Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 09:31 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Politically progressive, what do you consider Politically progressive, liberal views only?

Nita
That's what it usually means.. that's why I made a distinction between it and 'culturally progressive' (which is really what I care about more). I'm all over the board politically, but more libertarian than anything else, if that matters.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:19 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,097 times
at the risk of eating my own words about folk who don't live in certain areas posting about things they don't know about, i will venture to say as a native southerner and someone always willing to defend the reputation of my homeland, that rednecks are the same all over. in the desert they might listen to more willie nelson and smoke more weed, in the ozarks or the appalachians they tend to listen to more hank jr., but all the way up in new york all the way to california i have met lots and lots of white trash. again i use that term slightly tongue-in-cheek, but proudly, as i consider myself scotch-irish-cherokee=white trash. it isn't a term of derision for me. but everyone thinks the south has a corner on the market on ignorance and being born and raised and living in GA for thirty years i can tell you we have plenty of homegrown freaky people in those parts. maybe california has a more progressive base overall, but go out into the desert and you will get some Deliverance: Desert rat Style. hell, even up in humboldt, the pot growing capitol of the world, you get the hippies who have been there for fifty years and start to act like the appalachian mountain folk i grew up with- but with tie-dye. the appalachians do tend to breed a more xenophobic type- the piedmont area of south carolina is very different in that way from the mountains- but being descended from people (both mother and father's side) who literally got off the boat from Scotland and Ireland and never left the area for the next 250 years (til one daughter took it in her head to drive to california-me) i can tell you that the scotch irish are historically xenophobic and distrustful of outsiders due to their being border people. look it up- its pretty interesting. and those mountains can seal you right off from alot of so-called "progress". all i am saying is that while there is some historical truth to the appalachians being what some might call backward, the appalachians do not typify the south. and geography does have a real bearing on people- i was shocked when i moved to the piedmont in south carolina, friendliest damn people on the face of the earth there, bar none. they might not like your hippie liberal ways but they will still help change your tire or invite you over and bring you some venison sausage. they just could give a S$#t about all the political BS that alot of north metro atlantans (cobb county etc) like to whine about. just my two cents. there is alot to be proud of in the south and i am a proud southerner, but i can't live there anymore. i like my cheap avocados and medical marijuana too much. : )

Old 11-06-2010, 12:32 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Hey Spicoli, put down the pipe and read up on "using paragraphs to ease eyestrain on your loyal readers who will put your a-double-ess on ignore if you keep this up".

Old 11-06-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Hey Spicoli, put down the pipe and read up on "using paragraphs to ease eyestrain on your loyal readers who will put your a-double-ess on ignore if you keep this up".
i stand

corrected

sarge

Old 11-06-2010, 02:12 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
How'd you know I was a sergeant lo those many years ago?

Old 11-06-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
How'd you know I was a sergeant lo those many years ago?
perhaps the innate sense of respect you inspire in me SIR!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
That's what it usually means.. that's why I made a distinction between it and 'culturally progressive' (which is really what I care about more). I'm all over the board politically, but more libertarian than anything else, if that matters.
Alicia, that is what I thought you meant and I would pretty much agree. Though primarily AR is a blue state registration wise, it certainly isn't progressive or not as progressive as many states. It is also becoming more red as shown this past week.

I too would probably be labeled more a libertarian, though I normally vote Republican. I am certainly a fiscal conservative and am not ashamed to admit it, but on social issues it depends on the issue. I can still be pretty far to the right and I can lean very left.

Nita

Old 11-06-2010, 09:24 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,205,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I've eaten it. Not bad!
Ahhh....

The valley widens.

I suppose ol' boys question about fried squirrel was supposed to be a dig, but that shows his depth of knowledge.

Fried squirrel, and squirrel stew, is a staple at most of the farms around here, and is one of the best darn elements of breakfast that there is.

Yes, I know people....transplants...who say, "If it isn't plastic wrapped in a styrofoam tray, I'm not eating it". That's their right, they only miss out and aren't hurting me a bit.

In parts of Arkansas, the urban culture thrives and many look forward to their latte' in the morning.

In other parts, hunting is a big thing, recipes are carefully shared, and venison, wild pigs, squirrels, turkey, and a number of other critters are turned into foods that I would match against gourmet foods in most upscale restaurants.

It doesn't affect me a bit, but if some of these folks would get one of those airplane-boarding stairways so they could climb off the high horse they're on, they just might find a broader horizon.

Eventually, somebody on "The View" will say they had fried squirrel, and then it will be cool.

Heh.....squirrels & "The View".......I have no idea how I came up with that comparison.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:22 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,942,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Ahhh....

The valley widens.

I suppose ol' boys question about fried squirrel was supposed to be a dig, but that shows his depth of knowledge.

Fried squirrel, and squirrel stew, is a staple at most of the farms around here, and is one of the best darn elements of breakfast that there is.

Yes, I know people....transplants...who say, "If it isn't plastic wrapped in a styrofoam tray, I'm not eating it". That's their right, they only miss out and aren't hurting me a bit.

In parts of Arkansas, the urban culture thrives and many look forward to their latte' in the morning.

In other parts, hunting is a big thing, recipes are carefully shared, and venison, wild pigs, squirrels, turkey, and a number of other critters are turned into foods that I would match against gourmet foods in most upscale restaurants.

It doesn't affect me a bit, but if some of these folks would get one of those airplane-boarding stairways so they could climb off the high horse they're on, they just might find a broader horizon.

Eventually, somebody on "The View" will say they had fried squirrel, and then it will be cool.

Heh.....squirrels & "The View".......I have no idea how I came up with that comparison.
Well based on your post there seems to be a basis for the stereotype.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:27 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,069 times
I believe many of these fine foods can be seriously found in fine French restaurants in Paris. Maybe Arkansas is Continental.

Squirrel on a skewer may be quite continental, but diamonds are a girls best friend.

Instead of the Michelin restaurant ratings they have in Europe, Arkansas has BF Goodrich Restaurant ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Ahhh....

The valley widens.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas