift store; it really is garbage. They live outside the city limits, and their garbage pickup is limited to a couple bags a week, as far as I understand. We can haul it away, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where to take it. (Most google searches turn into articles about recycling, and then tell you to google for what's available in your area.) If I can find where the landfill is, can I just take it there? If not, is there some other option available? Any reasonably-priced service that could do pickups if we can't find a place to take it ourselves before we leave? Thanks for any suggestions!
Why not donate it to Goodwill? Around here they will come and pick it up.

We also have a Hanitat for Humanity Restore and a Teen Challenge store that will also come out and collect unused furniture and other household items.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:36 AM

62 posts, read 151,980 times
It's a nasty old couch and chair set that was torn apart somewhat by animals--not usable in the slightest. I WISH it had value! I'm sure my parents would like getting something back for it. I called the city services this morning, and they don't take furniture. Hopefully a garbage company has some ideas. This is a retirement area for people without a lot of money. Makes me wonder what happens when other people come in to clear out houses after people pass away? There will be some usable stuff, sure--but also a lot of completely used-up, worn-out stuff that just needs to be dumped. We can't be the only ones who have had to deal with this! Fayetteville is pretty far away, but I dunno, maybe someone from there drives all the way out to MH to look for junk??

Anyway, thanks for the ideas. If we end up with more furniture that is still usable, I'll try Habitat for Humanity or Goodwill.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:18 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Did you call Nabors Sanitation? I believe they operate the PUBLIC landfill in that county.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:54 PM

130 posts, read 148,228 times
If you live in a single family home within the city limits, you are eligible for curbside recycling collection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas