Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 4,154 times

Advertisements

Looking for recent/current travel suggestions. I'm moving from New Orleans to Alma, Arkansas. I'll be driving myself in a Uhaul, towing my car. I will also have two very upset kitty cats in the cab with me (in cages).

Do I have to sacrifice timeliness in order to stay on four lane roads? Recently, I made a round trip from New Orleans to Alma in my car. Going up I took I-10 W to I-49 N. Then in Texarkana I jumped on US 71 N up to I-540 to I-40 E. Yikes, that was a grouling ride and way too much two lane roads, with big hills and steep down offs. Plus I-49 has a lot of construction going on.

On the way back I took I-40 E to I-530 and then let the GPS take over. It took me down a bunch of two lane roads with tons of semis loaded up with sugar cane, etc. and lots and lots of rocks kicking up from the trucks, trackers, and other heavy farming vehicles on the road and, VERY few places to refuel. It was more miserable than the trip up.

Has anyone made this trip lately? I'm looking for good, safe, four lane roads that will take me off I-55 N, get me across Mississippi/Arkansas to reconnect onto I-530 N in Pine Bluff, AR. Or, if you have a different suggestion that would be good for someone driving a Uhaul and towing a vehicle, I love to hear your ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 03:13 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
GPS? Ugg: give me a map any day.

You will add a few miles if you want to stay on 4lane roads. They are smoother and faster, though, so the time difference isn't as much as it would be. How long did it take you from Texarkana to Ft Smith on US-71?

Personally, I take I-30 from Texarkana to near Little Rock I-430 to I-40. I have taken I-40 up thru Ozark, but it was many years ago, so I don't know how good the roads are now. I have also taken the Mena route, (US-71) but then, I have no problem with hills and such.

Someone else can probably give more current route instructions, but that is what I got.

PS: Have you considered I-55 to Memphis, then I-40 West?
I am allergic to big cities but you might do better.
I haven't done the math, but it seems doable.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:59 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Although I have never been traveling to Fort Smith, I usually either take I-55 north to Memphis then west on I-40 or take I-55 north, then get on I-20 west to Vicksburg, then exit at Tellulah and head north on hwy 65 all the way into Little Rock where you can jump on I-40 west to Fort Smith.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:01 PM

340 posts, read 515,390 times
I-55 north out of New Orleans
US61 to Greenville, MS
US65 to Pine Bluff
I-530 to Little Rock
I-40 to Alma

Not a very scenic route, but it’s the fastest route, and mostly 4 lane.

You ought to look into a Budget or Penske truck, much better than UHaul.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:20 AM

996 posts, read 1,235,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
I-55 north out of New Orleans
US61 to Greenville, MS
US65 to Pine Bluff
I-530 to Little Rock
I-40 to Alma

Not a very scenic route, but it’s the fastest route, and mostly 4 lane.

You ought to look into a Budget or Penske truck, much better than UHaul.

+1 for this route /\ /\ /\.
I would not go via Memphis, as I-40 between Memphis & Little Rock is very very congested with trucks ... There are lots if trucks between LR and Alma too, but nothing like between MEM & LR

Old 12-15-2018, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the input! P.S. I prefer maps too!

Old 12-16-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Although I have never been traveling to Fort Smith, I usually either take I-55 north to Memphis then west on I-40 or take I-55 north, then get on I-20 west to Vicksburg, then exit at Tellulah and head north on hwy 65 all the way into Little Rock where you can jump on I-40 west to Fort Smith.
Your suggestion is similar to what I was looking at, the I-55 to I-20 but instead of heading N on US 65, I would head N at Rayville and take US 425 all the way N until it connects to US 65 in Pine Bluff. US 425 looks like a pretty descent road with little towns along the way for gas and snacks. Plus looks of greenery.

My concern is I haven't heard a single person talk about using US 425. US 61 and 65 seem to come up in the most suggestions. I've looked at those routes too but they take you right through the crop lands where you drive miles and miles without coming across gas stations. Since the Uhaul I will be driving and pulling my car on will probably get less than 10 MPG, it worries me to be out there on those roads (US 61 & 65) for such long stretches without gas.

Anyone ever use US 425??

Old 12-16-2018, 07:51 AM

I looked at US 61 and 65 on googles "street view" and these two roads look mostly to be 2 lane roads that go through the crop lands. I'm looking at US 425. Its a combination of 2 and 4 lanes. The two lane sections look good with wide gravel shoulders, lots of scenery, and several small towns with plenty of gas stations.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:10 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsm0105 View Post
I looked at US 61 and 65 on googles "street view" and these two roads look mostly to be 2 lane roads that go through the crop lands. I'm looking at US 425. Its a combination of 2 and 4 lanes. The two lane sections look good with wide gravel shoulders, lots of scenery, and several small towns with plenty of gas stations.
I have never taken 425 so I'm not sure, but I can tell you 65 up from Vicksburg to LR is fine, even with 2 lanes, you can travel at a good speed with little traffic and plenty of small towns along the way to stop for gas and food.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:15 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Do you have to drive uhaul? If you can spend the money, drive it to an Amtrak station then drive it up on a cargo train and let them train it to Little Rock, you can ride in passenger car and drive it off from there and then drive from Little Rock to Alma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas