Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
improved as cleaning up the gangs. no.. but tearing down old houses then yea.
thanks, I think that is pretty much what I have heard: they have cleaned it up some. But that I don't mean cleaned up the gangs, just some neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 10:59 AM

183 posts, read 243,246 times
Default Name-Calling Doesn't Answer My Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
1Patois,
I had come to the conclusion you must be trolling. You seem very educated on many areas of the country and are very opinionated on those areas, so it would not make sense that you would invest in property in Pine Bluff and not understand where you bought. It's as if you just wanted to see what the reactions would be of those in AR.
I can assure you that I am NOT a troll and am capable to demonstrate this. I have knowledge of SOME areas of the country because I went to 5 high schools, did middle school in two separate states, and have made my own choice to live in different areas for college as a young adult. I "understand" where I bought...The question is truly WHY you feel the need to brand me a troll before making an effort to understand that I did research and still had questions that needed to be answered.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Recent Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
thanks, I think that is pretty much what I have heard: they have cleaned it up some. But that I don't mean cleaned up the gangs, just some neighborhoods.

I was just back down there YESTERDAY. Thankfully, I am only 7 hours away while making repairs/improvements to the home. It "seemed" quiet...on my block, but I want to spend more time. I do know that the police is DEFINITELY kept busy.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:18 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patois View Post
I can assure you that I am NOT a troll and am capable to demonstrate this. I have knowledge of SOME areas of the country because I went to 5 high schools, did middle school in two separate states, and have made my own choice to live in different areas for college as a young adult. I "understand" where I bought...The question is truly WHY you feel the need to brand me a troll before making an effort to understand that I did research and still had questions that needed to be answered.
Then I apologize if you're not trolling. You bought property in Pine Bluff *after* you did research. That's what made me think there was no way you were for real.

Good luck with your new ventures and renovation.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:38 AM

Default When I Ascertain Realistic Humor

LOL That comment says it all. I bet you're thinking "Who in their right mind DOES that, AFTER doing their homework?" *cough cough* me, I guess.

Let me tell you more about where I'm coming from:

1. I asked because I read threads on here about people 'loving' and preferring Hot Springs, so I was beginning to think I had to look there instead.

2. Then, I actually looked...and discovered that on paper, it's not so different (I had only seen Hot Springs once) For example, their populations are within the same class i.e. mid-size town...There crime rates aren't that far apart. Hot Springs exceeded Pine Bluff in some particular types of crimes...and THEN, I looked at the racial makeup of the town... and then I put it in perspective. I reminded myself "this is The South, even though Louisianans wouldn't consider it so, and that the opinion on the towns may be based on "who lives there." So I wanted to dig further by "asking," but I didn't want to come out and say "Do most people in the forums love dangerous-a** Hot Springs, AR MORE because the city is majority white and hate equally-bad Pine Bluff, AR because it is predominantly "black?"

CLARIFICATION: Pine Bluff does have more murders, but that's about it...aside from the tragic loss of businesses.

3. So what wound up happening is that the nice old, affordable home in Hot Springs SOLD. and I continued viewing Pine Bluff as an option (because I never took it off my list before I finally purchased there)

By the way, I went back down there on Jan. 4, literally just got back last night.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:43 AM

Default Is There a Price on Safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Then I apologize if you're not trolling. You bought property in Pine Bluff *after* you did research. That's what made me think there was no way you were for real.

Good luck with your new ventures and renovation.

Thank you very much for your positive wishes. There is another thing I'm curious about: Why are there so many people that write off a place for having danger, even though it is better-suited for the pocketbook? I have tried emphasizing to people that I've talked to (during my process in Pine Bluff) that I would be saving money to build a better life in the next stage. It's a starter home, and blah, blah, blah...Well, then it occurred to me that I'm not the only one. Opportunists from all over the country bought up properties in New Orleans and some LIVE there,and yep, NOLA is still BAD...I'm not that different. I think having money to save, being able to travel more, and buy myself things I want CAN or MIGHT outweigh the type of area my home is in. Please don't find me silly for using New Orleans in a Pine Bluff analogy/explanation.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patois View Post
Thank you very much for your positive wishes. There is another thing I'm curious about: Why are there so many people that write off a place for having danger, even though it is better-suited for the pocketbook? I have tried emphasizing to people that I've talked to (during my process in Pine Bluff) that I would be saving money to build a better life in the next stage. It's a starter home, and blah, blah, blah...Well, then it occurred to me that I'm not the only one. Opportunists from all over the country bought up properties in New Orleans and some LIVE there,and yep, NOLA is still BAD...I'm not that different. I think having money to save, being able to travel more, and buy myself things I want CAN or MIGHT outweigh the type of area my home is in. Please don't find me silly for using New Orleans in a Pine Bluff analogy/explanation.
not silly but one has to remember, New Orleans has some lovely areas and old charming homes that have been or can be remodeled.. It is also a tourist center plus much larger than Pine Bluff. Pine Bluff, doesn't not offer the same culture or diversity one gets in places like New Orleans. In fact doesn't off the same as Hot Springs as Hot Springs also is a tourist town.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:59 AM

Default No Comparison Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
not silly but one has to remember, New Orleans has some lovely areas and old charming homes that have been or can be remodeled.. It is also a tourist center plus much larger than Pine Bluff. Pine Bluff, doesn't not offer the same culture or diversity one gets in places like New Orleans. In fact doesn't off the same as Hot Springs as Hot Springs also is a tourist town.
TRUE. I have a history with New Orleans and don't think at all that they can even be uttered in the same sentence...Hmm, so what you are saying that that despite the danger of New Orleans, its worth THEIR investment? I read in the Pine Bluff COmmercial that a California rice flour milling company is moving to Pine Bluff...they're supposed to open their doors Jan 2018 creating many jobs...another guy is FIGHTING to develop 10 acres into multifamily housing, and many homes in Pine Bluff are foreclosures waiting to be re-sold...and I'm taking all of this into account to assume that there is a small possibility that even with minute growth, Pine Bluff may attract the attention it needs to turn things around... who knows? I've got fingers crossed.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:05 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
I have deleted my last few messages as I realize it's all about personal preference.

Renovating an older property can be excited and stressful but mostly rewarding in the end.

Last edited by Hollynla; 01-06-2018 at 01:02 PM..

Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 PM

530 posts, read 820,776 times
Pine Bluff has had a lot of loss in a very short time. That's another difference between it and Hot Springs. HS is growing... slowly, but growing... Pine Bluff has been shedding people. In 2000 its population was 57,000 and today its under 40,000. The losses started after cuts by the biggest employers in town. The PB Arsenal and the National Center for Toxicological Research cut well over a thousand jobs just by themselves, plus factories and poultry plants closed too. A town that size losing as many jobs as it did is pretty devastating. But there are a lot of people who hope and believe that it has bottomed out and you are not the only out of stater investing there and trying to help turn it around. It does have things to build on like presence of the University, that it is a historic town as far a Arkansas goes, and it has historically been the biggest town in southern Arkansas and the economic and cultural hub of the delta.

One thing about living in PB though. No if ands or buts, your house will get broken into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas