Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 01:43 PM

437 posts, read 930,029 times

Advertisements

1st q: whatcha mean by a stat being backwards? ENGLISH PLEASE
2nd Q: whatcha mean by stereotypes? is it that hard to use english a 17yr old boy can understand UGHHHH

Old 04-30-2009, 01:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
so what state would you least like to live in? arkansas wouldnt be my pick, but im not fond of heat, humidity, storms and snakes sunning themselves in my rural drive way, so i think id still have to pass on ark.

as far as pple goes, you can find that backward mindset many places. quite a number of racial hate groups through the south, but i notice missouri has more than arkansas does according to the splcenter.org. ark has some very pretty parts, but think id prefer being one of them damn yankees visiting than being a local. SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map

as far as the evil walmart, there were chain stores before walmart was a giant that cluttered and created sprawl. i agree box stores and strip malls are everywhere anymore, and certainly as american as apple pie and a giant suv. my problem with them is they carry mostly junk at now very inflated prices, and due to greed, they are losing that edge of being the one with the low price. i cant believe the price increases on small items, percentage wise. if they continue like this i think they will be shooting themselves in the foot, in the long run. so i really hate them too, but because i despise being cheated. they do come into towns and out price the locals, but the local government lets them in. no one wants to spend more than they have to, especially these days. im not going to contribute to a local store when they are over priced on an item for what ever reason. but to hate the state cuz walmart started there? thats like hating texas cuz the bush is from there.

of course its all a matter of how you live not so much where you live. poor, and alone sucks anyplace, despite the climate and locals attitudes.
gee I wouldn't hate Ar because of Wal-Mart, but maybe the Clintons?? Only kidding. I pretty much agree with you, but I will say, it isn't nearly as hot and humid here as in the true south or Texas. As for the snakes, they are not my friends, but then they do not live on my drive way either.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:59 PM

437 posts, read 930,029 times
what the heck do you all mena by back ward omg

Old 05-02-2009, 01:17 AM

31 posts, read 104,917 times
Default Hate Arkansas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
gee I wouldn't hate Ar because of Wal-Mart, but maybe the Clintons?? Only kidding. I pretty much agree with you, but I will say, it isn't nearly as hot and humid here as in the true south or Texas. As for the snakes, they are not my friends, but then they do not live on my drive way either.
Everyone who "hates" Arkansas, please move to Las Vegas. You will absoutely love it. We have lots of things that Arkansas doesn't have. We offer:

Harry Reid and his son Rory. Our politics are VERY liberal.

Rattlesnakes on the driveway as well as scorpions in the yard. Cute little buggars

Humidity levels under 10% most of the time. Except during monsoon season when it is pouring rain, humid and flooding. We have static even when it's raining. If you haven't experienced 122 degree weather with the hot wind blowing you don't know what you're missing Most of the summer is over 100degrees and it's a long summer.

Very little green. Even our green is brown. Don't like sand? That's OK, most of the valley has a house on it and you can shake your neighbor's hand through the window. Some of our backyards are so big, you cannot fit a BBQ in them. Las Vegas is now going 3 & 4 story with 0 lot lines.

Birds. Wait, what birds? No butterflies either. We do have moths. And locusts. They are kind of neat. They replace the sound of the birds we don't have!

We have racial problems, gang shootings and a skyrocketing crime rate.

We are the RE foreclosure capital of the USA and unemployment is over 10% so you can get a house real cheap. You just can't pay for it.

We do have pretty lights at night. Of course the traffic is so bad around those lights no one in their right mind goes to look at them. Oh yeah. Traffic. Unbelievable.

And we have lots of Wal-marts. Thank God for Wal-mart. They are the only business hiring!

One more thing. Look-up where "redneck" came from. You might be surprised.

We will be coming to NWA at the end of this month if all goes as planned. Hope to see all you friendly folk while we are there!

Old 05-02-2009, 08:58 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAngel97 View Post
Everyone who "hates" Arkansas, please move to Las Vegas. You will absoutely love it. We have lots of things that Arkansas doesn't have. We offer:

Harry Reid and his son Rory. Our politics are VERY liberal.

Rattlesnakes on the driveway as well as scorpions in the yard. Cute little buggars

Humidity levels under 10% most of the time. Except during monsoon season when it is pouring rain, humid and flooding. We have static even when it's raining. If you haven't experienced 122 degree weather with the hot wind blowing you don't know what you're missing Most of the summer is over 100degrees and it's a long summer.

Very little green. Even our green is brown. Don't like sand? That's OK, most of the valley has a house on it and you can shake your neighbor's hand through the window. Some of our backyards are so big, you cannot fit a BBQ in them. Las Vegas is now going 3 & 4 story with 0 lot lines.

Birds. Wait, what birds? No butterflies either. We do have moths. And locusts. They are kind of neat. They replace the sound of the birds we don't have!

We have racial problems, gang shootings and a skyrocketing crime rate.

We are the RE foreclosure capital of the USA and unemployment is over 10% so you can get a house real cheap. You just can't pay for it.

We do have pretty lights at night. Of course the traffic is so bad around those lights no one in their right mind goes to look at them. Oh yeah. Traffic. Unbelievable.

And we have lots of Wal-marts. Thank God for Wal-mart. They are the only business hiring!

One more thing. Look-up where "redneck" came from. You might be surprised.

We will be coming to NWA at the end of this month if all goes as planned. Hope to see all you friendly folk while we are there!
OK....OK....all that's good & well...but the real issue is, do you accept redheads?

I mean, well, I got some friends that are redheads, now..understand that some of them dye their hair to hide it, because you know Arkansas is a redhead hating state.

All they really want to do is be free to let their long red locks blow in the breeze, like every body else.

So...I don't mind if your city is on the verge of financial collapse, has no potable drinking water, is infested with rattlesnakes, is so hot it cannot sustain life, and is trying valiantly to become the crime capital of the U.S., I just gotta know....

How do y'all feel about redheads?

Old 06-15-2009, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,431 times
Default Why people hate Arkansas....

I never thought anything about AR, thought it was a state just like any other until I moved here a year ago. And I live in a larger town (55,000 people) and everyone here (businesses and people) are way behind the times and rude to people from Texas (where I'm from) who they apparently dislike (heard that from a few diff. people who live here). The main mode of communication is still the fax machine from 1994 and you can't pay most bills or buy gas with a credit card. What year is this again? For being a college town a lot of people here are uneducated not to mention rude and slow. Places like this are the reason people in the rest of the U.S and the world think people from the south are slow and stupid. Hello Arkansas! It's 2009 time to move ahead with the rest of the world. Even Little Rock (a "big" city) has barely anything to it, no culture and nothing to do that can't be done in one weekend and then never again, it's like a different world here. I've been to many other states and this is the weirdest place I've ever been and the strangest people I have ever met. If considering moving here...I say change your mind.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:54 PM

163 posts, read 616,784 times
Ladedah, you wouldn't happen to know a fellow Texan going by the name Dave? You would really hit it off with him.

I didn't catch you at the Mozart in the Gardens free concert the other night in the Botanical Gardens. Or at the Farmers Market on Saturday morning. Will you be going to the hear The Jack Mitchell Band during the week. That too is a free concert. The Firefly Festival, music at the library ........

I'm been to many States and countries all over the world, and guess where I picked to live?
Yep, that slow college town in NWA.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladedah View Post
I never thought anything about AR, thought it was a state just like any other until I moved here a year ago. And I live in a larger town (55,000 people) and everyone here (businesses and people) are way behind the times and rude to people from Texas (where I'm from) who they apparently dislike (heard that from a few diff. people who live here). The main mode of communication is still the fax machine from 1994 and you can't pay most bills or buy gas with a credit card. What year is this again? For being a college town a lot of people here are uneducated not to mention rude and slow. Places like this are the reason people in the rest of the U.S and the world think people from the south are slow and stupid. Hello Arkansas! It's 2009 time to move ahead with the rest of the world. Even Little Rock (a "big" city) has barely anything to it, no culture and nothing to do that can't be done in one weekend and then never again, it's like a different world here. I've been to many other states and this is the weirdest place I've ever been and the strangest people I have ever met. If considering moving here...I say change your mind.
We pay 90% of our bills on line and pay for our gas with credit cards, the reason we pay for gas with CC, we get a rebate.. As for paying bills with CCards, I was under the impression we are supposed to pay our bills with checks or cash, what kind of bills are you talking about?

As for the "rest of the world" care to tell us how many places you have been in the world and how many people you have discuused the pros and cons about AR with? Most people in other parts of the world have never heard of AR..

Moderator cut: inappropriate comment
Nita

Last edited by leorah; 06-15-2009 at 08:47 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 08:44 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
Ladedah, you wouldn't happen to know a fellow Texan going by the name Dave? You would really hit it off with him.

I didn't catch you at the Mozart in the Gardens free concert the other night in the Botanical Gardens. Or at the Farmers Market on Saturday morning. Will you be going to the hear The Jack Mitchell Band during the week. That too is a free concert. The Firefly Festival, music at the library ........

I'm been to many States and countries all over the world, and guess where I picked to live?
Yep, that slow college town in NWA.
I don't think Ladedah lives in Fayetteville. I'm guessing Jonesboro or Conway.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladedah View Post
Agree 100%. It gets under my skin that people around here consider a podunk hick town like Little Rock a "big city". I have given myself three years to get out of this dump and I am not looking back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas