U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-19-2016, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains Arkansas
2,500 posts, read 1,747,976 times
Reputation: 4398

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Absolutely no one in the Midwest thinks of Arkansas as a Midwestern state. And when I lived in Arkansas, I never met a local who identified as Midwestern. They thought of me and my family as yankees.

What part of Arkansas did you live in?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2016, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 11,349,289 times
Reputation: 4080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
What part of Arkansas did you live in?
Jonesboro.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2016, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Isanti County, Minnesota
3,662 posts, read 5,232,801 times
Reputation: 5639
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Absolutely no one in the Midwest thinks of Arkansas as a Midwestern state. And when I lived in Arkansas, I never met a local who identified as Midwestern. They thought of me and my family as yankees.
I don't think anyone is trying to paint Arkansas as a Midwestern state per se. What some of us are attempting to convey is that the northern and northwestern sections of the state have more of a Midwestern feel than down towards Little Rock and further south.

Of course, I still see a whole lotta Confederate flags flyin' in northwest Arkansas. You wouldn't catch me goin' up to any of those folks and asking them if they identified as Midwesterners.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2016, 04:58 PM
 
9,620 posts, read 5,973,132 times
Reputation: 9769
southwest is new mexico,arizona, . arkansas is no where near that by 1000 of miles
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2016, 05:34 PM
 
4,871 posts, read 7,426,488 times
Reputation: 7009
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
southwest is new mexico,arizona, . arkansas is no where near that by 1000 of miles
I think those who said that meant "the western part of the South".
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2016, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 11,349,289 times
Reputation: 4080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I don't think anyone is trying to paint Arkansas as a Midwestern state per se. What some of us are attempting to convey is that the northern and northwestern sections of the state have more of a Midwestern feel than down towards Little Rock and further south.

Of course, I still see a whole lotta Confederate flags flyin' in northwest Arkansas. You wouldn't catch me goin' up to any of those folks and asking them if they identified as Midwesterners.
Those areas have almost no Midwestern feel. In fact, I struggle to think of any Midwestern characteristics of the Ozarks or NE Arkansas delta region.

Last edited by grmasterb; 06-19-2016 at 05:49 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2016, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains Arkansas
2,500 posts, read 1,747,976 times
Reputation: 4398
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Absolutely no one in the Midwest thinks of Arkansas as a Midwestern state. And when I lived in Arkansas, I never met a local who identified as Midwestern. They thought of me and my family as yankees.
While many do consider it a southern state, it's not so crazy to consider it midwest (or atleast part of the state). See below, apparently even our National parks service considers AR midwest. As for yankees, the area that I live in is full of transplants from northern states so I rarely ever hear anything about that.



Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2016, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains Arkansas
2,500 posts, read 1,747,976 times
Reputation: 4398
However, we can end the discussion with this one single map

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2016, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 11,349,289 times
Reputation: 4080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
While many do consider it a southern state, it's not so crazy to consider it midwest (or atleast part of the state). See below, apparently even our National parks service considers AR midwest. As for yankees, the area that I live in is full of transplants from northern states so I rarely ever hear anything about that.


For the park service, that would be strictly an administrative designation, not a cultural designation. You may not hear as much derision toward "yankees" due to the influx of transplants into NWA, but northern Arkansas is as Midwestern as Tennessee. In other words, not at all. There is no one north of the Ohio River that sees Arkansas as a Midwest state. You would be laughed out of here for saying that.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2016, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Isanti County, Minnesota
3,662 posts, read 5,232,801 times
Reputation: 5639
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
For the park service, that would be strictly an administrative designation, not a cultural designation. You may not hear as much derision toward "yankees" due to the influx of transplants into NWA, but northern Arkansas is as Midwestern as Tennessee. In other words, not at all. There is no one north of the Ohio River that sees Arkansas as a Midwest state. You would be laughed out of here for saying that.
Ok, buddy. We got it. Thanks for your expertise.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top