Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:24 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
I saw no such symbols on our one week tour of AR. We hit:

Mountain Home
Bull Shoals
Eureka Springs
Flippin
Yellville
Mountain View
Morrilton
Toad Suck

and many more towns I can't remember.
Toad Suck

Sorry, it just needed repeating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 08:11 AM

215 posts, read 283,306 times
Here's the location of the sign outside Harrison:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1930...7i13312!8i6656

And here's the location of the Nazi flag house.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2469...8i6656!6m1!1e1

It now has about four Nazi flags across the front of the house.

Yes, AR folks are nice and friendly, but if we weren't older white folks we would have been really uncomfortable.

So, given we have a choice of where to move, this isn't it. While it is true, as some have stated, that it's good to have these attitudes 'out of the closet' it also gives the area a tinge. It's one thing to see the hog farm, another to move downwind of it.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:32 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ION1010 View Post
Here's the location of the sign outside Harrison:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1930...7i13312!8i6656

And here's the location of the Nazi flag house.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2469...8i6656!6m1!1e1

It now has about four Nazi flags across the front of the house.

Yes, AR folks are nice and friendly, but if we weren't older white folks we would have been really uncomfortable.

So, given we have a choice of where to move, this isn't it. While it is true, as some have stated, that it's good to have these attitudes 'out of the closet' it also gives the area a tinge. It's one thing to see the hog farm, another to move downwind of it.
I see a Confederate flag in that house picture.

I never saw a Confederate flag being flown by Germany under Hitler.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:46 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I see a Confederate flag in that house picture.

I never saw a Confederate flag being flown by Germany under Hitler.
That house could be the home of Thom Robb, a famous Ku Klux Klanner. I don't think he's reflective of Arkansas or of Harrison's views on race or anything else, but certainly some people would feel uncomfortable knowing that there was someone like that living nearby, espousing those kinds of views.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:48 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
Are you confusing a confederate flag with a nazi flag?

Old 08-10-2016, 09:11 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That house could be the home of Thom Robb, a famous Ku Klux Klanner. I don't think he's reflective of Arkansas or of Harrison's views on race or anything else, but certainly some people would feel uncomfortable knowing that there was someone like that living nearby, espousing those kinds of views.
It's only a Confederate flag on the garage !
One can see them throughout Arkansas being displayed by individuals.

Plus, it is on PRIVATE PROPERTY and a ways back from signs stating it is on PRIVATE PROPERTY.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:

Plus, it is on PRIVATE PROPERTY and a ways back from signs stating it is on PRIVATE PROPERTY.
It is on private property. And whoever the owner is, he's entitled to his opinions and to express his opinions. But that doesn't mean that some people wouldn't be comfortable living nearby.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:05 AM

215 posts, read 283,306 times
Quote:

As I said, now it has about four Nazi flags on the house. The Google link is an old picture. And, of course one can display flags, it's freedom of speech, just as burning a flag is.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:21 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
If you zoom in to the carport to the right I think a Nazi flag is visible behind the Confederate one.

Is it legal to post a picture of someone's private property/residence on a public website without permission?

If this poster is ruling out living in Arkansas because of this, they're missing out. I feel confident in saying there are at least a handful of folks subscribing to similar ideology in all 50 states.

Stay away from the bad and and revel in the good has always been my mantra. Arkansas is awesome and I wouldn't for one second let people like that stop me from moving there.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:36 AM

383 posts, read 400,016 times
Town conflicted over flag flown at mayor’s house | WQAD.com

Like I said before, you can find flags in all parts of the country. Iowa is no different than AR in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas