Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:38 AM

8,728 posts, read 4,518,249 times

Advertisements

Scored Some Cantaloupe from Cabot, and Some Blackberries
from a farm 20 miles South of Mountain Home.

Decided to replace the thread, and name, for what we actually discuss in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 01:00 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,635,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Scored Some Cantaloupe from Cabot, and Some Blackberries
from a farm 20 miles South of Mountain Home.

Decided to replace the thread, and name, for what we actually discuss in it.
I'm patiently waiting for the local grown green beans so I can buy several bags full and can them for the year. I still have a few jars left from last season. I usually buy all the okra one of the farmers has and freeze it for use in gumbos throughout the winter. The local nectarines will be out soon too. I heard many of those trees were affected by the late season freezes.

I'm growing tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro, jalapenos ,and green onions. I lost a lot of plants by planting them too soon and it got too cold. Lesson learned for next year. Nothing is getting planted till the first of May.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:32 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I'm patiently waiting for the local grown green beans so I can buy several bags full and can them for the year. I still have a few jars left from last season. I usually buy all the okra one of the farmers has and freeze it for use in gumbos throughout the winter. The local nectarines will be out soon too. I heard many of those trees were affected by the late season freezes.

I'm growing tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro, jalapenos ,and green onions. I lost a lot of plants by planting them too soon and it got too cold. Lesson learned for next year. Nothing is getting planted till the first of May.
We got our first locally grown beans last Sat at our very small, farmers market. We love the big farmers markets but head to the little one with only about 6 vendors in Gravette. Everything they sell comes right out of their fields. They usually have pictures of the produce growing at various stages. I also got beets last week but that is the end for the season. Now we are seeing tomatoes and squash. I am growing my own of both so will, most likely not purchase either from them. Well that depends on whether or not I can control the squash bugs this year.

Holly, we also lost a lot of our early planting. Usually it is safe, here in NWA to plant in early to mid April, not this year. It just means we will have to wait a few extra weeks for our first picking. I do have about 6 or 8 cherry tomatoes waiting to be picked. That and i have picked a lot of jalapenos. I did buy small tomato and pepper plants, they are not from seed. Oh, and I have lots of basil. In fact will probably make some pesto this weekend and freeze it.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:06 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,824,527 times
There was, years ago, a small watermelon stand in Wesley (Madison County). You picked out a watermelon and put money in a bucket. Best watermelons I ever had.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
There was, years ago, a small watermelon stand in Wesley (Madison County). You picked out a watermelon and put money in a bucket. Best watermelons I ever had.
My wife can't believe places like this exist, even though we have been here for months.
She is from "the city" and places like that would be looted, even in good times.

We were passing through Gassville (just outside Mountain Home) and stopped at a BarBQ place for lunch. One of the side orders was Corn on the Cob. Now I have to go find a farmer market with some of that, because I haven't been able to get it "farm fresh" for many years. From WalMart is just not the same.

Also noticed, there was a bucket full of eggs, and a drop box
in the BBQ, and a sign said $2.99 a dozen. No one watching.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Now I'm wanting watermelon.
We have a few of the self pay produce stands around too.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Now I'm wanting watermelon.
We have a few of the self pay produce stands around too.
wish we did.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Still got Cantaloupe from Arkansas, but now the little store I go to
has tomatoes and sweet corn from Arkansas too.

They call it two tone or bi-color or something like that because
some of the kernels are white. (I suspect it tastes the same.)

They also had peaches from South Carolina, but expect
to get Arkansas peaches very soon now.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Still got Cantaloupe from Arkansas, but now the little store I go to
has tomatoes and sweet corn from Arkansas too.

They call it two tone or bi-color or something like that because
some of the kernels are white. (I suspect it tastes the same.)

They also had peaches from South Carolina, but expect
to get Arkansas peaches very soon now.
yep, AR peaches should be here in another week or two. We are getting corn once a week or so. Actually we could get it everyday but that is too much for us. Once every week or two is plenty. Sat I will be hitting our local small farmers market. I know they will have plenty of green beans.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:32 PM

I have picked my first few tomatoes out of my garden this week. I'll be making my homemade salsa with my own tomatoes next week and I'm pretty excited about that. Jalapenos shouldn't be far behind. We make our own fresh salsa at least once a week. It's so good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas