Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 AM

292 posts, read 1,308,046 times

Advertisements

Bayoukid, an easier (relatively speaking!) way to get to Oark than from Turner Bend, which is on Hwy. 23 above Ozark (which is on I-40), is to go up Hwy. 103 (at least that's what my map labels it, but it's kinda old....gotta get a new one) out of Clarksville, which goes straight (again, relatively speaking, lol) to Oark and then right on past Oark to Catalpa. That drive is also beautiful! That Hwy. 215, which connects 23 to 103, is one of the most beautiful drives in the state, I think. Not a lot of wide vistas, but up-close views of the Mulberry, bluffs, wildflowers (which you can take time to stop and smell, because there is very little traffic), a couple of pull-off spots to campgrounds, river access points, small waterfalls, etc.

Do you have one of those "Arkansas Atlas and Gazetteer" maps? Everyone who loves backroads should have one of those. They're easy to find on the internet. Also, do you have any of Tim Ernst's guides? We have the waterfall one, and it has helped us find many places that are hard to find without knowing exactly where you're going. My husband, son, and brother found the "Glory Hole" last fall and it was amazing. I tried to insert a picture they took, but I couldn't figure out how. Can someone tell me how? It's stored on my computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Arkansas Outdoorsmen?!?-top-glory-hole.jpgI've got a picture of the Glory Hole (I didn't take it) as part of my screensaver line-up. I'll see if I can attach it.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:14 PM

I have one taken below it....it's awesome....I just can't figure out how to get it in here!

Old 03-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Well, heck, here's a link to a picture of the Glory Hole online....I don't have time to try to figure out how to get my picture in here.

about a 35 foot waterfall pictures from arkansas photos on webshots

Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,037 times
We will be bringing about 20 people on our float, it is a group that gets together every year. Usually we float the James River at Galena, MO. This year we're doing something different. We have reserved the Buffalo Lodge near Kyle's Landing. We hope to float from Ponca to Kyle's Landing, water level permitting. I am afraid an outfitter near Hwy. 14 will be too far away for our needs. Do you know anything about the Buffalo Outdoor Center at Ponca? We will not be fishing on this trip. Does the Buffalo have any good places to stop for a while, such as gravel bars? I understand it tends to be rather cool water, is it too chilly to swim comfortably? I have wanted to float this river for years and am excited to finally get the chance.

Here is another good link for water levels, with several in Missouri if you are interested. I also use the book "A Canoing & Kayaking Guide to the Ozarks" as a reference to help plan our trips.

Ozark Mountain Paddlers-River Levels (http://www.ozarkmtnpaddlers.org/riverlevels.php - broken link)

Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Hi y'all, just got back from the cabin! The water is running beautifully. Watched a video of the flooding of the Mulberry (taken on 3-18-08) on YouTube before we left and was a little concerned, but the cabin was fine. Found many beautiful waterfalls, but the water went down a little every day while we were there....still nice when we left, though. People were canoeing the Mulberrry and the Buffalo. The Buffalo was right up to the bottom of the low water bridge at Ponca....maybe an inch of space showing at the top where it goes under the bridge. Saw a huge herd of elk and a flock of wild turkeys. The redbuds and forsythias and those little wild plum trees (both pink and white....Tim Ernst calls the white ones "popcorn trees") were blooming. Forsythias just glow in Arkansas...they don't do as well in La., guess because of the heat. It was cool in the day and pretty chilly at night. Just right for hiking and climbing around. Went to one of our favorite waterfalls called Twin Falls. It was running well. We also hiked the Lost Valley hiking trail (one of the best in Arkansas, IMO!) and saw Eden Falls running for the first time (I mean we saw it running for the first time, not that it was the first time it has ever run!). I'm telling you, that trail is really something. There is one spot where the water has cut a hole in some large rocks, and water is also pouring in from the mountainside....we went up under there and just listened to the roar and saw some little miniature cave formations that were in the process of being made....there were several deep (probably 10 feet at least), blue-green pools along the way....if only it would be like that in summer when you're blazing hot...you could just fall in them! That was the most beautiful I've ever seen the Lost Valley trail! Little wildflowers everywhere....people, get out there, time's a-wastin'!!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
Bayoukid, an easier (relatively speaking!) way to get to Oark than from Turner Bend, which is on Hwy. 23 above Ozark (which is on I-40), is to go up Hwy. 103 (at least that's what my map labels it, but it's kinda old....gotta get a new one) out of Clarksville, which goes straight (again, relatively speaking, lol) to Oark and then right on past Oark to Catalpa. That drive is also beautiful! That Hwy. 215, which connects 23 to 103, is one of the most beautiful drives in the state, I think. Not a lot of wide vistas, but up-close views of the Mulberry, bluffs, wildflowers (which you can take time to stop and smell, because there is very little traffic), a couple of pull-off spots to campgrounds, river access points, small waterfalls, etc.

Do you have one of those "Arkansas Atlas and Gazetteer" maps? Everyone who loves backroads should have one of those. They're easy to find on the internet. Also, do you have any of Tim Ernst's guides? We have the waterfall one, and it has helped us find many places that are hard to find without knowing exactly where you're going. My husband, son, and brother found the "Glory Hole" last fall and it was amazing. I tried to insert a picture they took, but I couldn't figure out how. Can someone tell me how? It's stored on my computer.
Where can i get 1 of the "Akansas Atlas and Gazetteer maps?

Old 03-26-2008, 04:04 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
Have you seen any topo maps? They show all the back roads and lots of other thing that a street map wont have. I have seen some of these maps at WalMart.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count.

Yes, they have them at Wal-Mart. I also saw one in the Pilot store on I-40 in Russellville on the way home the other day. They have 19.95 written on the back, but they are probably less than that at Wal-Mart. They can also be ordered online....just do a Google search. There a couple on eBay right now....they come out to be 2 or 3 dollars cheaper than 199.95, but it's probably best to just get one at Wal-Mart. 2004 is the latest edition. They also have topography on them, which may be what the other poster is referring to.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 12,797 times
We are planning a canoe trip down the Buffalo real soon, but we are planning to take the whole extended family. Any ideas on cabins that accommodate up to 11? We love the Ponca/Jasper area.

Also, all of you nature lovers check out my husbands site, [url=http://www.mooremonkeys.com]mooremonkeys' adventures[/url]. Just about every I have heard discussed is on his site. He LOVES the outdoors!! I think you will enjoy his site. If you see a place you like shoot him an email for directions, but I think he put directions to most places right on the page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas