Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 06:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromnewmexicotounknown View Post
i'm trying to decide on a possible move to hot springs or eureka springs...originally i was only interested in hot springs but i have been directed away from that area due to crime and not being accepting of liberals..i read that hot springs has highest crime in the US??? i am aware there was a MAJOR hate crime directed to a transsexual and the police wouldn't even help her...if that is the general attitude there..i dont want to live there, no offense please!!

Anyone who lives there..if you can please clarify..i love that it is larger than eureka springs (and warmer) but i already live in a very high crime area and would rather not move to another one..

i am liberal, spiritual healer, and into music but don't want too huge of a town

the beauty of arkansas is breathtaking and there are reasons i need to live in this state right now

thank you.
wow, don't know where you get your information but most of what you say you have heard or read is all off Is Hot Springs conservative? Not nearly as much as most of AR but not really liberal either. Is there a lot of crime? Check parts of Little Rock, Pine Bluff, the eastern part of the state, there is where the crime is.

Now, if you are looking for a really or more liberal community you should visit Eureka Springs. Though Eureka Springs is small it is only a few minutes driving to the larger areas on NWA>
BTW, we lived in the ABQ area for 7 years; the crime in most of AR can not compare with NM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
From what you write about yourself, I would suggest considering Eureka Springs, Fayetteville, perhaps Conway, and the Heights in Little Rock. Eureka Springs would contain kindred spirits - but it pretty much shuts down for most of the winter. Fayetteville and the surrounding area is booming - the University of Arkansas draws many more open-minded people to this area. Conway is a smaller, historic college town, close to Little Rock. And Little Rock itself should be considered - downtown is experiencing a turn-around, and the Pulaski Heights-Hillcrest area might work for you.

Good luck with your search. Arkansas is a beautiful state, with so much more than many unfamiliar with it realize.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:20 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
i'm trying to decide on a possible move to hot springs or eureka springs...originally i was only interested in hot springs but i have been directed away from that area due to crime and not being accepting of liberals..i read that hot springs has highest crime in the US??? i am aware there was a MAJOR hate crime directed to a transsexual and the police wouldn't even help her...if that is the general attitude there..i dont want to live there, no offense please!!

Anyone who lives there..if you can please clarify..i love that it is larger than eureka springs (and warmer) but i already live in a very high crime area and would rather not move to another one..

i am liberal, spiritual healer, and into music but don't want too huge of a town

the beauty of arkansas is breathtaking and there are reasons i need to live in this state right now

thank you.
You have to realize that the very premise that a town is just lookin' for liberals and gays to beat up or treat badly is pretty stereotypically offensive.

This largely occurs due to politically oriented articles targeting a part of the country over it being "red" or "blue". (My previous home city of Chicago is routinely attacked this way)

Like most anywhere, if you treat others well they will reciprocate and every part of the country has some jerks that might assault you for some dumb reason.

P.S. Even pretty tilted states still have 30% dem\repub as the smaller group. If they can stand the horror, I'd imagine you can too.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:44 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,648 times
You are a liberal and a spiritual healer and you're citing "articles" from a site named for the AR15? I think you should take a closer look at your sources and perhaps – their agendas.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:14 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,654 times
Quote:
If you want accurate answers look into things. Did you look at the "sources" for that completely BS article? The only FBI source they listed was from 2011 and 2014 and never mentioned Hot Springs.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:13 PM

97 posts, read 172,841 times
I have since spoke to 2 people who moved to hot springs..spiritual and liberal and very happy there though i am thinking eureka springs will still be a better fit for me..i am driving down in a few months to visit both..

Old 11-23-2016, 10:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas_Tgirl View Post
I never thought of it as being a high crime area.

What happened to Jacie could probably happen in Fayetteville too, my fear in Hot Springs would be being a victim and then being treated like a non person by the legal system. If it happened in Fayettevile the police would probably come down on the guys who did it like a hammer.

Anyways I couldn't see myself leaving Fayetteville for Hot Springs even if it wasn't for that. HS is fun to visit every once in a while.
of course many people living in Hot Springs love it and that is the way it should be, but I agree with you: visit, enjoy, have fun and then return to NWA.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:17 PM

506 posts, read 651,242 times
We lived outside Hot Springs for nine years and I miss it terribly. Its so beautiful and quirky and has lots of deer plus views of the mountains. But to say it has very little or no crime is ridiculous. No way I'd walk downtown past dark. Do you want some examples?
My daughter and I were getting gas around 9pm one night and a guy got out of his car and said, "I'm not going to rob you or anything." I was sitting eating in my car around noon and this goon knocked on my window to get a dime from me. Last year, one of my grandson's friends, 19, sat in his car while this ex con walked up to a guy's house to collect drug money. The guy opened his door and shot the man dead. My grandson's friend drove off and his father bought off his prison sentence. It is very political there. When we first moved there we were driving up the main street and a man was shot in the stomach and collapsed to the pavement. It was at a gas station where people stand in line to pay utility bills that are past due. One of my grandson's friends was found shot dead and thrown into a ditch last year. If you love Hot Springs like I do then move to Hot Spring Village. It's a gated place that really is not gated. That's just a rumor. One gate keeps getting vandalized and shut down for repairs or replacement. I cannot imagine a town that , if you know the police , you can get away with just about anything. You should see the "people" at the bus station. Talk about appearing like you're on meth. Very skinny and pale, hair like a witch, in a panic on their cell phones. You get to your destination and if you don't retrieve your bags fast from under the bus RIGHT AWAY they get stolen.
My daughter had someone steal the front door off her house last month. No; she's not popular. They also stole all the copper wiring running from her hot water heater and sold it. I will admit the two of them are Big Trouble. They attract the worst of the worse. So I can never go back there to live with them living there. I still love that town, the scenery, the restaurants, the super quirky atmosphere (in daylight). Liberal town far as I know.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:18 PM

97 posts, read 172,841 times
thank you..how far is hot springs village from hot springs??

Old 12-05-2016, 09:59 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
HS Village is about a 15-20 minute drive from Hot Springs. If you take the Gulpha Gorge cutoff from 7 to E. Grand you don't have to go through downtown HS to get to the mall, etc. We found it not a bad drive at all when we were staying in HSV. They were working on 7 at the time (Spring 2016), widening it, so it may take even less time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas