Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:59 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,573 times

Advertisements

I seriously cant believe this is even a debate....of course Arkansas is part of the South! Any of the 13 states that are represented on the CSA Battle and National Flags get that distinction for life, regardless of cultural changes over the years...

TX,LA,AR,MS,AL,GA,FL,SC,NC,TN,VA,MO,KY.......Thats it! Parts of MD,WV and DE were and still are Southern, but as a whole they are NOT..... as for OK, someone like on the first page said "OK is Geographically Southern and fought for the South" or somethin along those lines, OK did not fight for the South, it wasnt a state yet and was actually Indian territory, DUH!..but nowadays it is indeed culturally Southern, mostly because theyre like my Texas' lil brother, claim they hate us, but try and do everything like us, lol....

Anyway, certain Areas of of those 13 original Confederate states may not be considered Southern anymore (Im aware, for instance, that West TX is not very Southern at all, but the rest of TX is very much so) but as a whole, they will always be "Dixie"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 10:23 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
I seriously cant believe this is even a debate....of course Arkansas is part of the South! Any of the 13 states that are represented on the CSA Battle and National Flags get that distinction for life, regardless of cultural changes over the years...

TX,LA,AR,MS,AL,GA,FL,SC,NC,TN,VA,MO,KY.......Thats it! Parts of MD,WV and DE were and still are Southern, but as a whole they are NOT..... as for OK, someone like on the first page said "OK is Geographically Southern and fought for the South" or somethin along those lines, OK did not fight for the South, it wasnt a state yet and was actually Indian territory, DUH!..but nowadays it is indeed culturally Southern, mostly because theyre like my Texas' lil brother, claim they hate us, but try and do everything like us, lol....

Anyway, certain Areas of of those 13 original Confederate states may not be considered Southern anymore (Im aware, for instance, that West TX is not very Southern at all, but the rest of TX is very much so) but as a whole, they will always be "Dixie"....
Well, no, Colt, in the recent study of where the south is by Cooper & Knotts, TX didn't even register on their studies, they only listed Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Florida, Oklahoma, Virginia and West Virginia.

Project MUSE - Rethinking the Boundaries of the South

Old 07-14-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Well, no, Colt, in the recent study of where the south is by Cooper & Knotts, TX didn't even register on their studies, they only listed Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Florida, Oklahoma, Virginia and West Virginia.

Project MUSE - Rethinking the Boundaries of the South

well, no bobi, the recent study of Cooper & Knotts (whoever the hell they even are) is just flat out wrong and asinine.......anybody that replaces TX with WV as Southern is a moron.....bottom line.....

you can go on and on with your silly defense of WV all you want, from Philthadelphia, but youre just simply wrong, and in the minority......Most people know that WV as a whole is not Southern, and TX is......its really not even up for debate....but you go on pretendin cause youre insecure about WV's history as a traitor to the South, if it makes you feel better.....

BTW, I just clicked your link...I dont see anything about TX not being Southern and WV being Southern.....says some silly bs about virginia not bein Southern anymore though, which with statements like that just loses all cred, if they had any at all in the first place, and ensuingly, yours as well.....

Last edited by Colt .45; 07-14-2016 at 11:35 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 12:04 AM

oh and.......Which States Are in the South? | FiveThirtyEight

Old 07-15-2016, 04:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
you know you can really drop this entire thing; you are beating a dead horse. No one is questioning, geographically whether we are south of midwest. Everyone agrees AR is a southern state. The OP was questioning the attitude and culture of the state, especially the Northern part. There is a huge difference between attitude and location.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you know you can really drop this entire thing; you are beating a dead horse. No one is questioning, geographically whether we are south of midwest. Everyone agrees AR is a southern state. The OP was questioning the attitude and culture of the state, especially the Northern part. There is a huge difference between attitude and location.
take a chill pill, I know its a thread about AR...but my reply was for another poster here who likes to pretend that WV is not only a Southern state, but the most Southern of them all......

Old 07-15-2016, 10:13 AM

139 posts, read 137,039 times
Its southern with a little midwestern spice, a rich creamy delta region, and just a hint of oregeno.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
take a chill pill, I know its a thread about AR...but my reply was for another poster here who likes to pretend that WV is not only a Southern state, but the most Southern of them all......
I know who you were responding to, but this subject has come up 3 or 4 times in the past 5 years: it is being overdone and needs to simply be put to sleep: Does it really make a difference anyway whether you are right or someone else is: all this is so subjective.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:56 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
I know who you were responding to, but this subject has come up 3 or 4 times in the past 5 years: it is being overdone and needs to simply be put to sleep: Does it really make a difference anyway whether you are right or someone else is: all this is so subjective.

What's weird is some of this stuff is really important to some people - to the point of raising their voice in front of others or raising their blood pressure, eh? In the grand scheme of things this guy (me) living over in Kansas who's not from Kansas could really care less what area of the country Arkansas is considered being a part of.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:12 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
My brother married his wife, and Arkansan, ten years ago. Through trips to visit and other family functions, I can say with great certainty, that every Arkansan I have encountered thinks of themselves, their culture, and their state as Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas