Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 03:42 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times

Advertisements

There's a very realistic, life-size resin model of a full-grown mountain lion in the Mt. Magazine State Park Visitors' Center's excellent natural history exhibit. MM was once part of mountain lions' natural range (not sure if the big cats are back there or not - but black bears are certainly calling MM home once more).

Perhaps a trip to MM for comparison purposes might be in order.

It's hard to make out many details from your picture - but could this animal be a young mountain lion, hence smaller and less muscular than a full-grown critter, and more bobcat-sized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 03:57 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
OP, I lightened the original picture for you. If you look closely, you can see the spots and stumpy tail. It's a bobcat, imho.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
What makes you think this?

I've seen many bobcats around here, they aren't much bigger than a housecat and they tend to be dark shaded with spots. The faces are furry, but more house cat looking. I just don't see bobcat when I look at the picture. The body also looks fairly long to me. The face, the broad jawline, the shape of the head and body, the color, and the size also tells me cougar rather than bobcat.

Are most of you saying bobcat because the tail isn't obvious?
The size relative to a blade of grass is too small for an adult mountain lion.

We have neighborhood bobcats in the city and suburbs of Dallas. One naps on my neighbor's lawn furniture. They can get quite a big bigger than the housecats.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:04 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
OP, I lightened the original picture for you. If you look closely, you can see the spots and stumpy tail. It's a bobcat, imho.
The tail, or lack thereof is what made me question it the most. I still don't see any spots, just normal shading from the night camera.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
There's a very realistic, life-size resin model of a full-grown mountain lion in the Mt. Magazine State Park Visitors' Center's excellent natural history exhibit. MM was once part of mountain lions' natural range (not sure if the big cats are back there or not - but black bears are certainly calling MM home once more).

Perhaps a trip to MM for comparison purposes might be in order.

It's hard to make out many details from your picture - but could this animal be a young mountain lion, hence smaller and less muscular than a full-grown critter, and more bobcat-sized?
I have been wanting to go visit that area. We know for sure that we have mountain lions in the area. In 2012, the popular video off of a game camera was in Fallsville which isn't far from us. That's when the Fish & Game finally had to admit they were here. I know many who have seen them, some have pics. Vet told me there were two small dogs killed by one last year right across the mountain from my property. We know they're here, that's not even a question.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The size relative to a blade of grass is too small for an adult mountain lion.

We have neighborhood bobcats in the city and suburbs of Dallas. One naps on my neighbor's lawn furniture. They can get quite a big bigger than the housecats.
Yeah, if it were a ML, it's not full grown. I remember late last year, a person who owns neighboring property said one was seen on the dirt road leading to us, but it was very young. Who knows.

I think there's not way to know for certain, the picture quality is too bad.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:53 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,773 times
Quote:
What makes you think this?

I've seen many bobcats around here, they aren't much bigger than a housecat and they tend to be dark shaded with spots. The faces are furry, but more house cat looking. I just don't see bobcat when I look at the picture. The body also looks fairly long to me. The face, the broad jawline, the shape of the head and body, the color, and the size also tells me cougar rather than bobcat.

Are most of you saying bobcat because the tail isn't obvious?
Yeah, I'm still thinking it's a large bobcat. The profile seems to have the jacked up hindquarters that some bobcats seem to have. But it is not clear to me either of course. Still a real neat photo to catch.

FWIW here's one with the longish back legs and high hips

Mountain lions are around, I saw an adult crossing a dirt road in front of me about 3 years ago in Oklahoma. Very exciting thing to see for sure

Maybe you could place a yardstick right in that location and take another photo from exactly where that camera is? May be able to make a better guess then.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:45 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
I have been wanting to go visit that area. We know for sure that we have mountain lions in the area. In 2012, the popular video off of a game camera was in Fallsville which isn't far from us. That's when the Fish & Game finally had to admit they were here. I know many who have seen them, some have pics. Vet told me there were two small dogs killed by one last year right across the mountain from my property. We know they're here, that's not even a question.
It was still wintry atop Mount Magazine last week - but beautiful. I was last there on July 4, 1970, and was impressed by the state park's thoughtful additions, though the present luxury-resort-like-accommodations are a huge contrast to the original historic and rustic lodge, which burned (arson) in February, 1971. Still, it was great to be able to drive around the flattish mountaintop, and there are spectacular views of the valley 2,000+ feet below.

Good pizza at the restaurant, too!

Old 04-13-2018, 07:41 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Bobcat. You can barely make out the bobbed tail.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:06 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
Not sure if that's a mountain lion.

But this is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O16kGZ-Gm74
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas