U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 05:42 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,688,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Upper South. NE part of the Southwest.
Sounds about right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 11:14 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,926,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is a good point, but what would you say about Mo? And now let's look at Colorado; the PAC 12? I don't remember the state picking up and moving west but they still in the PAC. There are so many college football conferences that make no sense.

Now the other side of the coin: I asked a friend this morning when we were in the hot tub how she felt about the state and WV for that matter. She was born in WV, grew up in So California and moved here about 8 years ago. She considered both, WV and AR southern, but did say WV is north of the Mason Dickson line, thus is not a true southern state and AR which fought for the south, is more Midwestern in attitudes though it is southern.
WV is almost all south of the Mason-Dixon line. The only part above the line is the northern panhandle, which is less than 3% of the state. Arkansas, for all intents and purposes, is southern.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:27 AM

4,687 posts, read 2,601,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
IMO, it all amounts to perspective. IMO, Arkansas is part of the South due to it's stance during the Civil War.
So was Florida, even Central FL (S. FL was largely unsettled by whites at the time). So was N. Virginia. Yet neither area has a "Southern" culture today. Ditto for San Antonio and Austin. By contrast, Kentucky and Missouri stayed with the Union, and West Virginia remained as well. So you can't completely go by history. Truth is, state lines don't tell the whole story. Even Pennsylvania is said to be Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and "northern Alabama".

As for other things, the Mason-Dixon line thing, if it did have any truth to it, it's long obsolete. Maryland and Delaware these days are not considered "Southern" any more (maybe a few isolated areas remote from I-95 are, but if we're talking about whole states, you gotta go with where the bulk of the population lives. In MD's case, it's the I-95 corridor, which is anything but 'Southern').

Old 06-21-2016, 04:15 AM

2,002 posts, read 2,976,950 times
Is South Dakota southern?

Old 06-22-2016, 12:35 PM

2,105 posts, read 3,172,836 times
First of all to the OP - Louisiana may be a southern state, but it is much more of a cultural outlier in the south than Arkansas is due to the French & Catholic influence. It is no surprise that it isn't like where you grew up because Louisiana is pretty unique. What you are seeing is the upland south as opposed to the deep south. You are seeing a culture that descended from the Appalachians as opposed to the Low Country of the Carolinas. That doesn't mean it isn't southern. Pinto Beans for example were staple foods for people from the mountains.

And North Arkansas isn't the same from east to west. Northeast Arkansas in the delta is the deep south. The rest of it not so much. Southern Missouri is the same way from east to west.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:06 PM

3,672 posts, read 5,260,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
WV is almost all south of the Mason-Dixon line. The only part above the line is the northern panhandle, which is less than 3% of the state. Arkansas, for all intents and purposes, is southern.
West Virginia is NOT southern. It's northern Appalachian, same as where my Dad's family is from in western Pennsylvania. Hillbilly country. There may be parts of WV that have southern tendencies, same as the Midwestern tendencies with NW Arkansas.......but as I've conceded Arkansas is still a southern state, I would also contend that WV is anything but.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
West Virginia is NOT southern. It's northern Appalachian, same as where my Dad's family is from in western Pennsylvania. Hillbilly country. There may be parts of WV that have southern tendencies, same as the Midwestern tendencies with NW Arkansas.......but as I've conceded Arkansas is still a southern state, I would also contend that WV is anything but.
No, sorry, but you are wrong. WV has a governor named "Earl Ray", a statue of Stonewall Jackson on the state capitol grounds, and the largest state restaurant chain is biscuits and gravy, Tudor's Biscuit World.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:01 AM

8,143 posts, read 8,655,389 times
I cannot believe there is debate here. Southern......Period. Missouri may be debatable, Arkansas NO.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:07 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,816,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
No, sorry, but you are wrong. WV has a governor named "Earl Ray", a statue of Stonewall Jackson on the state capitol grounds, and the largest state restaurant chain is biscuits and gravy, Tudor's Biscuit World.
This is still a matter of debate; tell most people in WV they are living in a southern state: they would disagree with you. My husbands family were all born and raised there: rural yes, maybe southern traditions even, but they do not considered themselves southern. Most don't even have southern accents. What does a name have to do with anything? I had an uncle named "Billy Bob" he and my moms whole family are from Kansas and raised pretty much in Colorado Springs.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is still a matter of debate; tell most people in WV they are living in a southern state: they would disagree with you. My husbands family were all born and raised there: rural yes, maybe southern traditions even, but they do not considered themselves southern. Most don't even have southern accents. What does a name have to do with anything? I had an uncle named "Billy Bob" he and my moms whole family are from Kansas and raised pretty much in Colorado Springs.
This is the problem with anecdote. Where do you get your information? "Tell most people... they would disagree with you." The name of this website is City DATA, not City Innuendo and Rumor. I was born and raised WV and there are a ton of people there who believe it is southern. "Most don't have southern accents". Pray tell me where you found the source of this information? The Univ. of Pennsylvania linguists, who actually measure sound in speech, place most of WV in the southern dialect region. I don't want to derail the thread which is about Arkansas after all, so I will shut up after this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas