Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:53 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,070,664 times

Advertisements

First, I want to thank the people who live in Arkansas who are kind enough to share information with people like me who are looking to relocate and want to get information about various areas. I've been reading several of the threads and whenever the question of race relations or racism comes up, people get offended and say that those things only exist in certain areas but for the most part it's under control.

That said, I've noticed a trend: whenever a person asks about an area that has a large or majority Black population, people try to steer the poster to the predominately White area and say how much better the White area is and have all kinds of negative to say about the Black area.

Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,427,463 times
Look up the crime statistics. Posters have no control of where people live and #s dont lie

Old 02-15-2008, 10:36 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
First, I want to thank the people who live in Arkansas who are kind enough to share information with people like me who are looking to relocate and want to get information about various areas. I've been reading several of the threads and whenever the question of race relations or racism comes up, people get offended and say that those things only exist in certain areas but for the most part it's under control.

That said, I've noticed a trend: whenever a person asks about an area that has a large or majority Black population, people try to steer the poster to the predominately White area and say how much better the White area is and have all kinds of negative to say about the Black area.

Why is this?
let's face it, there are a couple or reasons, 1st no matter what we all like to think, racism does still exist. WE have come a long way baby, but there is still a ways to come and 2-whether we want to admit it or not, areas with a heavy black population usually have higher crime rates.

Nita

Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,483,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
let's face it, there are a couple or reasons, 1st no matter what we all like to think, racism does still exist. WE have come a long way baby, but there is still a ways to come and 2-whether we want to admit it or not, areas with a heavy black population usually have higher crime rates.

Nita
That is just a fact that people wont admit to or will not admit to. Where ever you may be if a town or area has a high black population crime will be much higher. And their is nothing racist about the facts.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:41 PM

395 posts, read 1,360,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
That is just a fact that people wont admit to or will not admit to. Where ever you may be if a town or area has a high black population crime will be much higher. And their is nothing racist about the facts.
It really is true! I agree with this post completely. Look at the stat's all over the U.S.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:03 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,982,010 times
This very topic is the reason I found this website and this forum. There was an article in the local paper about racism and crime that caught my attention. The writer of the article said it did not matter who lived where- crime is everywhere...which is true...but I don't think they really did any research. It was too much of a "I'm going to write alot while not hurting anyone's feelings" piece. I guess she got paid by the word.

So I was trying to do some light research comparing two similar sized towns and their crime rates in Arkansas. I had a harder time finding two similar sized towns than I thought I would.

Here is my first pair I found:

Hope, Arkansas (AR) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Arkadelphia, Arkansas (AR) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

The only part I don't like about comparing those two towns is the fact that Hope's only college has a very small enrollment compared to Arkadelphia's two colleges. I don't know about you guys, but I haven't seen -too- many educators go around generating crime, and Arkadelphia has plenty of post-grads.

Maybe a comparision of Jonesboro and Pine Bluff would be more on par?

Jonesboro, Arkansas (AR) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Pine Bluff, Arkansas (AR) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

ASU in Jonesboro has higher enrollment than UAPB and SAU combined, but in my opinion it seems more reasonable to compare Jonesboro and Pine Bluff's major campus enrollments than Hope and Arkadelphia's:

ASU(8,696) vs. UAPB(2,801) + SAU(1,260)

HSU(3,109) + OBU(1,681) vs. University of Arkansas Community College at Hope(853)

I guess I put alot of emphasis on educated persons living in an area and the impact on crime level. I don't think that is an unreasonable thought, though. For the villages of Hope and Arkadelphia I think it makes a bigger difference than Jonesboro vs. Pine Bluff or any other comparison of larger towns or cities, however.
I'm also not saying college kids are all innocent youths getting drunk on academia life instead of booze either.

I think nmnita and Lt. Dan already said it in a lot less space than me anyways.

For some reason I can't get the links to work..sorry...

Last edited by J Arp; 02-15-2008 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Fixing damaged links.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:47 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,734,163 times
It is high time it was said that most crime is a poverty driven phenomenon and it is no secret that the vast majority of the parts of Arkansas that are predominately black are also poverty stricken. The correlation between being black and being in poverty is a vestige of the racist social climate that existed in the south in decades past. It will take many more decades and great amounts of effort to undo that damage. I cannot say with certainty there is no racial bias when a company decides to forego placing a facility in many of these areas but the fact remains that predominately black areas of Arkansas have significantly fewer opportunities at high wage jobs and education.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:11 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,070,664 times
I'm glad someone can make a coorelation that doesn't say Black people are criminals. It does make sense that a poorer area will have more crime (it does here) and I have to remember where I'm moving to. From what I've researched, there aren't alot of races besides Black or White, so I'm starting to see where the thought process is. When I was young, my grandmother always talked to me about "bring a credit to my race" and I've learned what she means. I think it's sad that Black people in that area have made people associate Black with crime. I guess when I come, I'm going to have to really be on my toes.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:32 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,483,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I'm glad someone can make a coorelation that doesn't say Black people are criminals. It does make sense that a poorer area will have more crime (it does here) and I have to remember where I'm moving to. From what I've researched, there aren't alot of races besides Black or White, so I'm starting to see where the thought process is. When I was young, my grandmother always talked to me about "bring a credit to my race" and I've learned what she means. I think it's sad that Black people in that area have made people associate Black with crime. I guess when I come, I'm going to have to really be on my toes.
NO ONE SAID ALL Black people are criminals. but the facts and statistics speak for themselves. so only the people that make the statistics can change them.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:45 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,328,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
Look up the crime statistics. Posters have no control of where people live and #s dont lie
Actually, numbers CAN lie. It's all how you package them. Reminds me of the old saying "There are LIES, there are DAMN LIES, and then there are STATISTICS."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas