Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 05:38 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,647,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
This is the problem with anecdote. Where do you get your information? "Tell most people... they would disagree with you." The name of this website is City DATA, not City Innuendo and Rumor. I was born and raised WV and there are a ton of people there who believe it is southern. "Most don't have southern accents". Pray tell me where you found the source of this information? The Univ. of Pennsylvania linguists, who actually measure sound in speech, place most of WV in the southern dialect region. I don't want to derail the thread which is about Arkansas after all, so I will shut up after this.
WV must be considered southern by those in WV who think it's southern and those in the north, where WV is to their south, therefore southern, LOL. This is the absolute first time I've ever heard WV considered south. Most southerners do not consider it southern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 05:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
WV must be considered southern by those in WV who think it's southern and those in the north, where WV is to their south, therefore southern, LOL. This is the absolute first time I've ever heard WV considered south. Most southerners do not consider it southern state.
Of course in isn't even considered a southern state, plus, it seems people can't distinguish between cultural and technical. When you started the thread, I knew what you were asking, not so much as what the map shows but how many feel and many people, particularly those of us living in the Northwest part of our state do not really think southern. At least I understand what you are saying and you understand my point.

BTW: to those who want to continue this debate, I am not putting the south down; I love the south and I am proud to live in a state that is geographically southern. It is just for many of living here it feels more like the Midwest than the true south. Of course the southern and eastern parts of the state are different.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:46 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course in isn't even considered a southern state, plus, it seems people can't distinguish between cultural and technical. When you started the thread, I knew what you were asking, not so much as what the map shows but how many feel and many people, particularly those of us living in the Northwest part of our state do not really think southern. At least I understand what you are saying and you understand my point.

BTW: to those who want to continue this debate, I am not putting the south down; I love the south and I am proud to live in a state that is geographically southern. It is just for many of living here it feels more like the Midwest than the true south. Of course the southern and eastern parts of the state are different.
But how does it feel like the Midwest?? And what is the "true south"?? Are regions monolithic?

Last edited by grmasterb; 06-24-2016 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
But how does it feel like the Midwest?? And what is the "true south"?? Are regions monolithic?
I stated earlier why I think this part of Arkansas seems like the midwest as opposed to the south. To me, the "true south" would be Louisiana, Miss, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, and Tennessee. Parts of Texas do fit in as south also. Notice I didnt' include Florida. It's technically in the south, but it's not southern.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:14 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
I stated earlier why I think this part of Arkansas seems like the midwest as opposed to the south. To me, the "true south" would be Louisiana, Miss, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, and Tennessee. Parts of Texas do fit in as south also. Notice I didnt' include Florida. It's technically in the south, but it's not southern.
What I've seen you offer is an administrative designation by the National Park Service. How does that "feel" Midwestern??

Old 06-24-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
What I've seen you offer is an administrative designation by the National Park Service. How does that "feel" Midwestern??
I'm referring to post #34.

And I'm not saying I'm right, but I'm saying that it's what I've picked up on now that I live here.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
The food is more mid west, which I have said before, most of the people or certainly a high % are from the Midwest: remember I am talking NWA, not the entire state. The exception to being from the Midwest might be the employees of the 3 largest major companies. They are from all over the world. Ask someone retired here from maybe Texas and then ask someone the upstate Ill about living here. I can guarantee you the person from Il ill say NWA is more like the small towns in Il than the person from Texas will say AR reminds them of home. Even the weather here is closer to parts of the midwest: less snow, than most of the south and lower humidity. Maybe true south wasn't isn't the perfect phrase, deep south would be better.

Now, as I have said over and over, there really is no totally correct answer; for those who want to say we are more southern than mid west, that is fine and geographically it is the south, but culturally many of us feel more like it is midwest. I see a different attitude about life in general when we visit Mississippi or Tenn. than here, but when I visit Iowa or family in Kansas, except the beauty of the state I feel like I am home. I can't expect some to understand, that is just the way it is. I think you would have to live in the NW part of the state. Certainly where you lived is very different from BV, the Ozarks, Fayetteville, even Ft Smith and Mountain Home.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:04 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
I know this is the Arkansas forum, but this thread from the WV forum might help shed some light on the associated debate:
//www.city-data.com/forum/west-...-virginia.html

Old 06-25-2016, 08:27 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,389,725 times
Quote:
Southern culture is alive in well in north Florida. Though south Florida may not be southern anymore, that is due to the arrival of millions of transplants and immigrants. The only part of Florida that was arguably never southern by culture is Key West.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Southern culture is alive in well in north Florida. Though south Florida may not be southern anymore, that is due to the arrival of millions of transplants and immigrants. The only part of Florida that was arguably never southern by culture is Key West.
I think how you are describing Florida is what some of us are saying about AR. the region can be very different depending on where in the state you live and how many transplants live in the region. thanks for using the comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas