Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 01:56 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
... and no one is claiming AR is heaven here on earth but it is better than a lot of states.I can not claim to have lived in 7 states. ...
Well, I have lived in 4 states and 3 other countries, and I will say that it is heaven on earth

I wouldn't have moved here if it weren't

(Someone in TX thought I would be happy as a tick on a dog,
and I think they are right.)

Cons: if you don't like snow and ice, well, we do have four seasons.
That may include a day of snow or ice, from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 05:18 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
Anyone have any firsthand/anecdotal input on Springdale, AR ?

Just overall general impressions, and what have you.
Would probably be best to start a separate thread for that.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:45 AM

1,665 posts, read 973,349 times
As long as we don't have to deal with this insane heat and humidity, we'll be ok. Kudos to the one from Louisiana. I know that you understand where I come from on this!

I just can't wait to head up next month. I'm ready for a road trip and to explore, look for new places.

I'm not bothered by the snakes. Not scared. Now my wife, that's a different story. I don't bother them and when it's in my way, I find ways to move it.

Just hoping there will be mom and pop places to eat! Especially for bbq too.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:02 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
As long as we don't have to deal with this insane heat and humidity, we'll be ok. Kudos to the one from Louisiana. I know that you understand where I come from on this!

I just can't wait to head up next month. I'm ready for a road trip and to explore, look for new places.

I'm not bothered by the snakes. Not scared. Now my wife, that's a different story. I don't bother them and when it's in my way, I find ways to move it.

When we moved here, getting away from the heat/humidity was on top the list as well. As we were told then, try to get above 1200' elevation and there is less humidity and more breeze. I'm at 2200' (I took no chances lol) and I can definitely say it's true. When we travel to other parts of the state, I can tell a difference in the heat and also the cold since we remain colder in the winter. So head to the northern part of the state in the ozarks to escape that.

As for snakes, we do have copperheads here. I live "in the woods" and surrounded by forest land and we kill about 4 copperheads per year. The only other venomous snake is a timber rattler but they're rare. I haven't ever seen one. No cottonmouths around me since we're up too high and no water. I saw more snakes living in south Louisiana than here.

The small towns you'll go through in the ozarks have mostly all mom & pop cafe's and most of them are very good. I know around me, the Ozark Cafe, Blue Mountain bakery (owned by a family who lives in Belle Chase), Lowgap Cafe, all great food.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:42 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:

Rivertown BBQ in Ozark, if you go down that far. Mmmmmm......

The Daisy Queen, just south of Harrison on Hwy 7, used to be pretty good. I always got the beans and cornbread, the kids got burgers. They used to have good homemade pies. I haven't been there in years because they close down in the winter (well, they used to) and our spring and fall trips would usually miss the opening/closing by a few days.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
7 states. 20+ years off and on in Arkansas, stretching back to the '70's. That includes more than one place in Arkansas.
Poverty should have an asterisk. Regardless of where I've lived, people usually have homes, food to eat, and basic transportation at minimum. Most have cable, internet, smartphones, etc.
I tend to agree with studies that place Arkansas towards the bottom when compared to other states. That's just been my experience. There's no conspiracy to pick on Arkansas. NWA is an outlier, but even it isn't overly impressive. A lot of states have those kinds of areas. I've yet to see one that doesn't anyway.
Arkansas isn't all bad. Obviously some people like it.
For the OP, I think it's a half-step up from Louisiana no matter how you look at it. Quality of life improvement doesn't seem to be the biggest motivating factor. Scenery and lifestyle change seem to be what they're looking for, which can affect mood and then quality of life can go up in that way. If you like hills and trees, Arkansas can certainly accommodate that.
I noticed there is a tendacy to oversell Arkansas on this forum by a lot of the regulars. But the truth is that your experience drastically depends on what part of the region you are in. There are many cons to Arkansas and potential movers need to be aware.

The worst part is Central Arkansas. It remains thick with crime and some of the god awful drivers in the country. Outside of the nature stuff, the state just doesn't offer a whole lot of amenities. There is only one amusement park for the entire state. Only one big shopping outlet. Arkansas has a horrible outdated highway system with often a single FM road as the only route between cities. Arkansas has a very high sales tax on top of a significant income tax.

Everyone is so crazy about the Razorbacks that it just gets obnoxious and in your face if you are not a fan.
Get used to seeing Razorbacks everywhere even on people's license plate. As for the people, my experience is that common courtesy is not as prevalent as other states like Texas. I often encounter a coldness to people even if they are polite. it's like they just spray on polite perfume to cover up the rest. I've had countless experiences of just bad customer service from local businesses like restaurants keeping you waiting hours to get your meal and then not even caring that you are upset.

I realize I'm being nitpicky, but all those nitpicks add up.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:08 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
Quote:

I think if you are considering Fort Smith and want a place where you can raise animals on land, you should check out the smaller towns between Fayetteville and Fort Smith. Winslow, West Fork, Mountainburg. Any of the above would be do-able commutes to Fayetteville or Fort Smith.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:46 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
When we moved here, getting away from the heat/humidity was on top the list as well. As we were told then, try to get above 1200' elevation and there is less humidity and more breeze. I'm at 2200' (I took no chances lol) and I can definitely say it's true. When we travel to other parts of the state, I can tell a difference in the heat and also the cold since we remain colder in the winter. So head to the northern part of the state in the ozarks to escape that.
I wanted to be a little closer to water, so I am closer to 700 feet.
(I didn't even know there were homes above 2200 feet )

Old 03-19-2018, 01:15 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
They always say there are lots of outdoor activities to do in Arkansas. The problem is it's so hot and humid during the summer the only thing you can do is sit inside sipping a mint julep was sitting in front of a large fan. Arkansas is plagued by heat, humidity and rattlesnakes.
Caves! You can explore caves! See Blanchard Springs Caverns - gorgeous, and comfortably cool year-round. It's the queen of the many Arkansas caverns.

Plus there are a wealth of clean, spring-fed creeks and rivers in NWA. Enjoy your mint julep and a float trip or a creek dip at the same time.

There are beautiful lakes throughout Arkansas, so water sports are understandably popular in the summer months, and can start early and extend well into fall some years. Of course boating and fishing are 12-month activities.

Don't forget Arkansas's beautiful mountaintop state parks. I don't think you'd be unduly plagued with heat and humidity atop Petit Jean, Mount Magazine (the highest peak between the Appalachians and the Rockies), or at Mount Nebo or Queen Wilhelmina State Parks.

Sit inside, indeed.

If it's hot, and you can't visit a cave or a mountain or a lake or creek, then just find a shady screened porch, a rocking chair or porch swing, a glass of lemonade or Arkansas's own Grapette Cola, or a slice of Hope watermelon, and zone out. Very relaxing, and a lot more comfortable than freezing inside because of overly keyed-up AC.

Why do you think Arkansans of an earlier generation had all those sleeping porches built onto their homes? They knew how to make the weather work with them!

Old 03-19-2018, 05:59 PM

383 posts, read 399,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Copperheads too. My parents live on the golf course in Fairfield Bay and they kill at least 2 to 3 copperheads a week on their back porch. Arkansas was just too hot and humid for this Alaska boy. Plus I raised the ire of the neighbors and local police when I blasted one of those snakes with the shotgun. Apparently the accepted method is to slaughter them with the shovel. I ain't gettin' that close. We spent 8 weeks in Arkansas and that seemed to be 7 1/2 weeks too long. Maybe it'd be more agreeable in late fall or early winter.
You can get snake shot loads for your pistol as well. I've only used them on targets so far. They look like they would be effective. We are dog keepers to help with the varmints and cattle around the homestead. If we move to AR, I would get a few Jack Russel's. They would help keep the property clear.

I'm with you, I'm not taking after a diamondback or copperhead with a shovel. Not at this point in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas