Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 06:00 PM

218 posts, read 241,600 times

Advertisements

At least people know where Arkansas is. Try telling someone you are from NEW Mexico. you get ask for your green card, or told that you can't subscribe to x magazine because they don't mail to foreign countries. or what ever. very frustrating. i have even been ask the exchange rate for currency

Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,139,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaatar516 View Post
At least people know where Arkansas is. Try telling someone you are from NEW Mexico. you get ask for your green card, or told that you can't subscribe to x magazine because they don't mail to foreign countries. or what ever. very frustrating. i have even been ask the exchange rate for currency
If they were that stupid, maybe you should have had some fun with them and told them the exchange rate was 4 quarters too a dollar, 5 dimes too a fifty cent piece. Just to see what kind of a reaction you could get.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:22 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,502,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desirefirst View Post
excuse me if someone already mentioned this, but look at the positive side of this - the stereotypes will keep Arkansas under the radar of people looking to move somewhere new; the only new people who move to the Ark will be those who have taken the time and effort to actually visit and talk to people to find out what it is really like. be ok with Ark being a secret hideaway
So all guys from Arkansas don't marry their sisters?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:26 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Do Arkansasians really have no teeth or very few teeth?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
Just how many do you think it takes to gum fried squirrel, slick?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 AM

511 posts, read 799,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post

Guess that explains why there are so many dentists around here.

So much discussion on this thread. Maybe because no one wants to admit that the stereotypes are true. lol If you're not a hunter with deer blood on your face, you won't fit in in these parts.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,522 times
I don't know anything or anyone from Arkansas, but there is a lot of a negative sterotypes associated with this state. I did have a friend drive through a few years back and told stories that fit the sterotype of Arkanasas.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I did have a friend drive through a few years back and told stories that fit the sterotype of Arkanasas.
Well, there you go. It must be true!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaatar516 View Post
love it; reminds me of a time (right after we moved to NM) I was geting my hair cut in the Dallas area where we had lived before. The young lady who cut my hair asked me where I lived, I told her NM, she said she envied me cause of all the awesome beaches..I don't think I ever saw a beach along the Rio Grande.

Of course I explained to her that NM wasn't anywhere near Cancun and Cozumel nor was it part of Mexico. She preceeded to ask me when that happened?

yes, now I can say I live in AR and it is in the center, almost of the USA!!!

Nita

Old 11-08-2010, 09:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Guess that explains why there are so many dentists around here.

So much discussion on this thread. Maybe because no one wants to admit that the stereotypes are true. lol If you're not a hunter with deer blood on your face, you won't fit in in these parts.
Lived here far longer than you. Fit in fine. Don't own a gun. Liberal politics.

The people who don't fit in are people who don't want to fit in. Who go around complaining because life isn't fair. Who put rudeness and hostility out there, and expect friendliness and civility in return.

You don't have to hunt to live in Arkansas. You don't have to like country music. You don't have to root for the Razorbacks.

Arkansas is not urban. It has no urban centers. Little Rock is as close as you'll get to a big city, and it's not a big city. Northwest Arkansas has grown exponentially over the past three decades, and there are no big cities there. If you are accustomed or want the shopping venues of NYC, Chicago, LA or even Dallas, you won't find them here. If you're looking for a jacket or a pair of shoes, there are enough stores here to give you some choices. Just not as many in large urban areas. If you want to go out to eat someplace nice, there are options here, too. Even restaurants with gourmet chefs. But there won't be as many options as in large urban areas. Entertainment is plentiful. There is always something going on. There aren't as many big headliner concerts in Arkansas because there aren't as many people living here. Bottom line, a music star is going to perform where they have the best chance of selling-out the venue, and that means large population centers. But we get some great bands, some awesome performers, some fabulous shows nonetheless.

Arkansas is just like the rest of the country. There are brilliant people who live here, gifted writers, talented musicians, genius geeks. Just like anywhere else. And there are a troublemakers and racists and just plain unhappy people who live here, too. But most people are just average folks, just like the rest of the country, who work hard, who look forward to the weekends, who have favorite shows on TV, who have library cards, who want their kids to do well in school and to go on and have better lives. They worry about their bills, they probably spend too much on Christmas, they wish they could win the lottery, they go on vacation to ski in Colorado or to bask on sunny beaches. They eat the same foods as everyone else. I've never eaten squirrel, but I don't knock people who do, because I've tried lefsa. I've said no to blood sausage in Vermont. I once tried chocolate covered ants at a gourmet tasting in Minneapolis. Crunchy. I've tasted rattlesnake, but it was sold at a butcher, wrapped in celophane on a plastic foam tray. And it tasted a lot like chicken, only chewier. Octopus is too chewy, could barely swallow it.

Whenever I meet someone who's not friendly, I try a little harder. Smile a bit more, make a gentle joke or two. People come round. No matter where they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas