Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:33 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,066,824 times

Advertisements

Hey Everybody!

I want to thank everybody so much for their input on my direct threads and the other threads. You are doing are great service for people like me who wish to join your communities.

I just have one more question that I think is better asked of people who live in or travel around the State: I am coming to do a quick tour in May and want to visit my "final twelve" - West Memphis, Blytheville, El Dorado, North Little Rock, Texarkana, Jacksonville, Hotsprings, Pine Bluff, Conway, Jonesboro, Sherwood, and Fort Smith. How realistic is it for me to able to see all twelve in three or four days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 05:41 AM

369 posts, read 1,295,456 times
Considering that half of the communities listed are in the LR Metro, visiting them all in 3-4 days would be very easy. Sherwood, North Little Rock, and Jacksonville all border each other and Conway and Pine Bluff would be 20 and 30 minutes away respectably. You can knock out Central Arkansas in one day, then hit East Arkansas for one day(Jonesboro, West Memphis, and Blytheville), and south Arkansas one day (El Dorado, Texarkana, and Hot Springs). Since Fort Smith is far away from all the other communites you mentioned, maybe you could tour it while coming into or leaving the state. Just a suggestion

Old 03-02-2008, 09:26 AM

Excellent. Thank you.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:06 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,422,630 times
Dont forget the MACE when you come to Pine Bluff!

Old 03-02-2008, 11:21 AM

292 posts, read 1,303,461 times
Personally, if I could just pick any place in Arkansas that I wanted without any consideration given to having a job, it wouldn't be anywhere but in the top northwest corner of the state....west of Little Rock and mostly north of I-40. There are a few nice places a little below I-40, but only west of Little Rock. That's just my opinion....so consider that I personally love a rural or small-town way of life and hate cities. (I would actually live out in the middle of nowhere, where my family cabin is.) That being said, I've found that Fayetteville is a very pretty small city. If I had to pick a city to live in in Arkansas, I believe that would be it. Ft. Smith is a nice size and seems fairly easy to get around in, but it is flat. I love the hills and mountains, and Fayetteville is hilly and closer to the actual mountains, Buffalo River, Mulberry River....it is positively beautiful out in those mountains!

I'm not sure where you're from and what you're used to, as I don't remember your other posts, but if I were you I wouldn't even consider the ones that are not in the "corner". El Dorado and Pine Bluff are not particularly nice places. I've never been to West Memphis, but it's not in those beautiful mountains. Hot Springs is in a fairly pretty spot in Arkansas (Ouachita mountains), but was pretty run down last time I was there....I'm talking the real city, not the "tourist" part.

Ok, I went back and found your original post and know more about your situation. I don't know enough about it to answer the black/white dating question, so keep in mind that I'm just commenting based on the aesthetics of the places I've commented on. Have you read the thread about "Ozarks vs. Ouachitas"? That gives you an idea of the aesthetic differences in the two mountain areas. (I prefer the Ozarks.)

Really and truly...El Dorado and Pine Bluff are a looong way out of the way from all the rest of your choices....E.D. is almost to Louisiana. I wouldn't swing that far out of my way to visit either of them.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:58 AM

Last night after I made this post, I found a new website, ****.com, and seven of the 24 listings were in Arkansas, two my this list: Hot Springs and Little Rock. I'm kind of tired of the city, but I want to be close enough to enjoy city conveniences (yes I want my cake and eat it,too). So I've decided North Little Rock over Little Rock and chose cities (?) that have a population of over 15,000. I didn't choose smaller populations because I've been told that the yare very closed and won't welcome an outsider, especially from California.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 PM

369 posts, read 1,295,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Last night after I made this post, I found a new website, ****.com, and seven of the 24 listings were in Arkansas, two my this list: Hot Springs and Little Rock. I'm kind of tired of the city, but I want to be close enough to enjoy city conveniences (yes I want my cake and eat it,too). So I've decided North Little Rock over Little Rock and chose cities (?) that have a population of over 15,000. I didn't choose smaller populations because I've been told that the yare very closed and won't welcome an outsider, especially from California.
The more I study your situation, the more it seems like you would enjoy a place like Jonesboro. It's a steadily growing family-oriented community of approximately 65,000 and it is only a hour away from the big city amenities of Memphis. Jonesboro and Valley View school districts have great schools and the city itself does not have much crime. You seriously might want to check out Jonesboro a little bit more.

Also consider Marion, AR... It borders West Memphis to the north and it does not have the crime of West Memphis and it is one of the best school districts in the Memphis Metro (and East Arkansas). You mentioned that you preferred a community with a population of atleast 15,000, and although the 2000 census of Marion is not at 15k, I would not be surprised if Marion's population is actually well over 15,000 today as it has been growing dramatically over the past 15 years.

Last edited by North Pulaski Player; 03-02-2008 at 08:58 PM..

Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM

Thanks. I'm not opposed to a community smaller than 15,000 as long as they are opposed to Angelenos. :-)

I checked out Marion, it looks cool. I'll add it to the list, thanks.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:20 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,182,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
Personally, if I could just pick any place in Arkansas that I wanted without any consideration given to having a job, it wouldn't be anywhere but in the top northwest corner of the state....west of Little Rock and mostly north of I-40. There are a few nice places a little below I-40, but only west of Little Rock. That's just my opinion....so consider that I personally love a rural or small-town way of life and hate cities. (I would actually live out in the middle of nowhere, where my family cabin is.) That being said, I've found that Fayetteville is a very pretty small city. If I had to pick a city to live in in Arkansas, I believe that would be it. Ft. Smith is a nice size and seems fairly easy to get around in, but it is flat. I love the hills and mountains, and Fayetteville is hilly and closer to the actual mountains, Buffalo River, Mulberry River....it is positively beautiful out in those mountains!

I'm not sure where you're from and what you're used to, as I don't remember your other posts, but if I were you I wouldn't even consider the ones that are not in the "corner". El Dorado and Pine Bluff are not particularly nice places. I've never been to West Memphis, but it's not in those beautiful mountains. Hot Springs is in a fairly pretty spot in Arkansas (Ouachita mountains), but was pretty run down last time I was there....I'm talking the real city, not the "tourist" part.

Ok, I went back and found your original post and know more about your situation. I don't know enough about it to answer the black/white dating question, so keep in mind that I'm just commenting based on the aesthetics of the places I've commented on. Have you read the thread about "Ozarks vs. Ouachitas"? That gives you an idea of the aesthetic differences in the two mountain areas. (I prefer the Ozarks.)

Really and truly...El Dorado and Pine Bluff are a looong way out of the way from all the rest of your choices....E.D. is almost to Louisiana. I wouldn't swing that far out of my way to visit either of them.
We already ruled out NW Arkansas in another thread by the OP. She might like Ft. Smith. Its not my cup of tea, but for somebody looking for a family oriented, Christian centered community, Ft. Smith might work. It is probably the most "Bible belt" of the major Arkansas towns. However, it is a wet city in a dry county, unlike Jonesboro which is completely dry.

Ft. Smith is at the foothills of the Ozarks and you can see the Quachitas from town, so I wouldn't say its flat at all.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:20 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,731,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Are you tired of urban density or just feeling like you're a part of a city? NLR really seems just like another part of LR, imo. The typical reason most people choose it over LR proper is taxes, schools or work location. If you are tired of urban density then most of NLR will be fine but if you're tired of feeling like you're even close to the city then you may not find what you're looking for there. The only northside metro town where I think you feel somewhat disconnected from LR is Maumelle and that won't last too long since so much is going up on Maumelle Blvd. in NLR. Also, IMO there isn't a whole heck of a lot of difference between NLR, Sherwood and Jax. Jax might the only one with much distinctiveness because of the AF base.

When you come out, just take your time and explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas