Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:18 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times

Advertisements

I'd like to propose an alternative choice for "Arkansas State Book":

"True Grit", by Arkansas native Charles Portis.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:03 PM

139 posts, read 137,054 times
Its Arkansas, you can't fix stupid.
I'm more concerned about the anti-transgender legislation. I'm glad Gov Hutchinson has spoke out against it although I suspect its because he saw what happened to the old governor of North Carolina lol.

Say are you the same pnumbers from Totse2 I'm sending you a PM

Old 03-12-2017, 08:05 PM

760 posts, read 768,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
katv.com/news/local/arkansas-panel-endorses-naming-bible-states-official-book

I wish they wouldn't do this. All it does is end up causing lawsuits that the state loses.
It directly violates the separation of church and state, it absolutely WILL be challenged in court and it will be found to be in violation, the state will pay a big legal bill plus.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You live in Northwest Arkansas which is the thriving and more progressive part of the state. What happens there isn't really all that representative of the rest of the state. That part of the state escaped whatever was going on elsewhere and didn't look back. Arkansas as a state has a lot to offer as a place to live and should be desireable. Something is holding it back. I blame state government. Unfortunately, Arkansas always makes the national news for things like this.
Of course you are right about where we live compared to much of AR but we do not make national news anymore than most states and this certainly isn't something that has made national news on the whole. DC saw it. Most of us have not and it certainly isn't something that has been decided. It was simply a panel giving their views and endorsement. Heck I could get together with a few of my friends and endorse a plan to make it required all kids learn to play bridge before graduation from high school. this doesn't mean it will be adopted. I have to wonder if you really know about the state?

Old 03-13-2017, 08:03 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course you are right about where we live compared to much of AR but we do not make national news anymore than most states and this certainly isn't something that has made national news on the whole. DC saw it. Most of us have not and it certainly isn't something that has been decided. It was simply a panel giving their views and endorsement. Heck I could get together with a few of my friends and endorse a plan to make it required all kids learn to play bridge before graduation from high school. this doesn't mean it will be adopted. I have to wonder if you really know about the state?
I grew up and lived there for over thirty years of my life. I still visit there and I occasionally get a little bit of the news. No. Arkansas is not the only state that has negative news, but it probably shows up on my radar more than some of the other states.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:07 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Who reads? Especially the Bible....
I read a lot....especially the Bible. But I still see no reason for states to waste time and taxpayer dollars debating over a "state book".

Old 03-13-2017, 01:58 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I read a lot....especially the Bible. But I still see no reason for states to waste time and taxpayer dollars debating over a "state book".
Agreed, there are a lot of important things that can be done to improve states, making a state book is not one of them. I've never heard of such thing.

However, I am almost done reading the Architecture of the Arkansas Ozarks by Donald Harrington. Great read from a local author.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Agreed, there are a lot of important things that can be done to improve states, making a state book is not one of them. I've never heard of such thing.

However, I am almost done reading the Architecture of the Arkansas Ozarks by Donald Harrington. Great read from a local author.
Agree with all of you on this: I have never heard of a State book and doubt this will become a reality. Some group decided this would be a good idea, somehow it made the news once. No one else has ever heard a work about it.. I think some people just like to get worked up about things. Let me add, I doubt anyone else in the country has heard anything about this or if they have, if they really care.
Now lets see if we can't concentrate on some real issues?

Old 03-18-2017, 01:16 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I agree with you. Unfortunately, the state government has taken Arkansas several steps back in the last twenty five years. Arkansas has some excellent authors and books that would specifically represent Arkansas. Some of those books would include references to the bible and it's place in Arkansas. Of course, John Grisham was born in Arkansas. He is probably the most famous author from there.
Or Maya Angelou, Charlaine Harris or Ellen Gilchrist. Perhaps a better law would be one that regularly highlighted Arkansas' authors and encourage people to read their books!

Old 03-18-2017, 03:06 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Or Maya Angelou, Charlaine Harris or Ellen Gilchrist. Perhaps a better law would be one that regularly highlighted Arkansas' authors and encourage people to read their books!
I don't know about a law. Back several years ago, there were some attempts in incorporate Arkansas books and authors into the school. I took 'Arkansas Authors' as an elective class in high school. Maybe that fizzled out???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas