Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,337 times

Advertisements

Am a the only one tired of us Arkansans getting a really bad rap??

The more I travel the more I grow tired of people associating Arkansas with hillbillies.When I was a military wife and I moved to the West Coast as well as the Northeast I was actually asked if I knew how to read?! I have gone to college!

I continue to get asked how I felt about growing up on a farm. I grew up in Fayetteville for the most part! Although Northwest Arkansas is full of natural beauty- nowadays we are filled with more and more educated people.I think outsiders assume we have never been exposed to culture of any kind. This is not the case.

No offense to those of you who grew up on farms, as I know there are many rural areas here.BUT WHAT DOES IT TAKE FOR ARKANSAS TO BE SEEN AS SOMETHING OTHER THAN SOME BACKWOODS, RED HEADED STEPCHILD???? Do you think this can be chalked up to lack of other knowledge of this state or what?

Many of us are more civilized than we are given credit for and have seen much of the world, yet everywhere we go we are seen as simple hicks-what gives??! Sorry, but had to vent.

Last edited by NOEM1226; 03-01-2008 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: had to make another point

Old 03-01-2008, 08:36 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
When I flew into the airport at Fayetteville there were sheep at the end of the run way in a field.

Sorry but I couldn't resist. Its a Texas prejudice.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:41 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Am a the only one tired of us Arkansans getting a really bad rap??

The more I travel the more I grow tired of people associating Arkansas with hillbillies.When I was a military wife and I moved to the West Coast as well as the Northeast I was actually asked if I knew how to read?!

I continue to get asked how I felt about growing up on a farm. I grew up in Fayetteville for the most part! Although Northwest Arkansas is full of natural beauty- nowadays we are filled with more and more educated people.I think outsiders assume we have never been exposed to culture of any kind. This is not the case.

No offense to those of you who grew up on farms, as I know there are many rural areas here.BUT WHAT DOES IT TAKE FOR ARKANSAS TO BE SEEN AS SOMETHING OTHER THAN SOME BACKWOODS, RED HEADED STEPCHILD???? Do you think this can be chalked up to lack of other knowledge of this state or what?

Many of us are more civilized than we are given credit for and have seen much of the world, yet everywhere we go we are seen as simple hicks-what gives??! Sorry, but had to vent.

I totally agree with you. It does get quite annoying. I just look at it as pure, total, and utter STUPIDITY. Instead of us needing to get wise to the rest of the world, I would say the rest of the world needs to get wise to us.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I totally agree with you. It does get quite annoying. I just look at it as pure, total, and utter STUPIDITY. Instead of us needing to get wise to the rest of the world, I would say the rest of the world needs to get wise to us.
I think every area has something like that. For people from Boston, they are supposed to be rude. People from Texas are all supposed to ride horses everywhere they go and wear cowboy boots.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:24 PM

[quote=Lindsey_Mcfarren;3001704]When I flew into the airport at Fayetteville there were sheep at the end of the run way in a field.

Lindsey- You are so correct! The airport does not help the situation. At one time (don't know about now) there were a couple mobile homes along side the airport exit!Sheep and a trailer park.......What are we up against?? lol

Old 03-01-2008, 09:31 PM

Also when I lived in North Carolina there were so many "rednecks" and yet if I mention that state in conversation I get comments on it beaches and beauties- Not it's shortcomings as far as undereducated rural communities.Do not slam me NC- I loved living in your state but felt it was in many ways similar to life in Arkansas.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:37 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
Well Arkansas people aren't the only ones stereotyped. Since I'm from California everyone expects me to be a vegetarian, act like I'm better than everybody or rub elbows with celebs and party all the time. The complete opposite is true.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
I am sick of the Arkansas stereotypes as well. I have been asked many times when out of state if I wear shoes. In the General US forum, every thread that is negative about a city or state turns into a thread bashing "hillbilly Arkansas" and/or Little Rock. There are tons of rural areas in Arkansas where people live in trailers and have rusty cars in their yard, but thats rural areas in every state especially in the South, not just Arkansas. You don't see states like Texas and Georgia getting the same bad rap as Arkansas, yet their rural areas are very similar to rural Arkansas. Little Rock is also a nice city and the city as a whole doesn't fit the "Gang Wars Bangin in Little Rock" stereotype. There are parts that do, but every city has parts you want to avoid.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:22 PM

452 posts, read 1,640,391 times
Its because Arkansas has a small population. No big cities (often taken for no culture) and outside of Bill Clinton (and maybe Mike Huckabee) Arkansas has has very little influence on the US as a whole. It is a landlocked state, and it sometimes lacks identity as being either midwest, south, or west. Many of its settlers come from Tenessee/NC so its seen as sort of a wild west Appalachia. I suppose theres nothing most people can identify with Arkansas. Most of people in this country identify us as Little Rock and to me that doesnt say a whole lot lol. I completely agree with you in ur frustration.......Its ridiculous how we are thought of.....but get used to it, its the way it is.........it isnt gonna change any time soon

Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
Its because Arkansas has a small population. No big cities (often taken for no culture) and outside of Bill Clinton (and maybe Mike Huckabee) Arkansas has has very little influence on the US as a whole. It is a landlocked state, and it sometimes lacks identity as being either midwest, south, or west. Many of its settlers come from Tenessee/NC so its seen as sort of a wild west Appalachia. I suppose theres nothing most people can identify with Arkansas. Most of people in this country identify us as Little Rock and to me that doesnt say a whole lot lol. I completely agree with you in ur frustration.......Its ridiculous how we are thought of.....but get used to it, its the way it is.........it isnt gonna change any time soon
Iowa is a largely rural state and its largest city, Des Moines, is the same size as Little Rock and is viewed as a cool, modern city in its size class. I am not sure how rural Iowa and rural Arkansas stack up statistically, but Des Moines and Little Rock are statistically very similar in every way except for crime rate.

As for Mike Huckabee, I think he hurts the image of Arkansas more than helps it. His politics confirm the stereotype of Arkansas as being a ultra-religious, theocratic, gay-hating state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas