Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
When I was growing up in Massachusetts as a kid, we would sometimes have fresh mussels. My grandmother always warned not to try to eat the mussels in shells that wouldn't open, those mussels were no good. When my grandmother would freeze mussels, she only froze them after they'd been cooked. She said you couldn't freeze mussels that were uncooked, freezing them would destroy them. She was a great cook, I always took her word for it, but I never researched it.
Good to know. On the other hand we have gotten them frozen many times. In fact I get them frozen, in the shell all the time from Aldi's. And yes, if not opened they are supposed to be no good. We always toss unopened ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Good to know. On the other hand we have gotten them frozen many times. In fact I get them frozen, in the shell all the time from Aldi's. And yes, if not opened they are supposed to be no good. We always toss unopened ones.

The commercial freezing process for seafood is different (much faster, much colder) than what someone can do at home. Different deal.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
I've never gotten them frozen. But my understanding has been that they've been steamed before being frozen. Of course, with today's technology, that may not be necessary. I'm sorry the fish market disappointed you.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:16 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
...When my grandmother would freeze mussels, she only froze them after they'd been cooked. She said you couldn't freeze mussels that were uncooked, freezing them would destroy them. She was a great cook, I always took her word for it, but I never researched it.
Quote:
I am not really versed on muscles, but one thing caught my attention.

I could see a concern that freezing raw muscles might injure the flavor,
I could even see a concern that they might open before they were cooked,
but the idea: freezing them would make the meat would disappear?

Old 10-27-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I've never gotten them frozen. But my understanding has been that they've been steamed before being frozen. Of course, with today's technology, that may not be necessary. I'm sorry the fish market disappointed you.
I guess you could be right. I never thought about that, but I do know my dad used to bring them home after a fishing day, well not quite fishing I guess and we did freeze them. If I ever get them fresh again, I will steam them first. I will add, the worst part of all this was the young man's lack of understanding what I was saying and the attitude of the market. And I still find it hard to believe the meat would just disappear when the mussels were frozen, whether cooked or not.I can understand the possibility the meat could be damaged or extra rough. At least I do like the Sam's fish dept. So I can still get my fresh/of fresh frozen fish when I want to. I have also noticed the fish market isn't busy at all these days. I am sure we all including the owners knew the mad house of the first few months would die down, but it is so dead it could well be buried and we were there about lunch time.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I guess you could be right. I never thought about that, but I do know my dad used to bring them home after a fishing day, well not quite fishing I guess and we did freeze them. If I ever get them fresh again, I will steam them first. I will add, the worst part of all this was the young man's lack of understanding what I was saying and the attitude of the market. And I still find it hard to believe the meat would just disappear when the mussels were frozen, whether cooked or not.I can understand the possibility the meat could be damaged or extra rough. At least I do like the Sam's fish dept. So I can still get my fresh/of fresh frozen fish when I want to. I have also noticed the fish market isn't busy at all these days. I am sure we all including the owners knew the mad house of the first few months would die down, but it is so dead it could well be buried and we were there about lunch time.
What day of the week? I generally can only get there on weekends, and I've learned that if you want a good selection you have to get there early, very early. But if it's slow during the week, I'll play with my schedule and see if I can get there one day. My father's birthday is coming up, and he LOVES seafood.

With the colder weather this weekend, I'm thinking of making a batch of Polish mushroom soup, and freezing it. A seafood chowder with mussels would be good, too.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:35 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Quote:
This happens to be a very pricey upscale fresh seafood market, that started out like gang busters because we have so many people in our region from all over the world. As for freezing muscles and clams, I have gotten them frozen many times from many grocery stores, or froze them afterwards.

Oh, you are right about the local seafood except we don't really raise much crawfish unless you live in the most southern part of the state. We live on the MO/Kansas, Ar border.
With jet-powered airfreight and refrigerated trucks on interstate highways, as well as shipboard flash-freezing, I guess locale doesn't matter quite as much as it used to. I know I've eaten plenty of crabs that were shipped to Baltimore from the Gulf because the Chesapeake Bay just couldn't keep up with the local demand.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
What day of the week? I generally can only get there on weekends, and I've learned that if you want a good selection you have to get there early, very early. But if it's slow during the week, I'll play with my schedule and see if I can get there one day. My father's birthday is coming up, and he LOVES seafood.

With the colder weather this weekend, I'm thinking of making a batch of Polish mushroom soup, and freezing it. A seafood chowder with mussels would be good, too.
yum, you are making me hungry. We are having a pasta dish tonight with Shrimp (yes from Blu fish) SAlmon (yes from Blu fish) and scallops from I don't remember where.

The last 2 times we have been to Blu fish has been on Thursdays. They had lots of fresh fish both times. Too bad we had such a negative experience. I will also add the same guy who I spoke with yesterday waited on us 2 weeks ago and I wasn't impressed that time either. If I could get an email address for the place I would send them a message explaining what happened. Oh well, it's over. I think I was told, as for fish deliveries they come in on Thurs and Mondays. I could be wrong.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
yum, you are making me hungry. We are having a pasta dish tonight with Shrimp (yes from Blu fish) SAlmon (yes from Blu fish) and scallops from I don't remember where.

The last 2 times we have been to Blu fish has been on Thursdays. They had lots of fresh fish both times. Too bad we had such a negative experience. I will also add the same guy who I spoke with yesterday waited on us 2 weeks ago and I wasn't impressed that time either. If I could get an email address for the place I would send them a message explaining what happened. Oh well, it's over. I think I was told, as for fish deliveries they come in on Thurs and Mondays. I could be wrong.
Thank you for the info. They do have a contact page from their website where you can send them a message.

https://blubentonville.com/contact/

Old 10-28-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the info. They do have a contact page from their website where you can send them a message.

https://blubentonville.com/contact/
thanks, I was probably looking at the wrong website. I think I will give it a try in the next day or so: probably this morning. If I get a response I will post it or at least let everyone know what was said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: