Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 12:14 AM

12 posts, read 12,561 times

Advertisements

I used to see these people same ones day in and out in Florida begging for money. But nothing like NWA. every street corner seems to have someone with a cardboard sign asking for money. I saw an article where one man was arrested for something and they found his take for the day was a couple hundred dollars. I know a lot of them use it for drugs and booze but I have also heard many make a good living. But still I have never seen so many. What is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightswhosaynei View Post
I used to see these people same ones day in and out in Florida begging for money. But nothing like NWA. every street corner seems to have someone with a cardboard sign asking for money. I saw an article where one man was arrested for something and they found his take for the day was a couple hundred dollars. I know a lot of them use it for drugs and booze but I have also heard many make a good living. But still I have never seen so many. What is going on?
why did you bother to post the same topic twice, especially when it isn't even true? Sure you see a few, as you come off the interstate mainly, and sure they use the money or some do, for drugs and booze. What is new about that, but the fact still remains, we have almost none here. Can you tell us exactly where you are seeing all the so called panhandlers? Or maybe,like the last time you were asked this, you have chosen not to answer?

Old 10-30-2017, 06:50 AM

12 posts, read 12,561 times
Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale ect. There was a piece on it in the local news. Rogers has a law saying you need a lisc. to solicit money but it is not enforced.http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/spec...nsas/704177642
http://5newsonline.com/2017/01/17/dr...er-valley-nwa/
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2...more-panhandl/

Old 10-30-2017, 07:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Every corner equals standing on the corners where the interstate exits, and at the entrances/exits of Wal-Mart. 2 areas.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Every corner equals standing on the corners where the interstate exits, and at the entrances/exits of Wal-Mart. 2 areas.
I have only seen a few: one at the entrance of WalMart in Jane, and one at 86. He has been there for years and says hi to almost everyone that stops for the light. Someone said, they asked him why he doesn't get a job and he was honest enough to say, he makes ore money this way. I don't know about Fayettevile as we are rarely in the area. I think the op is just taking things out of context and what his agenda is, I don't have a clue. One week he says he is thinking of moving here, 10 days later he says he lives here. That was a fast move if you ask me.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:55 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,647,965 times
We always have one at the local Wal Mart red light in Harrison. What's ironic is that there are many stores hiring nearby. I guess they do make more standing on a corner. I hate it when I see them have a dog with them. I feel more compelled to help the dog.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
We always have one at the local Wal Mart red light in Harrison. What's ironic is that there are many stores hiring nearby. I guess they do make more standing on a corner. I hate it when I see them have a dog with them. I feel more compelled to help the dog.
I know what you mean. Fortunately the few we see do not have dogs with them. We saw a lot more living in NM and yes, they would sometimes have a dog with them. I don't know what it is about Walmart, but the store seems to be a perfect spot for pan handlers to hang out. Maybe it is because so many people shop Walmart the panhandlers will get more attention. I just drive by and don't even look back.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:48 PM

510 posts, read 370,493 times
Walmart practically owns NW Arkansas & think they prefer to offer part time min. wage w/no health benefits.

Quote:

Old 11-11-2017, 08:54 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,647,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
Walmart practically owns NW Arkansas & think they prefer to offer part time min. wage w/no health benefits.
You'd be completely wrong then.

I have a couple of family members who work there. One had no skills beyond cashier and started out at $13.50/hourly. Their benefits package is very good (and yes, that includes health insurance) and they get nice yearly bonuses and store discounts along with other perks.

People love to hate on Walmart because they are ignorant. I know other people who work for Walmart stores in other states and none of them started at minimum wage.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:02 AM

383 posts, read 399,415 times
Pan handlers are everywhere now. Read the stories about Hawaii's problem with street people. Jobs are available if folks want to work. But why should they when our elite government has made it possible to earn a living wage on "the dole". Pan handling is a bonus. The drug problem has aggravated the issue of pan handling as well as home break-ins.

If you want to find those really struggling, you need to look beyond those standing at the major traffic points. You need to be involved in your community. That is where you can find those in need of help.

Offer a pan handler a ride to a shelter or a meal in the local restaurant and see what their response is. Try it. If they say yes, you may learn something. Odds are they will say no.

The warmer the climate, the bigger the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas