Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 01:25 PM

86 posts, read 255,277 times

Advertisements

think the best drink in the world is sweet tea,
-----------------------
It's not? It is amazing how many places have no clue that sweet tea is or how to make it.

-----------------------------------------------
Arkansas is just terrible. really, really, really...

Arkansas is just terrible. really, really, really bad. you absolutely do not want to live here ever, ever. it is just awful. (wink, wink)
stay far, far away from this horrid, horrible place. (wink,...

Old 12-15-2008, 01:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancygal View Post
think the best drink in the world is sweet tea,
-----------------------
It's not? It is amazing how many places have no clue that sweet tea is or how to make it.

-----------------------------------------------
Arkansas is just terrible. really, really, really...

Arkansas is just terrible. really, really, really bad. you absolutely do not want to live here ever, ever. it is just awful. (wink, wink)
stay far, far away from this horrid, horrible place. (wink,...
Actually the "sweet Tea" thing has become a joke with us. The first year our granddaughter had Thanksgiving dinner with them they offered her, sweet tea or Dr Pepper, well she choose just some water. Of course the family decided she wasn't very festive if she didn't want sweet tea or Dr Pepper. Being a true throw off of her mom and grandma, she wanted to ask for the wine, now that is festive;; of course she didn't...

Nita

Old 12-15-2008, 02:19 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
I don't think many people know about Ar-KANSAS other than some diamond mines, bill clinton, and the plethora of gang bangers in little rock. chalk it up to ignorance. plus it is land locked.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I don't think many people know about Ar-KANSAS other than some diamond mines, bill clinton, and the plethora of gang bangers in little rock. chalk it up to ignorance. plus it is land locked.
Think you are close to right, look at some other states that were considered the bottom of the barrell for years, like GA, the Carolinas, even Fl and Texas. Demographics change, attitudes change and perceptions change. Oklahoma is the perfect example, as well as Austin TX, AZ and many other places.

Of course many of us don't want to see our state become another Texas or GA. Nothing wrong with either place, but we like our little peace of Heaven..

Nita

Old 12-15-2008, 03:42 PM

23 posts, read 117,610 times
give me Arkansas any day of the week, I don't live there YET but as soon as we can afford to move there we ae coming!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnisledLady View Post
give me Arkansas any day of the week, I don't live there YET but as soon as we can afford to move there we ae coming!!!!!!!!!!
and we look forward to you joining our state. This is what we need, people who want to live here...not those who think we are a bunch of losers...

Nita

Old 12-15-2008, 05:31 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
When i hear of Arkansas i think of ma & pa kettle & their kids.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:39 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
When i hear of Arkansas i think of ma & pa kettle & their kids.
I thought The Kettles lived way out on Cape Flattery, (Washington)....am I wrong?

I'll admit that they didn't SEEM like typical residents of Washington....(for THAT matter, Bob Newhart's bedraggled neighbors "Larry , Darrel, and Darrel" hardly fit the typical profile of Vermonters, either)...but Cape Flattery is in Washington.

Perhaps the Kettles had recently MIGRATED from Arkansas...where they might have been former neighbors of "Larry, D an D"....

Old 12-15-2008, 06:00 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I thought The Kettles lived way out on Cape Flattery, (Washington)....am I wrong?

I'll admit that they didn't SEEM like typical residents of Washington....(for THAT matter, Bob Newhart's bedraggled neighbors "Larry , Darrel, and Darrel" hardly fit the typical profile of Vermonters, either)...but Cape Flattery is in Washington.

Perhaps the Kettles had recently MIGRATED from Arkansas...where they might have been former neighbors of "Larry, D an D"....
I was just generalizing.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Where did I say that? I was simply challenging your logic that "yankee" is only a term and, therefore, no offense should be taken. Do you think that African-Americans could ever view the n-word as just a "term"? Fact is, when northerners like myself come down south and we hear it, we know it's either meant to be derogatory or to ridicule. You may not see this living in NWA, where apparently many outsiders have relocated. In other parts of the state, however -- particularly in the Jonesboro area in which I resided -- some have views of the people and culture north of the Mason-Dixon that borders on paranoid and delusional. Mostly it's just uninformed.

Certainly there are some up here with misguided views of Arkansas. I graduated from high school and college in Arkansas, and I feel that my education stacks well against the Indiana, Purdue and Notre Dame grads I rub shoulders with daily. I've had some express shock at the intelligence I portray given that I was educated in Arkansas (maybe I'm just a good actor?). I've heard jokes about outhouses, lack of teeth, marrying cousins, no shoes, etc. It's all nonsense.

Yes, it's wrong for folks to move to Arkansas and try to make the locals feel inferior. But that's a two-way street. Care to guess how many times I heard that I, as a Roman Catholic, was going to burn in hell?
So how do you think the people of Arkansas who arent Catholic feel when Catholics use the term "the one true Church?" Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas