Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 02:45 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
[/b]

Surely my point can't be this fleeting for you or anyone else.....but perhaps

For example, I've also lived in in ATLANTA. Do you think Atlanta is ahead or behind the rest of GEORGIA, or do you think it's indicative of the REST of Georgia?? (like Macon, or Rome, or Waycross? lol)
Do you think New York City is indicative or the rest of New York State (e.g. Rochseter, or Buffalo ?) if you do then you're terribly misinformed. Do you think New Orleans is indicative of the rest of Louisiana? Do you think Chicago is indicative of southern rural Illinois, say around Urbana ? My point should be very obvious. Most places outside of NYC are behind NYC. Most places outside of Chicago are behind Chicago in most respects. Most places outside of Paris are behind Paris.Easy stuff to comprehend I would think.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around all that. Best I can decipher is if a person prefers to live in a big city or a smaller town or out in the country. Thats the way I interpret it. But, I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 02:50 PM

226 posts, read 249,369 times
OH well.

Carry on. Believe, think, contend, or understand what you wish.

God Bless.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:17 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
I've lived in Little Rock. I've spent some time in NW Arkansas but not enough to know the ins and outs of the culture there. This is actually a tough decision. Little Rock feels more like a traditional big city and feels more "urban." I really like the feel Little Rock has in areas like Hillcrest and the Heights. Downtown is quite nice as well as is the riverfront area.

All of those aspects of Little Rock are things you won't find in NWA. NWA has pockets of urbanism in Fayetteville but for the most part feels quite suburban (though much of it is "nice" suburban). NW Arkansas, with its university presence and economic growth, is probably more of a magnet for millennials than Little Rock is. In fact Little Rock struggles in this area as it's a place that young professionals tend to move away from and not move to. Politically, Arkansas as a state is dark maroon red. NWA is reddish-purple and Little Rock is the only truly liberal place in the state. People I know who have lived in both tend to prefer NWA. While Little Rock, on the surface, appears more like a major city, it has a lot of problems like crime, sprawl, and economic inequality that you don't have to contend with in NWA. Weather is overall similar, but NWA is colder in the winter and drier in the summer. Little Rock is climatically similar to most of the Southeastern United States; subtropical and wet.

Personally, I would opt for Tulsa or Memphis over either of them (or better yet Dallas) but if I had to choose, I would probably go with Little Rock. It's by no means a slam dunk, but the riverfront, traditional "city" feel, and easy proximity to Memphis and the Southeastern United States tip the scale in favor of Little Rock for me.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:39 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times
Quote:
Personally, I would opt for Tulsa or Memphis over either of them (or better yet Dallas) but if I had to choose, I would probably go with Little Rock.
Memphis? Over NWA?

Blasphemy.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I've lived in Little Rock. I've spent some time in NW Arkansas but not enough to know the ins and outs of the culture there. This is actually a tough decision. Little Rock feels more like a traditional big city and feels more "urban." I really like the feel Little Rock has in areas like Hillcrest and the Heights. Downtown is quite nice as well as is the riverfront area.

All of those aspects of Little Rock are things you won't find in NWA. NWA has pockets of urbanism in Fayetteville but for the most part feels quite suburban (though much of it is "nice" suburban). NW Arkansas, with its university presence and economic growth, is probably more of a magnet for millennials than Little Rock is. In fact Little Rock struggles in this area as it's a place that young professionals tend to move away from and not move to. Politically, Arkansas as a state is dark maroon red. NWA is reddish-purple and Little Rock is the only truly liberal place in the state. People I know who have lived in both tend to prefer NWA. While Little Rock, on the surface, appears more like a major city, it has a lot of problems like crime, sprawl, and economic inequality that you don't have to contend with in NWA. Weather is overall similar, but NWA is colder in the winter and drier in the summer. Little Rock is climatically similar to most of the Southeastern United States; subtropical and wet.

Personally, I would opt for Tulsa or Memphis over either of them (or better yet Dallas) but if I had to choose, I would probably go with Little Rock. It's by no means a slam dunk, but the riverfront, traditional "city" feel, and easy proximity to Memphis and the Southeastern United States tip the scale in favor of Little Rock for me.
good post even if I would not agree with all you are saying. I would never choose Memphis over AR and we left Dallas mainly due to the horrible weather. We did some visiting and research on Tulsa, it is turning into a great city. We just didn't want to live in OK.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:15 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
I expect nothing.LOL.
God Bless. If you think I was 'insulting' anyone, then you're pretty thin-skinned to begin with. Amazing, but not unexpected given my experience having lived in Arkansas and the Midsouth.
You stated an untruth on a public forum where others, who have not experienced all the beauty and adventure that Arkansas offers, will read it and be influenced negatively....for nothing.

There is much to be found outside of Little Rock and NWA that is extremely worthwhile.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
[/b]Surely my point can't be this fleeting for you or anyone else.....but perhaps Yeah, we dumb rednecks have trouble with logic and stuff like that....

My point should be very obvious. Most places outside of NYC are behind NYC. Most places outside of Chicago are behind Chicago in most respects. Most places outside of Paris are behind Paris.Easy stuff to comprehend I would think. It all depends on your definition of "behind". Easy to comprehend, I would think.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:06 PM

226 posts, read 249,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post

Oh my, it you don't understand what it means for a city to be "behind" others or other regions, I can't help you. I guess it's like being stupid perhaps, in some respects.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:56 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Quote:
Oh my, it you don't understand what it means for a city to be "behind" others or other regions, I can't help you. I guess it's like being stupid perhaps, in some respects.
I know exactly what LuvArk means, did you need it explained in more detail? You don't have to be rude in your responses just because you aren't comprehending.

What some would refer to as "behind", others would think is better than the city areas. Many metro areas are advancing in ways that are going backwards. Some of us would rather be in areas you refer to as "behind". Behind doesn't always equal a negative.

Last edited by Hollynla; 04-25-2017 at 07:17 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I know exactly what LuvArk means, did you need it explained in more detail? You don't have to be rude in your responses just because you aren't comprehending.

What some would refer to as "behind", others would think is better than the city areas. Many metro areas are advancing in ways that are going backwards. Some of us would rather be in areas you refer to as "behind". Behind doesn't always equal a negative.
Bingo.

I saw his reply and just figured it wasn't worth replying to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas