Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 05:17 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
I saw the pic originally don't know why it disappeared.

It was a pic of a placid body of water.
I saw it as well, but now it's gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 05:49 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
From his description, that may have been Norfork lake, but
he was talking about "highways" so it may have been an error
that he deleted, but then couldn't get the replacement to take.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:07 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
There are 2 long bridges over Norfork: U.S. 62/412, and state hwy 101. If you take a picture of one of those, water will be in the picture. I'm all too familiar with both.
The U.S. highway is almost tolerable.
State route 101 is an older road in serious need of repair or a significant upgrade. It wouldn't have to be some big wide intrusive thing, just a better road bed and a little more shoulder width.
That's an issue for most Ozark roads. Even when they're newly paved, they're not necessarily "smooth" because of old road beds in bad need of upgrading. This does seem to contribute to car sickness in some people. All those little dips and bumps take their toll after a little while on a trip.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
There are 2 long bridges over Norfork: U.S. 62/412, and state hwy 101. If you take a picture of one of those, water will be in the picture. I'm all too familiar with both.
The U.S. highway is almost tolerable.
State route 101 is an older road in serious need of repair or a significant upgrade. It wouldn't have to be some big wide intrusive thing, just a better road bed and a little more shoulder width.
That's an issue for most Ozark roads. Even when they're newly paved, they're not necessarily "smooth" because of old road beds in bad need of upgrading. This does seem to contribute to car sickness in some people. All those little dips and bumps take their toll after a little while on a trip.
Has it been a while?

The ones in Baxter, Izard, Stone, Fulton,
and Independence counties, today, are in pretty good shape.
Some of the ones in Marion County aren't real good, but some are.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:34 PM
sub

No, I travel these roads a lot.
Some are okay. Others not so much. The newly paved ones could still be better with the smoothness and overall design, but it is what it is.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:02 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
No, I travel these roads a lot.
Some are okay. Others not so much. The newly paved ones could still be better with the smoothness and overall design, but it is what it is.
I'm also confused about the supposed bad highways in the ozarks. I live here in the thick of the ozarks and drive them daily and they are all in very good shape.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I'm also confused about the supposed bad highways in the ozarks. I live here in the thick of the ozarks and drive them daily and they are all in very good shape.
I live here and drive them daily too, and most are in good shape.
But then, I am a bit SE of where I suspect Sub drives,
so he may have a different experience.

Also, if he drives for someone like ABF Freight, he will see
a wider variety of roads than you or I. (You know them
as Upack, and they deliver, literally, everywhere.)

Old 06-20-2018, 02:32 PM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I was just trying to clarify that the picture could be both of the highway and the water, but I never saw it, so I can't be certain.
The rest was an attempt to stay on topic.
I said "almost tolerable" in that the U.S. highways are not quite as crooked and narrow as the secondary routes. Generally, they're smooth enough except for the slightly noticeable dips and bumps.
A lot of states have the same issues.
And yes, some roads are in need of some extra attention.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:24 PM

9 posts, read 13,846 times
Thanks a lot for this information!

Old 08-04-2018, 05:04 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,738,739 times
Please forgive me for butting in from another state.
Here in Northern California, in a small mountain town at 1,700 feet elevation, the two major concerns are:

Forest fires
and
The price / lack of availability of property insurance. It is nearly impossible to get new or change homeowners insurance because most large companies like State Farm, Farmers, Geico refuse to accept new clients. It has to do with the fires we have all over.
Car insurance is easy.

If you don't mind, what are things Arkansas residents worry about the most?

Last edited by mgforshort; 08-04-2018 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas