Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 07:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Do you love JESUS?

If so, you'll assimilate very well.

If you don't or aren't interested in the subject, you'll be harassed.

Based on personal experience.
would you care to inform us when you lived in AR and for how long? This is so far from AR. today it isn't funny. Yes, many people are devoted to their religion. But there are many who do not attend church, are atheist or agnostics: they have little if any trouble fitting in. I guess if someone were to ask a new family if they had found a church yet and the new resident started blasting someone's faith, they may be not warmly accepted, but otherwise most of AR is very open to varies beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
certainly hasn't been my experience !

Despite numerous churches, I am surprised at the number of people in my neighborhood who don't belong or don't attend any church.

I have lived here 4 1/2 years and only twice have I had someone say.........." Have you found a church? If not , I would like to extend a welcome to attend ours"
I certainly don't consider that as an example of shoving religion down my throat .
that is exactly what happened to us when we first moved here: we were asked a few times about a church family. No one lectured, turn their backs, put us down or whatever. In our small neighborhood about 1/2 of us probably attend church regularly, the rest probably enjoy doing other things on Sunday.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
A truthful life experience is important to share for the benefit of those thinking of moving to Arkansas.

The religious right made my life a misery in Arkansas. Since I was a public employee I had to keep my mouth shut in spite of all the "N" words and "Jaysus Jaysus Jaysus" I had to hear on a nearly daily basis from people I found completely repugnant.

That was my real life experience living in Arkansas between 1998 and 2002. Of course, everything could have become sunshine and roses since then.

And since I have gotten positive reps on my comment, there are those who must have shared my experience but who don't feel comfortable publicly discussing their own views.
ok, you answered my question, but you are also going back almost 20 years and you haven't mentioned where in AR you lived. I have a gut feeling you are over exaggerating your experience. At least based on my experience and that of my family. I am sure there are still pockets of AR, as well as other states that base acceptance on religion. Heck, what about states like Utah? And yet, I doubt everyone living in Utah is Mormon (I know the are not) and I doubt those who are not are not welcome.

If someone flaunts their lack of religious beliefs or flaunts their beliefs period that is another story.

BTW, are we supposed to be impressed that you have gotten some positive reps?

Last edited by nmnita; 10-04-2016 at 08:10 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 11:20 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
We moved to and lived awhile in Salem,yes people are religious but went out of there way to accept us with no mention of church or religion.They were helpful at the drop of a hat'
We still use a 5' hand crafted quilt rack which was given to us as a welcoming present,maybe you reapeth what you sow.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:06 AM

9 posts, read 6,300 times
When I liked in Arkansas I saw a lot of elderly people walking the streets.

I think they like the warm weather and nature in the city.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:32 AM

78 posts, read 70,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
It's a question that has been on my mind for a while. Arkansas has much to offer. I wonder how accepting Arkansas communities are of the strangers that choose to retire in their midst. I hope to hear from folks who were the strangers making the choice.

Regards,

Kevin
I can only speak for the 2 communities where we spend time: F'ville and Hot Springs. We have felt welcome and accepted. We have always felt safe. We have not had "religion shoved down our throat".

A Retiree is not necessarily going to be concerned about the K-12 classroom curriculum in the local school district.

However, in virtually every state, smaller communities are just that, small. In my experience, these smaller communities are harder to break into, even if you fit the locale mold. At this stage in life, I just do not have time for that, so we pivot towards larger communities that have much more to offer, like F'Ville and Hot Springs.

Bella Vista and Hot Springs have attracted a great deal of retirees. You would be in good company in either location.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:19 PM

383 posts, read 400,262 times
Goodbye All!

Old 10-31-2016, 07:55 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
Goodbye All!
Where you goin'? LOL

Old 11-01-2016, 04:27 PM

188 posts, read 254,072 times
OK, who had the garlic and onion hamburger- thereby driving explorearkansas from the thread?? :-)

Old 11-02-2016, 08:45 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Yeah, who forgot ta brush their teeth on here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas