Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 01:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your opinion that these people aren't voters makes no sense because the marchers are clearly people who are politically active. The most basic action that a person who is politically interested can take is registering to vote. And then voting. That's what politically active, engaged, interested people do. No, they probably didn't vote for Trump. But they still voted. And then they went further, and marched in protest.

These marches weren't pro-choice marches. They were pro-women marches. Because President Trump has made remarks that aren't pro-women. I'm not talking about his years ago behavior. I'm talking about this election, where he made comments about Megyn Kelly and others that were crude and intended to put women down. I'm talking about this election where he said that if his daughter were sexually harassed in the workplace that she should quit and find another job. The burden for working in a workplace free of sexual harassment shouldn't rest on women.

When a comment about a woman attacks her gender, it's not just a personal attack. It's an attack against all women. The marchers understood that.
I have no problems with what you are saying: I don't like him either, on a personal level. He is the last person I would have a glass of wine with, but that doesn't change the fact, not all marchers are politically active: If you really believe that you are living in La La Land in my opinion. I wish more would vote. AS for planned parenthood and our tax $$s paying for abortions. No, planned parenthood does not preform abortions, but they do council young women about abortion and refer them to abortion centers. The salaries are paid for, partly by our tax $$s thus we are paying for abortions. Let me add, I am not 100% anti abortion but I am totally opposed to my tax dollars paying for any part of the proceedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 01:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have no problems with what you are saying: I don't like him either, on a personal level. He is the last person I would have a glass of wine with, but that doesn't change the fact, not all marchers are politically active: If you really believe that you are living in La La Land in my opinion. I wish more would vote. AS for planned parenthood and our tax $$s paying for abortions. No, planned parenthood does not preform abortions, but they do council young women about abortion and refer them to abortion centers. The salaries are paid for, partly by our tax $$s thus we are paying for abortions. Let me add, I am not 100% anti abortion but I am totally opposed to my tax dollars paying for any part of the proceedure.
Some Planned Parenthood clinics DO perform abortions.

And Planned Parenthood does counsel young women about abortion.

But only about 3% of Planned Parenthood's services are abortion. And a significant amount of their funding comes from people like myself. I'm happy to provide funds to be spent in any way that Planned Parenthood sees fit. And there are many people like me. My dollars are spent to provide abortions. Not tax dollars. So NO tax dollars are spent at Planned Parenthood for abortions. Planned Parenthood also charges the women for abortions. Planned Parenthood charges on a sliding scale according to a patient's ability to pay. Only people who are completely indigent receive free services.

YOUR tax dollars don't pay for ANY part of the procedure.

And, ALL marchers are politically active. Getting involved in a political protest is the definition of being politically active. You can't march and be politically inactive. Many of these marches, by the way, required people to register beforehand. For instance, in Little Rock, 4400 people registered in order to participate. Registering was an action. Registering to participate in a political rally, march or protest is an action. People who do so are active in expressing their political viewpoints. They are politically active.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:42 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times
I lean liberal, but Hillary was a exceptionally bad candidate. When Bernie lost the primaries, I was only giving Hillary an25% chance to beat Trump. I thought she was only very slightly less bad than Trump, so we were screwed either way come 8 november 2016. My main concern with Trump is his denial of the scientifice concensus regarding climate change. The other policies, for better or worse, can be reversed if they are particularly bad. Climate policy can do damage that cannot be undone for thousands of years. If we continue warming, large sections of the middle east will become uninhabitable and we will we swarming with immigrants. I'm in favor of slow, controlled immigration, and if there was a massive disaster out there, under my preffered policy, we would have to turn down a lot of people. I guess Green Libertarian is closest to what I believe, with some influences from the keynesian school of economics. I think the social safety net can be too large, but at the moment it is too small in the country and we need a little more for people with children--perhaps giving them tax-funded daycare and healthcare for their children so the children can get a head start in life. As for our gun death problem, we should NOT go after guns themselves. Instead, we should have life preparedness classes in our high schools to partially prevent people from doing ignorant things with guns later in life, as well as give our mental health system a boost to partially prevent mass shootings. Guns aren't going away, so we need to make gum safety and early part of the culture.

At any rate, my people lost this election, and protesting at this point won't do much good. I only support small demonstrations in parks and the like to let people know we are watching. Marching on the streets causes too much disruption to innocent people, who may be liberal themselves.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Some Planned Parenthood clinics DO perform abortions.

And Planned Parenthood does counsel young women about abortion.

But only about 3% of Planned Parenthood's services are abortion. And a significant amount of their funding comes from people like myself. I'm happy to provide funds to be spent in any way that Planned Parenthood sees fit. And there are many people like me. My dollars are spent to provide abortions. Not tax dollars. So NO tax dollars are spent at Planned Parenthood for abortions. Planned Parenthood also charges the women for abortions. Planned Parenthood charges on a sliding scale according to a patient's ability to pay. Only people who are completely indigent receive free services.

YOUR tax dollars don't pay for ANY part of the procedure.

And, ALL marchers are politically active. Getting involved in a political protest is the definition of being politically active. You can't march and be politically inactive. Many of these marches, by the way, required people to register beforehand. For instance, in Little Rock, 4400 people registered in order to participate. Registering was an action. Registering to participate in a political rally, march or protest is an action. People who do so are active in expressing their political viewpoints. They are politically active.
we will have to agree to disagree on this: A person can be politically active on a single issue or conned into believing they should take action, but I am still standing by not all or anywhere near all of them vote.

Abortion: did I say my tax $$s directly pay for them? No, but they do indirectly.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
we will have to agree to disagree on this: A person can be politically active on a single issue or conned into believing they should take action, but I am still standing by not all or anywhere near all of them vote.

Abortion: did I say my tax $$s directly pay for them? No, but they do indirectly.
Marching in a political protest is a political action. Therefore someone marching in a political protest is politcally active. I didn't say every single person marching voted. But you said MOST of them didn't vote. And that's what I challenged.

As for abortion, I understand your perspective. But Planned Parenthood gets ample funds in donations to cover the costs of abortions without using tax dollars. And that's a proven fact, as the law has prohibited tax dollars being spent on abortion, and Planned Parenthood has submitted all of their books for years to verify to the government that tax dollars aren't being spent on abortion.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:10 PM

188 posts, read 253,965 times
Quote:
Planned Parenthood provides services to men as well as women.

And if insurance covers a medicine or procedure, then Planned Parenthood bills the insurer. The procedures and prescriptions that Planned Parenthood provides at low- or no-cost is to people (men and women) who don't have insurance or whose insurance does not cover these services. Abortion makes up only a miniscule portion of services that Planned Parenthood provides. Their focus is on reproductive services. But that does include male birth control, and male screenings for STD's and other conditions.
They screen by arranging for services elsewhere. If the abortion business is so damn small, then getting rid of it would not be a problem. Also, curious that almost all PP offices are in the black community. Since PP was founded by Margaret Sanger (an admitted profound racist) who wanted to kill ALL "minorities and
imbeciles", it should not come as a surprise. This group was built on hate.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:15 PM

A good read from the NY Times. Billionaire George Soros has ties to more than 50 ‘partners’ of the Women’s March on Washington – Women in the World in Association with The New York Times – WITW

Old 01-23-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
They screen by arranging for services elsewhere. If the abortion business is so damn small, then getting rid of it would not be a problem. Also, curious that almost all PP offices are in the black community. Since PP was founded by Margaret Sanger (an admitted profound racist) who wanted to kill ALL "minorities and
imbeciles", it should not come as a surprise. This group was built on hate.
The group wasn't built on hate.

They do arrange for services elsewhere, and provide vouchers to help those who cannot afford it to pay for those services. The abortion business is small. It is also legal, and in some areas, Planned Parenthood is the only provider of this legal service. This fact is why pro-lifers want to shut Planned Parenthood down.

Margaret Sanger was simply a product of her time, which was a very racist era. She did not want to KILL anyone. She did want to empower women by letting women control their reproductive health. When Planned Parenthood was started, its intention was to provide birth control, not abortions.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:51 PM

Her words:
"The most merciful thing that a large family does to one of its infant members is to kill it."
Margaret Sanger, Women and the New Race
(Eugenics Publ. Co., 1920, 1923)

On blacks, immigrants and indigents:
"...human weeds,' 'reckless breeders,' 'spawning... human beings who never should have been born." Margaret Sanger, Pivot of Civilization, referring to immigrants and poor people
On sterilization & racial purification:
Sanger believed that, for the purpose of racial "purification," couples should be rewarded who chose sterilization. Birth Control in America, The Career of Margaret Sanger, by David Kennedy, p. 117, quoting a 1923 Sanger speech.

On the right of married couples to bear children:
Couples should be required to submit applications to have a child, she wrote in her "Plan for Peace." Birth Control Review, April 1932

On the purpose of birth control:
The purpose in promoting birth control was "to create a race of thoroughbreds," she wrote in the Birth Control Review, Nov. 1921 (p. 2)

On the rights of the handicapped and mentally ill, and racial minorities:
"More children from the fit, less from the unfit -- that is the chief aim of birth control." Birth Control Review, May 1919, p. 12

On the extermination of blacks:
"We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population," she said, "if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members." Woman's Body, Woman's Right: A Social History of Birth Control in America, by Linda Gordon

On respecting the rights of the mentally ill:
In her "Plan for Peace," Sanger outlined her strategy for eradication of those she deemed "feebleminded." Among the steps included in her evil scheme were immigration restrictions; compulsory sterilization; segregation to a lifetime of farm work; etc. Birth Control Review, April 1932, p. 107

On adultery:
A woman's physical satisfaction was more important than any marriage vow, Sanger believed. Birth Control in America, p. 11

Let me know if you want more. And I can give more...

Old 01-23-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
Her words:
"The most merciful thing that a large family does to one of its infant members is to kill it."
Margaret Sanger, Women and the New Race
(Eugenics Publ. Co., 1920, 1923)

On blacks, immigrants and indigents:
"...human weeds,' 'reckless breeders,' 'spawning... human beings who never should have been born." Margaret Sanger, Pivot of Civilization, referring to immigrants and poor people
On sterilization & racial purification:
Sanger believed that, for the purpose of racial "purification," couples should be rewarded who chose sterilization. Birth Control in America, The Career of Margaret Sanger, by David Kennedy, p. 117, quoting a 1923 Sanger speech.

On the right of married couples to bear children:
Couples should be required to submit applications to have a child, she wrote in her "Plan for Peace." Birth Control Review, April 1932

On the purpose of birth control:
The purpose in promoting birth control was "to create a race of thoroughbreds," she wrote in the Birth Control Review, Nov. 1921 (p. 2)

On the rights of the handicapped and mentally ill, and racial minorities:
"More children from the fit, less from the unfit -- that is the chief aim of birth control." Birth Control Review, May 1919, p. 12

On the extermination of blacks:
"We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population," she said, "if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members." Woman's Body, Woman's Right: A Social History of Birth Control in America, by Linda Gordon

On respecting the rights of the mentally ill:
In her "Plan for Peace," Sanger outlined her strategy for eradication of those she deemed "feebleminded." Among the steps included in her evil scheme were immigration restrictions; compulsory sterilization; segregation to a lifetime of farm work; etc. Birth Control Review, April 1932, p. 107

On adultery:
A woman's physical satisfaction was more important than any marriage vow, Sanger believed. Birth Control in America, p. 11

Let me know if you want more. And I can give more...
Yes, she was a product of her time when it came to her views on race. So was Lindbergh, who was also a fan of Hitler's. Lincoln considered the possibility of returning black people to Africa. Racism is a culturally entrenched perspective. People who are the product of extremely racist cultures, like the one in the United States in the early 20th century, tend to hold racist views. I know, shocking, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas