Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:24 AM

7 posts, read 37,853 times

Advertisements

I am planning on doing Teach for America (Teach For America - Home) in a couple of years. I want to do it in one of the rural regions so I could become more connected to the students and communities. One of the rural region placement sites is in the delta region Arkansas. Forrest City, and Marianna are two of the cities which are in the region. I would teach in one of the following school districts:
Helena/West Helena School District
Hughes School District
Lakeside School District
Lee County School District
Marvell School District
Palestine/Wheatley School District
Forrest City School District
KIPP: Delta College Preparatory Schools

If anyone out there lives near or in one of these school districts and could tell me what its like to live there, cost of living, things to do and other general info it would be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:35 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,031 times
ananth--I wish I could tell you that The Delta region of Arkansas is a good place to live, but i would be lying if I did. Mosquitoes big enough to use for fishing bait. Nothing in the way of culture or entertainment. A poor, mostly uneducated population [but thats why youre going]. No pretty scenery to speak of unless you think rice paddies or cotton fields are pretty. If a rural school district is a requirement, there are plenty in the north and west parts of the state. And it is SO much more beautiful there! Good luck!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:22 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,825 times
Also high crime, and mosquitoes again. (I hate mosquitoes )

A friend of mine grew up in Forrest City and he said fist fights were an almost daily occurrence in high school. Mostly black kids ganging up on the few white kids. If you have children I hope you have taken them into consideration, but I have a feeling you don't have any.

I can't imagine the cost of living being anything to worry about. That entire area is so unbelievably **** poor that any teacher's salary should be very livable.

If you like to fish there is some great fishing to be had in the area. My favorite place to go is right next to Hughes.
Also, I don't think I've seen a more depressing town in Arkansas than Hughes.

You must be one of those few (crazy) genuinely good people in the world for wanting to move to any of those places and teach.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:38 PM

369 posts, read 1,302,007 times
I am originally from the Delta, and like many people from that part of the country, I left as soon as I could. Jonesboro is commonly called "the Oasis of the Delta", because it is the only part of that region that is actually prosperous. Outside of Jonesboro, the Delta is extremely poor and uneducated. Of all of the school districts you mentioned, Forrest City is probably the best one (which isn't saying much at all). If you end up going to Lee County(Marianna), you will be in what is quite possibly the poorest county in America. Cost of living will not be an issue at all, and actually you will be one of the wealthiest individuals in the community that you reside in. The only thing good about the Delta region is that it is near Memphis, which I'm sure that you know has plenty of entertainment and culture. If you have any other questions, just ask (as I mentioned I am originally from there and I should be able to help).

Old 02-17-2008, 04:19 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,278 times
It would be nice to say the area is great...There is so much crime and poverty, I dont know... Its the part of the state with the largest black population probably (NOT trying to be racist, there are plenty of good, well-educated black folks- these arent some of them), and becomes associated with crime. Theres great duck hunting 'round there, though. That would be one of the pros along with Memphis. Good Luck- maybe with more people like you there it could change... Good Luck again- you'll need it!

Old 02-17-2008, 06:01 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,323 times
Good luck. You're going to need it.

Especially if you're white. As bad as that sounds, it's the truth.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:34 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth View Post
I am planning on doing Teach for America (Teach For America - Home) in a couple of years. I want to do it in one of the rural regions so I could become more connected to the students and communities. One of the rural region placement sites is in the delta region Arkansas. Forrest City, and Marianna are two of the cities which are in the region. I would teach in one of the following school districts:
Helena/West Helena School District
Hughes School District
Lakeside School District
Lee County School District
Marvell School District
Palestine/Wheatley School District
Forrest City School District
KIPP: Delta College Preparatory Schools

If anyone out there lives near or in one of these school districts and could tell me what its like to live there, cost of living, things to do and other general info it would be much appreciated

What a wonderful idea! I've pretty much decided that I want to move to Arkansas, but I hadn't really decided where or what I was going to do, but after going to the website for Teach for America, I think I know. Of course wonderful poster like Junkman, have also helped prompt my decision. Like my grandma always said, "If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem."

Old 02-18-2008, 01:37 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,942 times
Default Mosquito or Not to Mosquito?

I realize that this Delta region is not the most popular; however, personal opinions aside, can anyone objectively tell me which of the areas the OP mentioned or a nearby surrounding area the OP mentioned have the lowest amount of mosquitoes?

Old 02-18-2008, 02:20 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,267,874 times
Hon, you get into the delta and you get skeeters...that's pretty much all there is to it. I don't know that there's a lower/higher ratio unless you hit the mountains in far NWA...sorry, but skeeters are a way of life, some days are just worse than others.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:32 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,825 times
I think that would be similar to asking which of the towns don't have oxygen in the air to breathe. All those communities are surrounded by cotton, soybean, and rice patties. Even in the center of a sizable town like Forrest City you will have swarms of mosquitoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas