Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 05:36 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
"Manned" gate? Oh, right. They may have 2 card gates but the main gate? Scores of cars just fly right on through there and the crime in HSV is way up now. Don't get me wrong; I LOVED living there , chiggers and all. I miss it but if you think you would feel all safe and secure with manned gates think again. And the card gates? They get vandalized. I mean, HSV is not The Vatican or Mar a Lago. Chiggers in abundance, attack wasps (not exaggerating) with nests in the ground--it's all worth it with the climate and really sweet people, deer everywhere and little white rabbits running across your yard. Very affordable, also.
Am I off topic?
No you are not off topic, you makes some good points. I can remember when we thought secure gates were truely secure and added to safety. Our daughter lives in a very upscale area in Florida with a gate keeper. She says even with that the gates don't really keep people out. Yes, they do some good and keep the crime down some bur the security thing is over rated.

As for chiggers, and wasps, HSV is just like here in BV. They are a pain, in more ways than one. It is a treade off we pay for having deer in our backyard, fox running around, plus every darling little 4 legged creature one can imagine. I will never get tired of watching the birds, all kinds and colors. We have a nest in one of our hanging plants right now. The 4 eggs just hatched Sat. We can barely peek in to see how they are doing. These are the wonders of living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 11:05 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,689,839 times
I've got chiggers and wasps here too, they don't scare me. lol That would not be a deciding factor for me in deciding whether to move to HSV.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I've got chiggers and wasps here too, they don't scare me. lol That would not be a deciding factor for me in deciding whether to move to HSV.
I totally agree with you. We make trade offs and to any poster that says it is easy to get rid of Chiggers they much not have lived with many. No matter what you do they are anything but easy to get rid or and for some their bite makes people miserable. I am not on good terms with chiggers, so they just ignore me, then there is hubby. They love him and show their love all the time. He does use deep or other sprays, but just walking to the mailbox they gang up on him. The wasp rarely attack him, but have a severe allergy to them, makes his scared to death. The wasp stray is never out of sight from June to Sept

We all, as you know live with creatures we would just as soon forget, but as I have said it is the trade off we make for living is such a beautiful place.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:33 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,957,404 times
No mosquitoes makes living in the Ozarks a whole lot better than other parts of Arkansas.

How are the mosquitos in HSV ?

Old 07-03-2017, 10:44 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,689,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
No mosquitoes makes living in the Ozarks a whole lot better than other parts of Arkansas.

Phooey, there are mosquitoes in the Ozarks, my mom used to have a cabin up there! Now, if you live on top of a mountain with no trees around where the wind blows all the time, maybe.

And don't forget those biting gnats! Gaaahh, at certain times of the year you needed one of those hats with a net to be able to work outside.

Bugs are everywhere. Aren't they? When people come to this forum and say they worry about moving to Arkansas because of bugs I wonder where they live that there are no bugs. Mars?

I will give the Ozarks this, though....no fire ants!

Yet.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Phooey, there are mosquitoes in the Ozarks, my mom used to have a cabin up there! Now, if you live on top of a mountain with no trees around where the wind blows all the time, maybe.

And don't forget those biting gnats! Gaaahh, at certain times of the year you needed one of those hats with a net to be able to work outside.

Bugs are everywhere. Aren't they? When people come to this forum and say they worry about moving to Arkansas because of bugs I wonder where they live that there are no bugs. Mars?

Yet.
We don't have them here in NWA (fire ants that is) either. They were horrible in Texas and pretty bad in NM. it

Old 07-04-2017, 07:33 AM

490 posts, read 1,254,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

I live on the east end and there is no mosquito problem at my house. We sit outside often in the evenings and after dark and have never been bitten.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:08 AM

I go for my walk bareback and never get any mosquitos.
My house has a tiny creek right behind the back porch and I sit out there with out spraying anything on me.

(no I don't live atop a mountain either )

Old 07-04-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Yet.

(1st paragraph)

Actually I live in a low spot on the road with woods all around me.

My huge wind chimes rarely make any sound in Summer because wind doesn't reach us.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:01 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,207,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestForkGrant View Post
It's an additional $30/month for the "No Liberal or Minority Neighbor" package
Is this the sentiment of most people in HSV ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas