Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 13,141 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in Atlanta, and I have for all of my life. My fiance' and I are looking to make a new start somewhere else. I have been doing a little research and several cities on Arkansas pop up. If anyone can give us any advice on a great place for a new couple, please help us. We are 25 & 35, no children. Not only Arkansas, but any place that is great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 06:38 PM

264 posts, read 1,150,994 times
Although I personally do not like it (Only because of its location and midwest feel), Northwest AR seems to be the place to be. Fayetteville is said to be one of the best places to start a business and one of the most livable cities in the Nation. And the area is growing very fast. If I were in your shoes, I would choose NW AR- look into it.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
I don't like NWA either, as it is too suburban and sprawl oriented for me, but it is the place to be in Arkansas right now. If you are wanting out of Atlanta, you are probably wanting some place more rural but with an easy commute to work or city conveniences. NW Arkansas might suit you well. Also check out the Little Rock suburbs. Benton/Bryant, Maumelle, and Conway are very popular for families.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:42 PM

395 posts, read 1,363,464 times
I would suggest NWA. Maybe Fayetteville,or Springdale. I was born and raised in Springdale. I suggest these because I do not care much for the rest of the state...Other then that general area..Maybe Conway.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:51 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,025 times
NWA would be an excellent choice, growing fast, good job opportunities, in the most beautiful part of the state IMO(in the beautiful Ozark Mountains), and if you are trying to escape the crime of Atlanta, NWA will definatly be a relief, whereas areas like little rock, with high crime, will not feel as safe and laid back. Of course if you are looking for a metropolitan, urban feeling city, don't look for it in Arkansas lol. And i read this earlier so i thought i'd comment, I do not think Fayetteville or the rest of NWA feels midwestern at all. It is definatly in the South lol, and you will feel it, which IMO is not a bad thing at all!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:07 AM

369 posts, read 1,301,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
NWA would be an excellent choice, growing fast, good job opportunities, in the most beautiful part of the state IMO(in the beautiful Ozark Mountains), and if you are trying to escape the crime of Atlanta, NWA will definatly be a relief, whereas areas like little rock, with high crime, will not feel as safe and laid back. Of course if you are looking for a metropolitan, urban feeling city, don't look for it in Arkansas lol. And i read this earlier so i thought i'd comment, I do not think Fayetteville or the rest of NWA feels midwestern at all. It is definatly in the South lol, and you will feel it, which IMO is not a bad thing at all!
Fayetteville, Arkansas will not feel "southern" at all for a person coming from Atlanta...trust me...

Old 03-16-2008, 07:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
We haven't move there yet, but on visits the thing we liked the most about NWA was, like someone mentioned, it is still rural but within a few minutes of all the things people in the city like, good hospitals, dining, shopping, etc. Right now we live in what is really rural (well not as much as some) we have no hospital, and few doctors, our town consists of a super Wal-Mart but no other real grocery store. We have no place to shop for clothing (thank you for the internet) and the schools are bad, not to mention few jobs. Yes, we are only 45 minutes or so from Albuquerque, but even 45 minutes gets pretty tiring after awhile. We thought this would be the best life in the world, we now realize we need something with a little more of a combination between city and country. That is what we think we have found in NWA.

Nita

Old 03-16-2008, 07:26 AM

It is southern, there is no reason to debate this lol, its just not "Deep South", but it certainly isn't midwestern. As a matter of fact it may feel southern to someone from Atlanta lol, because it is big enough and has so many transplants that from what i've heard from locals, Atlanta doesn't feel extremely southern anymore.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:41 PM

564 posts, read 2,340,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
It is southern, there is no reason to debate this lol, its just not "Deep South", but it certainly isn't midwestern. As a matter of fact it may feel southern to someone from Atlanta lol, because it is big enough and has so many transplants that from what i've heard from locals, Atlanta doesn't feel extremely southern anymore.
There is a reason to debate it. Everywhere in that town you go you hear almost nothing but yankee accents.

That's not Southern. End of story. When you're that close to Missouri and Kansas, you're not Southern.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:59 PM

I'm sorry, but you're sadly mistaken. Where are you from, where did you grow up, and where do you live now? For those of us from NWA, we know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas