Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 05:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm still debating whether to drive or fly there. Here's the deal...

If I DRIVE, I would leave on Saturday (7/9) and probably spend the first night of travel in Knoxville, TN. Then, the next day, Sunday (7/10), I would continue driving into central Arkansas and probably arrive there sometime around 2:00 or 3:00 pm. Then, I would spend the remainder of Sunday doing things, as well as Mon, Tue, Wed and Thu driving around the state and stopping to do things. I would also like to venture a bit into eastern Oklahoma, if possible. Then, early Friday morning (7/15), I would start driving back toward Connecticut, probably spending the night somewhere in Virginia, then continue on to home the next day and arrive back home sometime in the late afternoon on Saturday 7/16. I want to have that Sunday (7/17) to catch up on things at home before I head back to work on that Monday (7/18). The entire estimated trip cost if driving would be around $1,100.

If I FLY, I would leave on Saturday (7/9) out of Newark, NJ airport after driving 2 hours down to there from my home in CT. Then fly nonstop for 3 hours to Memphis, then rent a car and drive 2 hours to Little Rock. That gives me all day Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed and Thu to do things. Then, on Fri I would drive 2 hours to Memphis and take my 3 hour flight back to Newark, NJ, then drive another 2 hours to home in CT. All of this would cost a total of around $1,500 and provide me with an extra full day to do things in AR. But is it really worth spending an extra $400 just for one extra day? I don't know.

The other option is to fly from Hartford, CT to Little Rock (with layover) and rent a car. I would have 5 full days to do things in AR. But this would cost a grand total of $2,000, which is outrageous.

My cost estimates include airfare, airport parking, car rental, gas, hotels, food, fun, miscellaneous, etc. Everything.

I still don't know what to do.
If your budget can handle it I would opt for flying. It will give you more time to experience the beauty or AR, but either way, have a great adventure and be sure to let us know what you think when you return home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 07:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
I'm still debating whether to drive or fly there. Here's the deal...

If I DRIVE, I would leave on Saturday (7/9) and probably spend the first night of travel in Knoxville, TN. Then, the next day, Sunday (7/10), I would continue driving into central Arkansas and probably arrive there sometime around 2:00 or 3:00 pm. Then, I would spend the remainder of Sunday doing things, as well as Mon, Tue, Wed and Thu driving around the state and stopping to do things. I would also like to venture a bit into eastern Oklahoma, if possible. Then, early Friday morning (7/15), I would start driving back toward Connecticut, probably spending the night somewhere in Virginia, then continue on to home the next day and arrive back home sometime in the late afternoon on Saturday 7/16. I want to have that Sunday (7/17) to catch up on things at home before I head back to work on that Monday (7/18). The entire estimated trip cost if driving would be around $1,100.

If I FLY, I would leave on Saturday (7/9) out of Newark, NJ airport after driving 2 hours down to there from my home in CT. Then fly nonstop for 3 hours to Memphis, then rent a car and drive 2 hours to Little Rock. That gives me all day Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed and Thu to do things. Then, on Fri I would drive 2 hours to Memphis and take my 3 hour flight back to Newark, NJ, then drive another 2 hours to home in CT. All of this would cost a total of around $1,500 and provide me with an extra full day to do things in AR. But is it really worth spending an extra $400 just for one extra day? I don't know.

The other option is to fly from Hartford, CT to Little Rock (with layover) and rent a car. I would have 5 full days to do things in AR. But this would cost a grand total of $2,000, which is outrageous.

My cost estimates include airfare, airport parking, car rental, gas, hotels, food, fun, miscellaneous, etc. Everything.

I still don't know what to do.
Why are you driving through Tennessee and Virginia?

It sounds like you've decided you want Central Arkansas, rather than Northwest Arkansas. I would focus a couple of days on Little Rock, then another day or so on Hot Springs, and then another day exploring the River Valley. Enjoy yourself!

Old 06-27-2016, 08:27 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
Guess what y'all! I decided to fly and will be there from Sat 7/9 through Sat 7/16. Last night I purchased a round trip plane ticket from Hartford to Memphis for $461 (airfare isn't cheap these days). I also reserved a car rental which will be $274 for the 8 days. And my first night at a hotel in Little Rock for $104. The total cost of this trip, I am estimating will be $1,900. All by myself!

That leaves me Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu and Fri to do fun stuff all over Arkansas! I hope that's enough time to do SOMETHING here and there. I also want to see Little Rock Central High School. I'll start off in Little Rock, then probably venture northwest toward Fayetteville, then into eastern OK, then south and around through Ouachita, then Hot Springs, then back to Little Rock. It seems to me that the entire eastern half of AR has nothing to see or do, right? It seems like almost everything is concentrated in the central and northwestern part of the state. But correct me if I'm wrong!

Old 06-27-2016, 10:36 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
I'm sure there are things to do in the eastern half, but for scenery the route you have planned is the best. There are people who enjoy flat farmland, but not for vacations, usually.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I'm sure there are things to do in the eastern half, but for scenery the route you have planned is the best. There are people who enjoy flat farmland, but not for vacations, usually.
Well, one of the reasons I opted to fly into Memphis, is so that I can start driving into AR from the eastern border. It will be more dramatic that way, rather than just landing a plane in the middle of the state (Little Rock). I like to observe a state from border to border, if you know what I mean.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Guess what y'all! I decided to fly and will be there from Sat 7/9 through Sat 7/16. Last night I purchased a round trip plane ticket from Hartford to Memphis for $461 (airfare isn't cheap these days). I also reserved a car rental which will be $274 for the 8 days. And my first night at a hotel in Little Rock for $104. The total cost of this trip, I am estimating will be $1,900. All by myself!

That leaves me Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu and Fri to do fun stuff all over Arkansas! I hope that's enough time to do SOMETHING here and there. I also want to see Little Rock Central High School. I'll start off in Little Rock, then probably venture northwest toward Fayetteville, then into eastern OK, then south and around through Ouachita, then Hot Springs, then back to Little Rock. It seems to me that the entire eastern half of AR has nothing to see or do, right? It seems like almost everything is concentrated in the central and northwestern part of the state. But correct me if I'm wrong!
I wish you were flying directly into Little Rock, but you will still have time to hit the AR highlights. Yes, in Little Rock you will want to take time to see Central High and the Clinton Library. From there I would head NW to Benton and Washington county. The sites I would concentrate on seeing the University, the mountain area, Crystal Bridges, Beaver Lake, Cooper Chapel, and Eureka Springs, stopping if there is time, at Beaver Lake. Then depending on the time left you can head back to Hot Springs. Remember, especially the first few days are going to be crowded with tourists due to the holiday. if you can try and enjoy a July 4th parade and celebration. Almost every little town will be offering activities on either Sunday or Monday.

I just read your reason for flying into Memphis; it makes good sense and yes, you will see a terrific difference from the east to the west and then NW part of the state both culturally and scenery.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wish you were flying directly into Little Rock, but you will still have time to hit the AR highlights. Yes, in Little Rock you will want to take time to see Central High and the Clinton Library. From there I would head NW to Benton and Washington county. The sites I would concentrate on seeing the University, the mountain area, Crystal Bridges, Beaver Lake, Cooper Chapel, and Eureka Springs, stopping if there is time, at Beaver Lake. Then depending on the time left you can head back to Hot Springs. Remember, especially the first few days are going to be crowded with tourists due to the holiday. if you can try and enjoy a July 4th parade and celebration. Almost every little town will be offering activities on either Sunday or Monday.

I just read your reason for flying into Memphis; it makes good sense and yes, you will see a terrific difference from the east to the west and then NW part of the state both culturally and scenery.
Yeah, I'm glad I'm driving in from Memphis. It will be more similar to having done a road trip down there from CT. I like to see how a state varies in character from the entrance/border to the other side of the state.

With that said, i think you misunderstood the dates I'm going to be there. I'm not going to be there for 4th of July. I'm arriving the following Saturday (7/9) and staying until 7/16. And I'll be doing most things during weekdays anyway. So hopefully places won't be crowded at all.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:36 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Flying into Memphis, are you going to visit any of the points of interest in Memphis? There's a lot there. Also, you could run up to Dyess and see Johnny Cash's childhood home. Arkansas State U owns it and restored it. That would help break up the drive a little bit. There's an archaeological site on the way from Memphis to Little Rock, with old Indian mounds. And there's a wildlife reserve on the Cache River. Swampland at it's finest!

Really, I think if you're staying in Central AR, that driving all the way to Northwest Arkansas is going to use up a lot of time. With so much to see in and around the capital, and in the River Valley, and in Hot Springs which are all so easily do-able time wise, and the fact that at the end of your trip you'll be driving back to Memphis, it's just a lot of time sitting in a car.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Flying into Memphis, are you going to visit any of the points of interest in Memphis? There's a lot there. Also, you could run up to Dyess and see Johnny Cash's childhood home. Arkansas State U owns it and restored it. That would help break up the drive a little bit. There's an archaeological site on the way from Memphis to Little Rock, with old Indian mounds. And there's a wildlife reserve on the Cache River. Swampland at it's finest!

Really, I think if you're staying in Central AR, that driving all the way to Northwest Arkansas is going to use up a lot of time. With so much to see in and around the capital, and in the River Valley, and in Hot Springs which are all so easily do-able time wise, and the fact that at the end of your trip you'll be driving back to Memphis, it's just a lot of time sitting in a car.
Really? I googled it and it's only a 2 hour drive from Little Rock to NW AR. Plus, I really want to see the Walmart Museum, Eureka Springs and the Ozarks! I also want to explore eastern OK, because it looks breathtaking in google Street view and photos, etc. I'll have 6 full days between traveling to do all these things. It's not like I have a spouse and children bogging me down. I think spending all 6 days in Little Rock would be a wasted opportunity to explore the rest of the state.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm glad I'm driving in from Memphis. It will be more similar to having done a road trip down there from CT. I like to see how a state varies in character from the entrance/border to the other side of the state.

With that said, i think you misunderstood the dates I'm going to be there. I'm not going to be there for 4th of July. I'm arriving the following Saturday (7/9) and staying until 7/16. And I'll be doing most things during weekdays anyway. So hopefully places won't be crowded at all.
that's ok, I was just a week behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas