Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:01 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,227,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sounds like a song that would be fun to hear, maybe even to sing after a few martinis or beers.

Here are The McCoys lip-synching it on "Shindig":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qnmgMZevg4

Old 03-20-2017, 03:08 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,346,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Are those very popular books in Arkansas?
If not, why would they even be considered?

Like naming a veggie burger as the state food of Arkansas.
They are religious texts that are no doubt held to be sacred by at least a few people in Arkansas. There are no Muslims in Arkansas? There are no Jews in Arkansas? This is a clear violation of the separation of church and state. I bet it would set off a crapstorm there if you even tried to honor them as co-state books along with the Bible! The right of people not to have another religion endorsed over their's by the state is valid even if they are not practioners of a popular religion. And we all know that this is an attempt by a few state officials to endorse Christianity...not merely a nod toward a popular book. If you want a state book, find something secular penned by an author from Arkansas. This is extremely transparent.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 03-20-2017 at 03:40 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
for heavens sake, can't you guys lighten up??/ No one is saying they want it to be the state book. OK, a couple of officials suggested it, that is all there is to it. Did I ever, even once mention anything about not separating church and state?
My comment was directed at the state officials who are calling for this and those who support that...not you personally.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:23 PM

23,940 posts, read 32,272,188 times
Quote:
do you know the words to the song?

Actually, I do. But then, my mind is a veritable catalog on random top 40 song lyrics from about the mid 60s though the 90s. I do not try to force "Hang On Sloopy" on out of staters, though.

The only time I hear it is when The Ohio State University marching band plays it.

Good song.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
It amazes me so many people who are non believers want to put those who believe down; have you even thought about it that way? I never question those who do not believe, that is their right and it does not make them good or bad, smart of dumb. The same for those of us who happen to believe in God. We come from all walks of life, from all over the world and it has nothing to do with our intelligence, how good we are or how bad. Let me also add, there are many people living here in AR. that are not believers or might believe but do not go to church. It really isn't that bad. At least many of us are not bigots, putting down people who think differently than others.
I have no problem with believers as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on others or set them up as the standard we all should follow. A great many...not all...but a great many seem to be very determined to get the government, particularly the schools, to endorse their belief system. They even consider it to be a form of oppression when they are thwarted from doing so. But with the internet, free speech, private religious schools, churches operating openly on every corner (and I support their right to all of these things) they have a vast array of means by which to get their message out and freely persuade others to adopt their worldview. They do not not need to use to to use the public schools and the government in general to force others to support their beliefs. As long as they do not try to do this, and are not preaching hate or intolerance towards those who believe differently, I have no problem with believers. And many of them, on the other hand, do harbor a strange and deep rooted antipathy toward atheists and agnostics. They seem to have been raised to believe that we eat babies and have no moral code. I never have understood that beleif.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 03-20-2017 at 03:37 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 04:48 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,017,493 times
Quote:
as has been mentioned, no one wants it to be the state book and there is no thing as a state book i do not think. btw: if you live in AR posting about this is one thing, if you don't what gives your the right to tell us what can and should or should not be done?
When the bible thumpers (not you in particular) stop trying to mix religion and politics - and using their religion as an excuse for hatred - I'll stop "telling them what should or should not be done" - and not a moment before that. And considering how many of those "religious" troublemakers want to make their religious views the law of the land, they have no right to complain when other people tell them to back down.

Nothing directed at you personally - my comments were meant for those who think the 1st Amendment only protects their religion and that "Christianity" should be focused on hatred of others who are different.

Last edited by Rambler123; 03-20-2017 at 04:56 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,974,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
When the bible thumpers (not you in particular) stop trying to mix religion and politics - and using their religion as an excuse for hatred - I'll stop "telling them what should or should not be done" - and not a moment before that. And considering how many of those "religious" troublemakers want to make their religious views the law of the land, they have no right to complain when other people tell them to back down.

Nothing directed at you personally - my comments were meant for those who think the 1st Amendment only protects their religion and that "Christianity" should be focused on hatred of others who are different.
I took your post to read............" any religion that does not endorse the homosexual lifestyle and condone gay marriage is a religion of hate "

Correct?

Old 03-20-2017, 06:31 PM

161 posts, read 167,065 times
Only a state like Arkansas could get away with doing something like this. Hence why they are doing it-- because they can. I can't imagine that happening where I live, but I know people who would love it if it did. And yet they see no constitutional violation because, like Ben Carson says, we were founded to be a Christian nation. Hell; these are the same people who want prayer back in public school. Certain types of Christians don't understand the simple fact that there is a separation between church and state. The idiocy of these people is astounding and perplexing.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:40 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,239,488 times
Quote:
do you know the words to the song?
I know all of the words to my state song folks all over the world know my state song! I don't know this for a fact, but I do believe Oklahoma has the most famous state song

Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,239,488 times
Speaking of books, when I was young our city library burnt to the ground, we lost both of our books, and one of them hadn't even been colored in yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas