Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM

4 posts, read 8,169 times

Advertisements

OK, this is gonna be kind of long, so bear with me:

I am 23 years old, male, gay (but single), and have a very mild case of Asperger's syndrome. And I don't drive, but I'm planning on learning.

I was born in Tulsa, but was raised in Fort Smith and lived there till I was 17, when my mother and I moved to Rogers so she could get married.
To make a long story short(er), my stepfather lost his job in December and has been unemployed ever since. Before this happened, the plan was to move into a larger house and then build a seperate, smaller suite for me to live in, and I would simply pay a rent. Obviously, this won't happen now. Oh, and I haven't been able to find a job either.
If my stepfather can't find employment, we will have to move to Tulsa or Kansas City. Now, Tulsa I am fine with; I have family there and have visited many times. KC, OTOH, seems really far away and is a much bigger city than I have ever lived in.

Even if we don't have to move, I want to end up living on my own someday. So my question is: could I make it in Fort Smith? My main reason is it's familiar to me. The only family I have there are some uncles and aunts, only one of whom gives a damn about me, and she's 86 years old.
So what do you think?
If you have any other questions about me or anything else, please feel free to ask them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Fort Smith can be kind of standoffish to outsiders or those who are different from the norm. If you don't know how to play the social game, it can be very hard to break in. I have social anxiety, which shares many of the social symptoms with Asperger's syndrome and didn't make any friends the six years I lived in Fort Smith. The fact you are gay won't help because gays aren't very accepted in Fort Smith. I think there is a gay bar though so you could probably use that as your outlet for making connections. As far as employment, its a manufacturing town, so you might be able to find something with one of the factories.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:51 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Brad, please forgive my bumbling here - just trying to brainstorm a little bit!

You don't mention what type of employment or if you have any post high school education - Do you have any desire to attend U of A Ft. Smith? That might be a good way to dip your toe in the water and see if this town is for you and if you could "make it" there. Do you know if you qualify for any help from the state such as social services/social worker to help you acclimate and perhaps help you find employment and a place to live close to campus or close to work until you get your license? I know there is also a Technical Center that is associated with U of A that you might look into and see if anything appeals to you if you're not interested in pursuing a four year degree:

WATC Home | University of Arkansas - Fort Smith

I don't think Ft. Smith is very advanced in the public transportation department, so I'd think until you are driving you would need something within walking or biking distance to either. Could you possibly live with your aunt for a short period of time while you pursue employment or schooling?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:35 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,690,297 times
Transit
I know there is a new place called the movie lounge opening up that has a now hiring sign and there is a bus stop bench basically right out in front. Also they run to the mall, all the walmarts, and the target pavillion which would give you a lot of service industry/retail type places to apply at.
There are parts of fort smith where it wouldn't work but I would say its doable, just look at the route map and take it into consideration when you get a place.

Last edited by ArkansasTgirl; 03-22-2012 at 08:14 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 PM

I have had one job so far, as an assistant in the culinary department of my local community college, but it barely lasted a month before I was told they "had no more work for me" because of my condition.

In addition to high school, I took one year of general college courses and 1 other year of classes to get a certificate in Medical Billing & Coding. I've been told it's next to impossible to get a job in that field unless you've had at least 1 year of experience, so that pretty much counts that out.
I've been trying to find some job in the clerical/data entry/office area in the meantime

Old 03-24-2012, 08:05 PM

Also, I'm definitely considering attending UAFS to continue my college education. I have a cousin there who is doing the same thing

I am also waiting to see if the state qualifies me for SSI

Old 03-25-2012, 11:54 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRadRHS08 View Post
Also, I'm definitely considering attending UAFS to continue my college education. I have a cousin there who is doing the same thing

I am also waiting to see if the state qualifies me for SSI
Are you receiving mental health services? That would be your first step for getting disability. Which you will probably need if you are ever going to live independently.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:18 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,690,297 times
Sodexo at UAFS had a now hiring ad in the local paper recently. Dining Services, UA Fort Smith
Then if you got a place near the school you could walk to school and work. You would also be able to catch the shuttle that goes to the mall and the Grand ave bus.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:14 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Are you receiving mental health services? That would be your first step for getting disability. Which you will probably need if you are ever going to live independently.
SSI usually sends the applicant to a doctor for evaluation.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
SSI usually sends the applicant to a doctor for evaluation.
My understanding is that you need to have a mental health history to qualify for SSI. Two-thirds of SSI applications are rejected. Anyone can apply, but without a documented mental health history, the chance of it getting approved is about zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas