U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 10:13 AM

813 posts, read 261,477 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting question because it seems to involve many individual perspectives. To compound the minor disagreements of everyone's perspective, folks have regionalized their part of their state with other states, separate from the whole of their state.
To answer this question though, one must identify it as a geographic question first and foremost. And to get to the correct answer on all things geographic, I turn to the Nat. Geographic Society. The NGS has broken our 48 mainland states into 5 main regions.
WEST: WA, OR, CA, ID, MT, WY, NV, UT, and CO.
SOUTHWEST: AZ, NM, TX, OK
MIDWEST: ND, SD, NE, KS, MN, IA, MO, WI, IL, MI, IN, OH.
NORTHEAST: ME, NH, VT, MA, NY, RI, CT, NJ, PA.
SOUTHEAST: WV, MD, DE, VA, KY, TN, NC, SC, MS, AL, GA, FL, LA, and ARKANSAS included also (Wash DC)
I, being from Illinois always thought of our state as being truly Midwest, but Illinois is a long state and folks in southern Illinois connect more with folks in the upper South. Nothing is definitive here, nothing is etched in stone, but it adds to good conversation. In the end, "Your home is where your heart lies!"
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 10:59 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,495,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
This is an interesting question because it seems to involve many individual perspectives. To compound the minor disagreements of everyone's perspective, folks have regionalized their part of their state with other states, separate from the whole of their state.
To answer this question though, one must identify it as a geographic question first and foremost. And to get to the correct answer on all things geographic, I turn to the Nat. Geographic Society. The NGS has broken our 48 mainland states into 5 main regions.
SOUTHEAST: WV, MD, DE, VA, KY, TN, NC, SC, MS, AL, GA, FL, LA, and ARKANSAS included also (Wash DC)
I, being from Illinois always thought of our state as being truly Midwest, but Illinois is a long state and folks in southern Illinois connect more with folks in the upper South. Nothing is definitive here, nothing is etched in stone, but it adds to good conversation. In the end, "Your home is where your heart lies!"
I think based on what I have mentioned before geographically and culturally are 2 different things. There is no denying AR is Southern, but the culture is more lower mid west as I see it. Of course this depends on where in AR you live. NWA is very different than say, the Delta region or Texarkansas. As you get south of 40 you do get into the true south, on the border it is a mixture and not a lot of people living here are even native Arkansans.

BTW, I so agree with you as to where home is and I too, like you, always think of Ill as being the heart of the mid west regardless of what part of the state one is referring to. That would be like saying Iowa or Mo were in the south, upper or lower south makes no difference. At least this is my opinion.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:45 AM

22,374 posts, read 6,088,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Me and my cousin (who lives in Colorado) were discussing this and are both confused. In the ozark region of Arkansas, I consider to be a midwestern area, the southern part of the state is the south. Looking on google, Arkansas is considered a southern state. Being from Louisiana, I just don't feel I am in the south up here. What do YOU consider northern/northwest Arkansas?

The maps in general can give you several different answers. My cousin lives in Guffey CO. She said most of the locals consider it the midwest / west/ high prairieland. Maps should it as "mountain".
South

Old 05-07-2019, 07:11 AM
sub

2,746 posts, read 1,187,651 times
Missouri is midwestern, but it is more southern than Arkansas is midwestern.
The Ozarks are very southern, just a different type than Louisiana.
I would never confuse the Arkansas Ozarks with Ohio (maybe slightly the Appalachian part, but it's more southern-ish), and certainly not Minnesota.
NWA is just a bunch of transplants that are trying to recreate elements of wherever they came from. Looks and feels different than the rest of the south, and certainly does not represent the Ozarks as a whole. One can find similar developments in Mississippi and Alabama, but their southern-ness somehow never comes into question.
Arkansas. Is. Southern.
I'll have to throw in the disclaimer that none of this is meant to be insulting, just an observation.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I would never confuse the Arkansas Ozarks with Ohio (maybe slightly the Appalachian part, but it's more southern-ish), and certainly not Minnesota.
NWA is just a bunch of transplants that are trying to recreate elements of wherever they came from. Looks and feels different than the rest of the south, and certainly does not represent the Ozarks as a whole. One can find similar developments in Mississippi and Alabama, but their southern-ness somehow never comes into question.
Arkansas. Is. Southern.
I'll have to throw in the disclaimer that none of this is meant to be insulting, just an observation.
Well it is insulting and you don't seem to understand about those who have come from other parts of the country: I don't know of one person that is trying to re-create where they ave moved from Most of us love AR the way it is. The only thing you do have right is: culturally Southern MO probably is as south as some parts of AR. the northern part particularly. We all know AR is considered geographically a so state, so what is your point? Most of relocated here because we love the people, the scenery, the life style, etc and have no desire to make Ar anything it is not. We are not trying to put AR down in any way either. I am not quite sure what the heck you are talking abut when you say you can find similar developments in other states, what developments are you talking about?
BTW care to share with us what part of AR do you or have you lived in and are you still living here?

Old 05-07-2019, 01:24 PM
sub

2,746 posts, read 1,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well it is insulting and you don't seem to understand about those who have come from other parts of the country: I don't know of one person that is trying to re-create where they ave moved from Most of us love AR the way it is. The only thing you do have right is: culturally Southern MO probably is as south as some parts of AR. the northern part particularly. We all know AR is considered geographically a so state, so what is your point? Most of relocated here because we love the people, the scenery, the life style, etc and have no desire to make Ar anything it is not. We are not trying to put AR down in any way either. I am not quite sure what the heck you are talking abut when you say you can find similar developments in other states, what developments are you talking about?
BTW care to share with us what part of AR do you or have you lived in and are you still living here?
Sorry if I came across as insulting.
Being in the south, being southern, is NOT insulting.
I have no idea where there would be a disconnect or misunderstanding in my post, to the point of sounding insulting, unless being called southern alongside other southern states is taken as an insult.
If you moved there from somewhere else and like it, great! I couldn't care less.
I have lived in the Delta, the Ozarks, and Little Rock. I have traveled every nook and cranny throughout the state more times than I can count. I'm sure there are people more familiar with it than I, but I am certainly no stranger to the state.

Last edited by sub; 05-07-2019 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 06:14 PM

22,231 posts, read 38,797,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Arkansas. Is. Southern.
If you want to visit an area where residents often try and pretend to live in another region of the US- go to southern Johnson County, KS. They really go all out with the Sunbelt vibe there right down to the red tile roofed houses, stuccoed exteriors, Italian fountains, completely out of place architecture, absurdly wide roads, out of place landscaping, California like accents, and other factors.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:29 PM

585 posts, read 158,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Me and my cousin (who lives in Colorado) were discussing this and are both confused. In the ozark region of Arkansas, I consider to be a midwestern area, the southern part of the state is the south. Looking on google, Arkansas is considered a southern state. Being from Louisiana, I just don't feel I am in the south up here. What do YOU consider northern/northwest Arkansas?

The maps in general can give you several different answers. My cousin lives in Guffey CO. She said most of the locals consider it the midwest / west/ high prairieland. Maps should it as "mountain".
The area will be considered Midwest by locals, and a Southern State by almost anyone except those from the deep south. Arkansas is a rich area of diversity and a great place to visit. They have folks with roots tracing to the old south, combined with many who have moved to the state from the north to enjoy a milder climate. Arkansas has a southern laid back attitude about everywhere except Little Rock, which shows the more modern pace of a larger city.

I think one reason it is hard to get a consensus on, is that the state has a bit of the flavor the old south, a bit of the city and college town attitude and the charm of an area full of country folks who are old fashioned and remind us of the days gone by.

Bottom line, it is a great state and should really be an area folks at least visit once. I live just north of Arkansas in the Missouri Ozarks, and visit Arkansas regularly.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
The area will be considered Midwest by locals, and a Southern State by almost anyone except those from the deep south. Arkansas is a rich area of diversity and a great place to visit. They have folks with roots tracing to the old south, combined with many who have moved to the state from the north to enjoy a milder climate. Arkansas has a southern laid back attitude about everywhere except Little Rock, which shows the more modern pace of a larger city.

I think one reason it is hard to get a consensus on, is that the state has a bit of the flavor the old south, a bit of the city and college town attitude and the charm of an area full of country folks who are old fashioned and remind us of the days gone by.

Bottom line, it is a great state and should really be an area folks at least visit once. I live just north of Arkansas in the Missouri Ozarks, and visit Arkansas regularly.
Very good points. It is a great mixture of everything, from NWA being diverse,ethnically as well as rural mixed with urban. Then you consider Little Rock, which is pretty much like any major urban city in the country, down to the Delta and all the rural areas inbetween. All states have some of this, but we have lived in 7 different ones and I think Ar has more than any of the other states we have called home for a long or short time. I know we love to have a really top meal at many of the quality earting places on Bentonville, Rodges, etc but the next time we may want to take a drive to the country where people are friendly and wonderful and we can get a really good "home cooked" meal at a family eatery that might have been in teh family for 50 years or more. We can visit lakes, rivers, drive the hills or settle for a wonderful walk around Crystal Bridges. We have it all and within a few hours at the most. If you want true feeling of the south, you go to the rural parts of the state, if you want a different experience, you enjoy spending time in one of the more developed areas of the state.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:37 AM

16,276 posts, read 28,779,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
National Geographics has changed the boundaries of the South West over the years. For example:

"By 1982 the portion of the Southwest in the United States, as defined by the Society, had shrunk to Arizona and New Mexico, with the southernmost strip of Utah and Colorado, as well as the Mojave and Colorado deserts in California.[2] Other individuals who focus on Southwest studies who favored a more limited extent of the area to center on Arizona and New Mexico, with small parts of surrounding areas, include Erna Fergusson, Charles Lummis (who claimed to have coined the term, the Southwest), and cultural geographer Raymond Gastil, and ethnologist Miguel León-Portilla"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas