Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 04:12 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I suspect it is merely a meaningless symbolic gesture. Nothing more, nothing less.
You nailed it.
Similar to state bird, state fish, and even a food that some states call their " state food"

If bacon was very popular in an ag state , I suppose Jews would not like it if it became the "state food"

Old 03-11-2017, 05:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I currently live in Oklahoma, which is redder than Arkansas. Problem is states like Arkansas, Oklahoma, and various other Southern states are too rural and their more moderate urban populations are not large enough to counter the ultra-right wing, authoritarian rural vote i.e. those who want a strict theocracy. NWA might be somewhat moderate and secular, but Ft Smith, Paragould, Harrison, Star City, etc are not.

Also, Arkansas' blue past is almost irrelevant today. When Arkansas was blue, California was red. Around 2004 there was a great political sort along religious and cultural lines. Arkansas and Oklahoma are as red as ever today and probably will be for decades to come.

When it comes to different views, I draw the line when it goes against the Constitution. The First Amendment guarantees separation of church and state (though the Christian right will try to make the case that it doesn't). If ANY special interest group, whether it's the Baptist church or the leftist anti-gun crowd succeeds in dismantling the Bill of Rights, anything that's left of our rights in this country are gone.
I mostly agree with you, but i differ in a few issues yes, the constitution is what we should all live by but are we interpreting it differently than it was meant to be?what does separation of church and state really mean? The other thing I have to disagree with you on is when Ca turned around and AR? Yes, Ca had a R governor but it hasn't been really red for 30 plus years. AR has only been Red for a few years. Of course we all realize, or should this Red/Blue crap can change at anytime. I too do not want to see any special interest group control my state. I was raisned in California, we left in 1981 and I can't believe how the state has changed. I am sure there are many people in Ar that say the same thing.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:17 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I mostly agree with you, but i differ in a few issues yes, the constitution is what we should all live by but are we interpreting it differently than it was meant to be?what does separation of church and state really mean? The other thing I have to disagree with you on is when Ca turned around and AR? Yes, Ca had a R governor but it hasn't been really red for 30 plus years. AR has only been Red for a few years. Of course we all realize, or should this Red/Blue crap can change at anytime. I too do not want to see any special interest group control my state. I was raisned in California, we left in 1981 and I can't believe how the state has changed. I am sure there are many people in Ar that say the same thing.
Separation of church and state, in my opinion, means that the government and laws are supposed to be as neutral on religion as they can be. That doesn't mean that political leaders can't express their faith or that religion isn't allowed in the public square, but it does mean that laws can't be passed that serve the interest of a specific religious sect. Unfortunately in our country, we have not always done a good job at separating church and state and that is part of why we are in the mess we are in now.

As far as California, the last time it went red was 1988. The last time Arkansas went blue was 1996, so the AR change from blue to red wasn't that much later than the CA change from red to blue.

I really think the best states are purple, maybe leaning in one direction or the other. When a state becomes too red or too blue, the crazies get into power and its bad for everyone. That has happened in California with the Democrats and Oklahoma with the Republicans. Arkansas is a little more moderate than Oklahoma but it could very easily head in that direction.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:18 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I suspect it is merely a meaningless symbolic gesture. Nothing more, nothing less.
Exactly. That's why it silly. And nowadays there is too much of a risk of hurting someone's feelings by choosing something they don't like. Just forget about crap like that and get on with the business of running the states, getting the bills paid, balancing the budget, maintaining the roads, etc. That is what government's function should be, nothing else.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:43 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Why do they have to have a "state book"? That's silly.
LOL That's EXACTLY what I told my husband just now when I saw the title.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:00 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
katv.com/news/local/arkansas-panel-endorses-naming-bible-states-official-book

I wish they wouldn't do this. All it does is end up causing lawsuits that the state loses.
What will they endorse next, making the Book of Leviticus the state law code?

Christian Sharia, here we come!!!!

Old 03-12-2017, 05:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Separation of church and state, in my opinion, means that the government and laws are supposed to be as neutral on religion as they can be. That doesn't mean that political leaders can't express their faith or that religion isn't allowed in the public square, but it does mean that laws can't be passed that serve the interest of a specific religious sect. Unfortunately in our country, we have not always done a good job at separating church and state and that is part of why we are in the mess we are in now.

As far as California, the last time it went red was 1988. The last time Arkansas went blue was 1996, so the AR change from blue to red wasn't that much later than the CA change from red to blue.

I really think the best states are purple, maybe leaning in one direction or the other. When a state becomes too red or too blue, the crazies get into power and its bad for everyone. That has happened in California with the Democrats and Oklahoma with the Republicans. Arkansas is a little more moderate than Oklahoma but it could very easily head in that direction.
I guess to me, going red or blue is based on more than just the Pres. I look at it as states that are mainly controlled by red or blue. Which btw I think is a stupid way to look at things. Describing a state by color is relatively new and makes no sense. There is more to the way a state votes than just who they support for President. Actually the last time CA went red was when they elected Arnold. But that was a special election. They have had both parties as their governor for many years.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:16 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Who reads? Especially the Bible....

Old 03-12-2017, 06:51 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
There is no separation of church and state here in Baptistan (the Bible Belt). I've recently realized that it's pretty much a lost cause at this point. If you want freedom from religion and/or want to get away from a political system where the Baptist church rules everything with an iron fist, you have to move to a blue (or at least purple) state.
That's one thing I've learned by reading C-D posts.

I would have a really hard time living in the Bible belt. It amazes me that so many people there really believe that stuff.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:59 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
That's one thing I've learned by reading C-D posts.

I would have a really hard time living in the Bible belt. It amazes me that so many people there really believe that stuff.
I don't have a problem with what people read or believe. I'm neutral on that. Some people are raised in religious homes and some are not. Everyone is raised with different beliefs. What tends to bother me is the level of hypocrisy that sometimes comes with specific individuals who use their religion as a way to control and hurt others. That obviously isn't limited to Arkansas or the bible belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas