Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Me, too - Storm, you forgot the most important part...undertheironsea is sensitive...

How can a soccer fan who grew up in rural MS and now lives in Russellville be all THAT sensitive?? I'd think it takes a pretty thick skin to be a soccer fan in some of those situations.

More to the topic, I looked at starting pay for teachers in AR a couple of years ago and I did see that NWA was considerably higher than the rest of the state except for LR. I don't have a link or a precise figure though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 10:20 AM

66 posts, read 157,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
is there a link that states starting teachers make $43,000 in NWA?

In St Cloud MN-------higher cost of living and higher wages across the board------starting teachers make about $31,000.

Is that --$43,000 -- wage for starting teachers in NWA accurate ?
A starting teacher with a Bachelor's will start at around $45,00 at the high school level in the western burbs of Chicago. Of course, we have a much higher cost of living than in Arkansas.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:40 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
wages in Chicago to wages in Alabana is apples to oranges

Old 03-21-2008, 06:26 PM

564 posts, read 2,340,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Me, too - Storm, you forgot the most important part...undertheironsea is sensitive...
Only slightly.

Only slightly.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:26 PM

66 posts, read 157,150 times
Quote:
wages in Chicago to wages in Alabana is apples to oranges
To a certain extent - according to the retirement indexes that I have seen, Chicago has about a 20% cost of living difference from Arkansas. Now if you are making 40-50% more as a teacher in Chicago than in Arkansas, you will have more buying power.

Another factor that should be considered when looking at teaching salaries is the top end of the salary schedule. I know some districts that will have high starting salaries but limit the amount that you will make at the top end of the scale. Schools, in my experience, that don't compensate experienced teachers well have a tendency to have younger staffs who get their experience at these districts but then leave for more lucrative employment (and take their experience with them).

This, of course, applies to primarily urban and suburban school systems - rural areas will be different.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 PM

20 posts, read 73,577 times
Quote:

Is that --$43,000 -- wage for starting teachers in NWA accurate ?
Yes this is par for NWA in the big 4 (4 of the largest school districts in Arkansas). Our population is growing so fast that we can't keep up. More and more new schools are opening each year. Education is really important in our area, and pay scales have increased 10-15k in the last 8 years or so. Private schools and smaller towns will have a starting rate slightly smaller, but the big 4 compete for premium teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas