Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:07 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times

Advertisements

After re=reading the OP's post, perhaps I am wrong and she already has a job.

If she does, my post was a moot point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 04:31 PM

16 posts, read 36,675 times
Quote:
but its on such a steep incline and we've wondered about getting in and out in the icy winters as well.
Our roads may be slick one or 2 days on average annually, but it is a rare year to have that be a problem more than say 5 days. Just don't build your driveway on a slope unless you want to slide out into traffic or as bad, slide thru the back of your garage... Happens all the time in Bella Vista and elsewhere.

We've had more power outages in winters in 2007-09 than the whole rest of my life here...and I have lived here since we got electricity...1950. I was out 4 days one lick last winter. Other people I know were out for over 3 weeks.

Buy a propane generator with a back up system to auto kick in when your power goes out and keep the trees trimmed back for power lines and the house...you'll be OK

Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,376 times
Mountain roads = narrow and windy, which lengthens your commuting time. Keep in mind that it may take 20-30 minutes to travel 10 miles! Power outages ARE indeed common, and employment is very hard to find in rural areas...

Old 05-11-2011, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,102 times
Just don't build your driveway on a slope unless you want to slide out into traffic or as bad, slide thru the back of your garage... Happens all the time in Bella Vista and elsewhere.

===============================

<a href="http://www.caravanmarket.com.au/">caravan sales</a>

Old 05-12-2011, 05:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey.jones View Post
Just don't build your driveway on a slope unless you want to slide out into traffic or as bad, slide thru the back of your garage... Happens all the time in Bella Vista and elsewhere.

===============================

<a href="http://www.caravanmarket.com.au/">caravan sales</a>
this thread is 3 years old, I bet they have already made a decision and have done the building. BTW, this does not happen all the time in Bella Vista. We have lived here 3 years and I don't know one person who has slid through the garage. As for sliding into traffic, that would be pretty hard, where would one live in Bella Vista where there is that much traffic?

Nita

Old 02-25-2014, 11:51 AM

12 posts, read 43,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
this thread is 3 years old, I bet they have already made a decision and have done the building. BTW, this does not happen all the time in Bella Vista. We have lived here 3 years and I don't know one person who has slid through the garage. As for sliding into traffic, that would be pretty hard, where would one live in Bella Vista where there is that much traffic?

Nita
I haven't visited this site in awhile. Actually, we haven't built yet. We're currently in the process of weighing our options of building or finding another property in the area. If you saw the layout of our land, you'd see that there is a great chance of sliding. It's literally a mountain side and the road goes (it seems) straight up. It's difficult just to walk straight up the road. Call us crazy, I know. The incline is great and there is no level land. It would be a mountainside home, but after meeting with a couple of contractors at the property last Fall, we're not too sure that's it's an affordable option. Unless some of you in the area have some referrals for home builders. We're looking at a mountainside cabin plan. Anyone know of anyone who could build such a home...preferably someone who has built mountainside homes before and knows what they're doing?

Old 02-25-2014, 12:05 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIEIO View Post
I haven't visited this site in awhile. Actually, we haven't built yet. We're currently in the process of weighing our options of building or finding another property in the area. If you saw the layout of our land, you'd see that there is a great chance of sliding. It's literally a mountain side and the road goes (it seems) straight up. It's difficult just to walk straight up the road. Call us crazy, I know. The incline is great and there is no level land. It would be a mountainside home, but after meeting with a couple of contractors at the property last Fall, we're not too sure that's it's an affordable option. Unless some of you in the area have some referrals for home builders. We're looking at a mountainside cabin plan. Anyone know of anyone who could build such a home...preferably someone who has built mountainside homes before and knows what they're doing?

It sounds as though despite conceding the driveway is going to be a problem, you are intent on building there.

Good luck. Don't say you weren't warned.

By the way................the area I live in is not as steep as yours yet our school district has had 18 days of cancelled school this winter due to the public back roads being impossible.

I hate to imagine how a long, very steep, driveway would have fared this winter.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:03 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
I know people who have built on terrain like that, and they've built earth houses. It's perfect. Dig into the side, pour concrete, and go. A buddy of mine that lived in one of those for years said nobody belived what heating and cooling costs were. Virtually non-existant.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:11 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
I know people who have built on terrain like that, and they've built earth houses. It's perfect. Dig into the side, pour concrete, and go. A buddy of mine that lived in one of those for years said nobody belived what heating and cooling costs were. Virtually non-existant.

..........."Dig into the side".......

In the rocks of the Ozarks ?

Going to be hard and very expensive !

Old 02-25-2014, 03:38 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
If they can dig into the side of the Rockies here, they can dig into the side of the Ozarks. Dennis Weaver Earthship he built here.

Earthship Mansion - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: