Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 04:12 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeKing5 View Post
Support of gay rights, support of atheism, cultural diversity, lots of amenities, vegetarianism.
Oh. You forgot some: group think, shunning people who don't share your opinions, identity politics, open borders, weak on crime, spending more and more, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 07:51 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Chanel View Post
What I'm saying here is that Arkansas state government has become so bad that it is seriously interfering with business. The economy sucks and they just sort of don't know that it's their own fault. If you were not born and raised in Arkansas, I can no longer recommend attempting to do business there. Sad, but true. This is coming from someone who was invested there for a long time and did relatively well.

Business relies upon a sound, predictable legal system and Arkansas state government has just sort of gone off the alt right deep end, I guess. They do whatever they want, regardless of the constitution and no one says or does a thing about it. The press will not report on how backward the government has become. Maybe they don't remember how things used to be?

Is NW Arkansas still cool for retirees? I would say yes. Should you be fearful to move to NW Arkansas to take a job? Probably not. Pine Bluff has always been very dangerous and it remains so to this day. The big shocker to me is Little Rock. Used to be such a cool, fun little southern city that felt safe to me back in 2004. It's just horribly violent now. Can't leave your house without risking getting shot. Really.

I was last in Conway around 2014/2015 and it seemed fine-a friendly college town vibe. As far as I know, Eureka Springs is still cool.

If you are looking for a southern state to invest or do business, consider Texas, Tennessee or Alabama because Arkansas has become pretty hostile to outsiders attempting to do business there, in my opinion. Back in 2006, it was COMPLETELY different. Not sure what happened and not sure if the natives realize what a hostile vibe they are giving off.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you said here. Northwest Arkansas is an exception. Unfortunately, Arkansas state government runs the state like a third world country. Little Rock is pretty bad.

Some of your other comments are perplexing. I'm not sure I would equate Arkansas and anti-semitism. It's not really a topic that has ever come up in any conversation I have had there or anywhere else. I have never heard a discussion one way or another. It's only a discussion I've seen on tv.

"The local Arkansas press seems to me to be like a lot of southerners, even myself. They are too NICE. They need to grow some male private parts and start tackling the staggering corruption, especially in Little Rock.

I strongly suspect that another problem with the reporters in Arkansas is the ownership of the media. The owners of the media are either a part of the corruption or they are just too good friends with those who are responsible for the corruption in the state. No one wants to snitch on their friend that they grew up with in Arkansas. They need to grow some male private parts and start doing some real INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM.

Outsiders that might want to move to Arkansas need to know that Arkansas isn't a place that tolerates BS and corruption. They FIGHT it!"

Snitches get stitches. They fight when they can.

"No, what I said was neo Nazism is rising in Arkansas, likely due to the despair of young men who have no jobs, no money, no opportunities, etc. Since NW Arkansas is a popular retirement destination, Jewish people considering retiring in Arkansas have a right to know it might not be as safe as it appears to be.

Neo Nazism is one of many reasons people might choose to leave the state."

Those people are outliers and are not representative of anyone, but themselves. They are avoided by a majority of people and are in no way mainstream.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:33 AM

30 posts, read 18,275 times
Wait for it.

Back in the day, only 10-15 years ago, Little Rock was a lovely, relatively safe city. I felt very safe and welcomed there as a single woman and law student. Today it's sort of a war zone. It's slowly transforming into Pine Bluff which has always been a dangerous city.

NW Arkansas will wind up like Pine Bluff and Little Rock unless Arkansans stop accepting the way things are.

That's right, snitches get stiches, but at least they can live with themselves.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:41 AM

30 posts, read 18,275 times
I moved to Arkansas in 2003 to complete my last year of law school and I lived in the Chenal area of Little Rock. It was AWESOME. I felt safe, liked, and WANTED as a single female businesswoman/law student. Moved to Austin in 2004. Moved back to Little Rock in 2014 because I felt my personal presence was necessary to get my building in NW Arkansas leased up. Moved away again in 2015.

Sadly, I'll NEVER go back to Arkansas. The culture has changed in some pretty negative ways and I don't think the locals are that aware. You notice things when you move away and then come back. Back in the day, I did notice the occasional sexism, but it wasn't a culture of sexism. I'd say 95% of the men I dealt with were quite "gentlemanly", which I know is a weird word to use, but it fits the best.

The Washington Post wrote an article based upon a study which determined that Arkansas is now the most sexist state in the nation. Sadly, I agree. Do I know how that happened? No. But, having moved away and then moved back, it does now seem to have sort of an oppressive culture of sexism.

In my opinion, the culture of sexism will eventually negatively impact business in the state. But again, it's difficult to pick up on the negative traits of a culture in which you are immersed. It is SUBTLE. They used to be gentlemanly, now they are sexist.

There are two types of people who leave Arkansas or desire to leave Arkansas. Some people realize how awful and UNJUST Arkansas can be, but they cannot afford to leave. MOST people, honestly, cannot imagine leaving Arkansas. They have sort of a weird delusion that it's just Nirvana-heaven on earth. They were born and raised there as were all of their friends and family and they just cannot imagine ever living anywhere else. Are these nice, good people? Yes. Those most likely to leave are recent college graduates.

I'll never be back to Arkansas and I don't think that I'm the only business person who feels this way. It's unjust and somewhat hostile to women but most people think it's ****** dorey. The state business and government leaders need diversity training and they need to take it VERY seriously. Then, business will improve. Women, blacks, and other minorities are JUST as deserving of justice as white men. THAT is where Arkansas is stuck.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Chanel View Post
Wait for it.

Back in the day, only 10-15 years ago, Little Rock was a lovely, relatively safe city. I felt very safe and welcomed there as a single woman and law student. Today it's sort of a war zone. It's slowly transforming into Pine Bluff which has always been a dangerous city.

NW Arkansas will wind up like Pine Bluff and Little Rock unless Arkansans stop accepting the way things are.

That's right, snitches get stiches, but at least they can live with themselves.
Holy crap what are you talking about and why do you have to keep bringing up how you have so many business interests in the state and you are a lawyer. Does that make you feel special?

No, NWA is not going to be another Pine Bluff, certainly not in any of our life times. Little Rock hasn't been particularly safe for many years, certainly not 10 years ago. That doesn't mean it isn't a good city, it is just typical of metro cities, anywhere. Oh and let me inform you, no, Pine Bluff has not always been a dangerous city. I have friends who's family moved from Pine Bluff to So. CA in the early 1950s. They moved for better weather and better opportunities but not because of safety.

For the most part what you are saying is simply based on your left wing leanings and makes almost no sense.

You mention that one poster should get a hobby, well obviously you have one: it is filled with biased opinions and postings that make no sense what so ever. I have to wonder how much travel you have done and if you have lived and experienced life in many other places? Or of course, maybe you are a TROLL?

Last edited by nmnita; 12-08-2018 at 05:23 AM..

Old 12-08-2018, 07:13 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
First of all, the AR forum regulars should just stop responding to this person because that’s fueling their fire. Second, if they don’t stop with this incoherent, baseless, pointless babbling I will alert the senior mod to look into the situation. They’re used to hearing from me because of the amount of trolls this forum seems to attract.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:01 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
First of all, the AR forum regulars should just stop responding to this person because that’s fueling their fire. Second, if they don’t stop with this incoherent, baseless, pointless babbling I will alert the senior mod to look into the situation. They’re used to hearing from me because of the amount of trolls this forum seems to attract.
I'm not sure she is a troll. Sounds like someone who maybe wasn't a good fit for the area and then got to experience some culture shock.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:04 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Coco Chenal's comments seem about as legitimate as anyone else's.
Honestly, the guy a while back asking about Pine Bluff didn't strike me as a troll at first either. A bit awkward maybe, but not a troll. I think the reactionary backlash probably pushed him in that direction more than anything.
I see no need to silence someone just because they have a complaint about Arkansas. The state has lagged behind at least 40 other states in almost all categories for as long as anyone can remember. That doesn't make it the worst place in the world (it's still America), and many people think it's the best for them. Good.
However, it explains why so many have left Arkansas over the years. Growth in the modern era is a somewhat new phenomenon fueled by retirees looking for an alternative and people escaping more expensive places. The job market is okay, but you have to be selective about where you live and/or what your profession is. It's like that in a lot of places though.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:10 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Coco Chenal's comments seem about as legitimate as anyone else's.
Honestly, the guy a while back asking about Pine Bluff didn't strike me as a troll at first either. A bit awkward maybe, but not a troll. I think the reactionary backlash probably pushed him in that direction more than anything.
I see no need to silence someone just because they have a complaint about Arkansas. The state has lagged behind at least 40 other states in almost all categories for as long as anyone can remember. That doesn't make it the worst place in the world (it's still America), and many people think it's the best for them. Good.
However, it explains why so many have left Arkansas over the years. Growth in the modern era is a somewhat new phenomenon fueled by retirees looking for an alternative and people escaping more expensive places. The job market is okay, but you have to be selective about where you live and/or what your profession is. It's like that in a lot of places though.
The Pine Bluff guy was definitely a troll with over a dozen accounts. He used google maps to identify specifics. He did things like this on many other forums, mostly to stir trouble or just give himself something to do. He then came back with numerous other attempts to stir things. Mods caught it and deleted his accounts. I have no doubt he will be back, if he isn't already.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:13 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm not sure she is a troll. Sounds like someone who maybe wasn't a good fit for the area and then got to experience some culture shock.
Claiming that most people are leaving the state due to the nazis is more than just "not a good fit". The poster has posted no other topics on city data except to come here and make these bizarre claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas